• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very lame little NYCC thread
3 3

87 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Great report! I saw some amazing books at the show. There was much to see. Was great to see Steve Ritter back in NYC after many years. He had an awesome Captain America 74 in 3.5 on his wall and quite an extensive GA inventory. This was my purchase of the show thanks to Gator! I sold my low grade raw copy a few years ago to pay off a big book, but always regretted it. This one is higher grade than I'm used to but was fairly priced.

detective45.jpg

Great pickup!

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I told you it was lame, so why did you click? :taptaptap:

Been super busy lately, but managed to squeeze in a little time at NYCC.  Made it solo for a couple of hours on Th and with Mrs. Sqeggs and one of the mini-Sqeggs on Sunday afternoon.

Always great to touch base, if only briefly, with @BitterOldMan, @comicjack, and @Zolnerowich.  Just barely missed seeing @GoldenPRGuy and the two great books he picked up.

Attendance seemed a bit lighter than normal on Thursday afternoon and I believe they failed to sellout for the first time in a while.  Usual mob scene on Sunday afternoon.

I spent most of time on Th waiting in the glacially slow moving CGC drop-off line.  For the first time, they required anyone without a filled out form to enter the info via their iPads; no more paper forms allowed.  Since I was doing the half-priced CBCS regrading option, I wasn't sure how to fill out the forms, so I had to key everything in.  Luckily @BitterOldMan helped me decipher their software, or the people in line behind me may have organized a little necktie party for me. :whatthe:

A few pics follow -- but I'm sure multiple people have probably done a better job of covering this by now.

Yup just like my love life 1011884741_Lovelife.jpg.60a370f86c1c0d710677f1339abf2345.jpgLame. No it was great report(thumbsu

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

And I wish I'd known it was you.  And I'm glad you didn't buy them first!

Did you also see the Mystic 9 8.0 he had?  I was sorely tempted by it, but instead of his usual arm and a leg, he was asking an arm, a leg, and most of the other leg. I bargained him down a little, but when I came back on Sunday to continue dickering, he had sold it -- he said at the price I had passed on.  Terrific book. 

Just a photo, but did not have the new small car price money to purchase this beauty.

Great to see Sqeggs again!

DAE9E853-2368-4FB6-BEF3-6D6F2B4C0320.jpeg

Edited by BitterOldMan

Really nice report and pics - got me in the mode of being there.  One day perhaps I'll convince the missus to journey there with me, join in a large room filled with comics, watch me diligently searching every booth, take pics of me posing with HTF and even harder to buy wonders and live vicariously watching me throw around a few thousand dollars with just a "tut, tut" and an eye roll after each pickup.  :cloud9:

And soon after that I'll crouch down to pick a four-leaf clover (while a meteor whizzes by the space I just vacated) and see Elvis on an adjoining golf course hit a hole-in-one while playing with his partner, POTUS Bruce Campbell. 

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

And I wish I'd known it was you.  And I'm glad you didn't buy them first!

Did you also see the Mystic 9 8.0 he had?  I was sorely tempted by it, but instead of his usual arm and a leg, he was asking an arm, a leg, and most of the other leg. I bargained him down a little, but when I came back on Sunday to continue dickering, he had sold it -- he said at the price I had passed on.  Terrific book. 

I did see the Mystic #9, wow. Amazing book. 

Harley had some great stuff. His was the first booth I hit once inside the con, and I left after 45 mins having spent 2/3rds of my budget for the whole day.  lol

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Great thread @Sqeggs :headbang:

Looks like you had a great time. Almost as many cool books as the London Comic Fair yesterday. Almost 

Did you do a con report on it?  Do I have to enter the fever swamps of CG to see it? :fear:

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I did see the Mystic #9, wow. Amazing book. 

Harley had some great stuff. His was the first booth I hit once inside the con, and I left after 45 mins having spent 2/3rds of my budget for the whole day.  lol

His stock on Thursday was really strong.  Last year, it was pretty slim pickings at his booth--maybe had strong sales at Baltimore?

I know that this year he made some recent purchases and had gotten some books back from CGC.  

He seemed to be doing a brisk business.  Along the lines of General Motors' old slogan, he had books for every purse and purpose.

I've been told that mods will zap any con report without cosplay pics.  I only took a few.  The Joker/Harley couple had done a great job with their makeup.  The Zatana (I think, but maybe not) was actually in an exhibit rather than doing regular cosplay. 

IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Seems as if a lot of booths were doing the mystery box thing.  I don't know how successful they were.

This booth appeared to be selling mystery boxes with last year's con exclusives.  That seemed kind of odd:  We couldn't sell these things last year when you could see what you were getting, but maybe you'll buy them this year when you have no idea what you're getting. hm

IMG_1249 (1).jpg

Edited by Sqeggs
I realized this was the booth I was thinking of.

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

My fault on that one.  Should have cropped the photo before posting. :sorry:

Not sure they'd be much of it left Sqeggs hm

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Did you do a con report on it?  Do I have to enter the fever swamps of CG to see it? :fear:

I've done a few in my Marvel pence thread. The book shots aren't so great and the cosplayers are terrible. Unless 'Smelly Old Man' is a comic book character? 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I've done a few in my Marvel pence thread. The book shots aren't so great and the cosplayers are terrible. Unless 'Smelly Old Man' is a comic book character

:idea:

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I've done a few in my Marvel pence thread. The book shots aren't so great and the cosplayers are terrible. Unless 'Smelly Old Man' is a comic book character

:idea:

We're all superheroes now...

Thanks for the pictures.  As a lame report, it was pretty great! (thumbsu