• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 comic with damaged corner
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I purchased an Amazing Spider-Man 252, 9.8 CGC grade from ebay.

When it came I noticed the damages top left corner on the book (see photos).

I might be naive, but is this type of thing normal for a 9.8 CGC grade book ?

Could CGC have missed this ? Or could the case have been dropped by the previous owner ?

Also, when looking at the ebay photos, the problem already existed, but I hadn't noticed (see pics).

Finally, the seller says on the ebay page that he doesn't accept returns.

What should I do ? :(

20181004_195840.jpg

20181004_195817.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

This looks like to me like the first version of the latest slab design with no inner well. The design used pressure to hold the books in place and it became known as the creep engine design because of the slow damage that seemed to incur. This book is no longer a 9.8. It is damaged. You could approach CGC but I would let the seller deal with it. File a claim, do what you have to do, but return this book. BTW, let this be a lesson to look closely at the scans. Good Luck.

25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This looks like to me like the first version of the latest slab design with no inner well. The design used pressure to hold the books in place and it became known as the creep engine design because of the slow damage that seemed to incur. This book is no longer a 9.8. It is damaged. You could approach CGC but I would let the seller deal with it. File a claim, do what you have to do, but return this book. BTW, let this be a lesson to look closely at the scans. Good Luck.

Hi Bomber-Bob, the comic does have an inner well (if you mean the mylar plastic directly touching the comic).

2 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi Bomber-Bob, the comic does have an inner well (if you mean the mylar plastic directly touching the comic).

Then that is the creep engine version, which was discontinued. For future reference, avoid these, you want the book to have an inner well. Your book is damaged inside the slab. Return it, get your money back, file a claim, whatever you need to do, do it. You do not want to keep this book.

I have a 9.8 (old label) that has something similar looking on the front cover. It looks like someone cut the corner with a scissor as close as they could get to the edge and now the little piece is just sort of hanging off. I thought it's probably a printing defect, either ignored or missed by CGC.

1 hour ago, HarrisonJohn said:

I have a 9.8 (old label) that has something similar looking on the front cover. It looks like someone cut the corner with a scissor as close as they could get to the edge and now the little piece is just sort of hanging off. I thought it's probably a printing defect, either ignored or missed by CGC.

Yes, it sounds like a bindery chip that CGC often will ignore. I believe it's still a flaw that should be deducted. It's too easy to play CGC and make an impacted corner look like a bindery chip. If someone indeed took a scissor to that corner and successfully fooled CGC into a 9.8, that's wrong.

On the first "new" slab (creep engine) you couldn't see the sides of the mylar sheets as they were way wider than the book itself.  This is one of the newer holders with the sleeve version of the barex inner well, not the 4 walled deep dish inner well if you know whattamean?

In the extreme close-up of the corner you can see the sonic sealed seam.  The old new holder just had 2 loose mylar sheets with no sonic weld.

Edited by Mystafo

What is the official new name of the latest version on cgc's encapsulation slab ? I wont buy the previous versions because of my experience with the ASM 252... I have a similar problem with an X-Factor 24 I just bought but to to a lesser extent.

20 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

What is the official new name of the latest version on cgc's encapsulation slab ? I wont buy the previous versions because of my experience with the ASM 252... I have a similar problem with an X-Factor 24 I just bought but to to a lesser extent.

Never heard of an 'official' name. Just look to make sure there is an inner well, you want an inner well. I generally look at the upper corners for the very easy to identify gaps. These gaps were meant to protect the corners in case the book shifts. When you buy a book online, look really hard and make sure there is a pic of the BC. Never buy a book without seeing the BC. Scan along all the edges, front and back. If you see something amiss, just pass on it. Contacting the seller will only get you excuses about the quality of the pic, not the book.

7 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Did you pay $700-800 for it?  I'd rather to return it and keep looking for 9.8 quality copy.