• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Artwork question for all our resident attorneys
1 1

49 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, the blob said:

Well, you can, but you would be subject to a lawsuit. 

Would you get a cease and desist first or could they go straight to a suit and prove damages or income you garnered?

I guess I'm not following the logic on this one.  Let's say you pay Neal Adams for a Batman commission, he charges you and gets paid yet he doesn't own the licensing rights either.  How is that any different than me selling reproductions of the original artwork I now own and paid him for?

14 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

I guess I'm not following the logic on this one.  Let's say you pay Neal Adams for a Batman commission, he charges you and gets paid yet he doesn't own the licensing rights either.  How is that any different than me selling reproductions of the original artwork I now own and paid him for?

It's my understanding that DC owns the rights and could stop him from making money off drawing their character, if they wanted.  You then taking that image and reproducing it, thats a whole other matter.

5 minutes ago, kav said:
21 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

guess I'm not following the logic on this one.  Let's say you pay Neal Adams for a Batman commission, he charges you and gets paid yet he doesn't own the licensing rights either.  How is that any different than me selling reproductions of the original artwork I now own and paid him for?

It's my understanding that DC owns the rights and could stop him from making money off drawing their character, if they wanted.  You then taking that image and reproducing it, thats a whole other matter.

Is this a reason artists don't draw x rated sketch covers? I imagine there are legal reasons or some such.... Just try putting Harley Quinn original art in ebay... SMH with what some people try and sell, not safe for work by the way...

41 minutes ago, kav said:

Maybe it's in the original contract they signed with the publisher, that is they can redraw the character for money at shows as many times as they want to and until their arm falls off? Otherwise, they aren't enforcing this as artist commissions have become a multimillion dollar a year industry and nobody ever says anything.

2 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Maybe it's in the original contract they signed with the publisher, that is they can redraw the character for money at shows as many times as they want to and until their arm falls off? Otherwise, they aren't enforcing this as artist commissions have become a multimillion dollar a year industry and nobody ever says anything.

I remember reading that it's a courtesy the publisher gives to the artist.

4 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

They consider it a professional courtesy to look the other way for professional comic book artists.