• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC art theft

9 posts in this topic

Erik has reported that the cover to Savage Dragon #88 was stolen from the con. The suspect who stole the cover also bought a commission of Savage Dragon from Erik. The commission is also pictured below.

Caitlin Reynolds, Barry Kitsons art rep reports her bag-covered with signatures and a Wolverine doodle- was stolen from behind Barry's table.

erik.jpg

Cait tots.JPG

43255887_2102574326434183_5744558680121016320_n.jpg

erik stol #2.JPG

Edited by Kohei

That is very weird that someone would steal a cover and try to then have it signed.

Is it possible that someone pirated his table when he was away at panels? I've seen sometimes that artists will leave everything on their table and maybe throw a sheet or some plastic over their stuff, or just put it all in some bags below/behind the table. Could someone have jumped behind for a short time and sell something to keep the money? Just seems crazy to steal something and then ask the artist to sign it a few minutes later. I'm assuming it was kept in a portfolio so for it to be stolen the portfolio must've been there when Erik wasn't there or extremely distracted.

2 hours ago, Dokstarr said:

I'm assuming it was kept in a portfolio so for it to be stolen the portfolio must've been there when Erik wasn't there or extremely distracted.

Whenever I've seen Larsen at a con he usually just has a stack of original pages, so whoever took it wouldn't have had to remove it from a portfolio.  Although, that being said, it still must've been tough to pull off.

I'm always amazed when artists just have a giant stack of original art sitting on their table without any protection.  Once I buy something from them I treat it like I'm transporting an original copy of the constitution out of the convention center, and meanwhile they have it just sitting there in a stack next to their meatball sub and grape soda.  I remember going through a big pile of David Mack's original covers and calculating in my head that I was handling original art with a retail value easily over $100K.  Made me a bit nervous to be honest.

Mike

17 hours ago, Dokstarr said:

That is very weird that someone would steal a cover and try to then have it signed.

The apparent thief might have been trying to legitimize his theft by having the artist -- hoping the artist would be distracted and not remember -- "ratify" a purported sale by signing the page/cover so that he can sell it to a good faith purchaser in the future and fool him, too.  This was absolutely brazen.

Edited by zosocane

7 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

The articles seem to indicate that Erik can remember what the guy looks like.

If that's the case, perhaps Erik can do a sketch of the alleged perpetrator and see if anyone recognizes him.

hm

I hope the art gets recovered.

N.

He was asked about this and he doesn't feel he can draw him - sounded like he might not have seen him enough. I can't recall exactly why but he wasn't able to do it.