• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this person crazy?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

So on another forum a story was told, and I wondered if it was based in reality...

The story was they submitted 20 books for reholder, and were informed by CGC that in order for them to reholder the books in the same grade the books would have to be pressed using the CGC service. 

1. Has this happened to anyone? 

2. Has it happened to anyone at the rate this guy is reporting (maybe I could imagine one book, but a QUARTER of this guys subs all need a press to keep their grade?)

I guess I could see a situation where a book gets damaged inside the slab and CGC sees this and needs to correct the grade to maintain grade accuracy...but 5 books out of 20 having that situation? 

Where the books in for a CGC reholder then it is my understanding the books do not get regraded but will just be put in a new slab.  Now if he is "reholdering" books from CBCS then I can see why they are discussing needing a press.  Does CGC review books to see if a press would benefit them?

Here's his report....

Recently submitted 25 books to CGC to re-slab to the newer case. I was emailed that 5 of the books I submitted would need to be pressed to keep their original grade (at an extra fee of $80 for the 5). Keep in mind, the cases have no damage, I merely wanted the new case. Now, if I chose to not have them pressed, they would happily send them back to me ungraded. Feeling like I was being held hostage, I paid the $80 but clearly wondered if this was some tactic to stab me for additional fees.

I asked: just to be clear. you ordered a reholder on cgc slabbed books and cgc said in order to reholder in the same grade they would have to be pressed

He said: Yes

He then added: I actually met the “reholder” guy at the CGC booth at a recent Con. He said it’s not uncommon for a comic to “shift” within the holder when it gets “jarred”. I responded “Hmmm....okay, but wouldn’t you see that the comic had shifted through the holder?” According to him, not necessarily. Not until you remove it can you see the flaw”. Me: “???....Okay, so oddly, 20% of my submission has this problem? Those odds are pretty high! Since I submitted them directly to your people at their booth at a con in Seattle and they transported them back to Florida, how do i know they weren’t “jarred” when YOU transported them?”  Him: (Shoulder shrug). The whole thing sounded wildly_fanciful_statement to me, but what was i gonna do?

I mean none of this sounds legit right? 

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

If the case is badly damaged I believe CGC reserves the right to regrade books on reholders.  Like if the USPS mangled the shipment for the reholder.  Or if the person sent in books to be reholdered that had some damage.

thought the same thing, not the case. slabs were fine...

Just my Opinion...

I know very little about CGC and having books graded/reholdered, etc. but I do know what the last C in CGC stands for... Company.

Although they may be "collectors" and "share the same passion for the hobby" as we do just like any other business in the world their Primary Goal is $$$ (the bottom line).

Behind the scenes they are no different than any other Greedy/Selfish Corporation in America and in this instance they have the OP and his books by the B**L's, "press or we send them them back to you ungraded", your choice. (Which means they really do not care).

This story doesn't sound right. I've submitted hundreds of books to CGC for reholder and never once had them come back to me to say the books needed to be pressed to retain the grade.  If the scenario involved books getting damaged inside the CGC holder, I believe CGC would press them to correct the damage but do so free of charge.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

So on another forum a story was told, and I wondered if it was based in reality...

The story was they submitted 20 books for reholder, and were informed by CGC that in order for them to reholder the books in the same grade the books would have to be pressed using the CGC service. 

1. Has this happened to anyone? 

2. Has it happened to anyone at the rate this guy is reporting (maybe I could imagine one book, but a QUARTER of this guys subs all need a press to keep their grade?)

I guess I could see a situation where a book gets damaged inside the slab and CGC sees this and needs to correct the grade to maintain grade accuracy...but 5 books out of 20 having that situation? 

Can you provide a link to the discussion or some names?

Does he have before scans of the books?

This sorry (at the outset) doesn't sound right...but I could be wrong.

I would hope that guy comes to these forums and posts about the situation 

2 hours ago, MadGenius said:

This story doesn't sound right. I've submitted hundreds of books to CGC for reholder and never once had them come back to me to say the books needed to be pressed to retain the grade.  If the scenario involved books getting damaged inside the CGC holder, I believe CGC would press them to correct the damage but do so free of charge.

I was informed about the damage of the book(s) and ask me what I'd like to do with them. I told them with my decision. They just followed me.  I never had experienced the strange situation about the reholder chaos.

Lets see if a facebook link works...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CBCSCGC/?multi_permalinks=252645688783670&comment_id=252965045418401&notif_id=1539022364225512&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

He posted the email from CGC, so it looks legit. Looks like he handed off the books at ECC for reholdering, they shipped them back to the mothership, and (likely) the damage occured during that shipping. I suggested if he had pre-handoff pictures that would help his case...

Here's the email with everything specific redacted.

43476117_10213333767600418_8135669202615795712_n.thumb.jpg.5c827b7f1821efc786322dd689193d80.jpg

If they were all shipped together it makes sense impact damage would hit several books.

15 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Lets see if a facebook link works...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CBCSCGC/?multi_permalinks=252645688783670&comment_id=252965045418401&notif_id=1539022364225512&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

He posted the email from CGC, so it looks legit. Looks like he handed off the books at ECC for reholdering, they shipped them back to the mothership, and (likely) the damage occured during that shipping. I suggested if he had pre-handoff pictures that would help his case...

Here's the email with everything specific redacted.

43476117_10213333767600418_8135669202615795712_n.thumb.jpg.5c827b7f1821efc786322dd689193d80.jpg

The key words are "chance to be maintained".  CGC could suggest a press but nobody over there is going to insure a grader will give the same grade once it's out of the inner well.

Well, at least we have the answer to the topic question.

This person is NOT crazy. 

Thread closed.... right? 

Seriously though, what happened to the books in transit.