• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

swapping pages

8 posts in this topic

So i submitted a Star Wars #4 35 cent variant and it came back because i missed it in 4.5 it had 2 pages that had been slit close to the staples all the way top to bottom like it was done with a sheet rock knife with a few inches at top to hang on.. apparently i missed this in my initial screening..so i had this genius idea to use 2 of the pages from another one to fill in those pages i have a 30 center and a few of the reprints..so i tried the 30 center first..to my dismay the holes do not line up..the 35 center the staple on bottom is ridiculously low..doubt any of the other ones line up either..so what im asking is what would you do..the book maybe gets a 8.0 if none of this ever happened do i make my own holes and hope they dont ding me to bad?Is this even a good idea...

Since nobody has yet to respond...

I do not send books in for grading, however...

From what I have read/learned on this site about CGC grading is...

If you leave it as is you will get a Blue "Universal" Label, if you want the book graded as if the defect was not present you will get a Green "Qualified" Label, if you replace pages you will get a Purple "Restored" Label.

There is no way you can make a repair to the torn pages and receive a Blue Label as if the defect was never there.

Apparently Green and Purple are BAD!!!

https://www.cgccomics.com/labels/

Everything has already been documented by them so no hiding anything now ... i just wonder if its a good idea to reattach the pages to make the book complete others have done so i am sure..the 30 center is in about the same shape as the 35 center and other than what i just stated there is no difference in the two books other than the holes dont line up which is why i asked not sure if i should pursue this any further or toss it to the side.. not many 35 centers out there for star wars 4..i think but i realize this is a touchy subject 

What marvelmaniac said. Your idea is called "marrying" pages. You have taken pages from another book and married them to this book. It will earn a restored "purple" label. 

Restored books - especially books published from 1970 on - are worth a fraction of what blue "universal" label books are.  You are better off just getting hit on the grade of the book as is. Or keeping the book raw (unslabbed) 

On ‎2018‎/‎10‎/‎09 at 7:31 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Since nobody has yet to respond...

I do not send books in for grading, however...

From what I have read/learned on this site about CGC grading is...

If you leave it as is you will get a Blue "Universal" Label, if you want the book graded as if the defect was not present you will get a Green "Qualified" Label, if you replace pages you will get a Purple "Restored" Label.

There is no way you can make a repair to the torn pages and receive a Blue Label as if the defect was never there.

Apparently Green and Purple are BAD!!!

https://www.cgccomics.com/labels/

I believe books with married pages/ covers get a qualified label.