• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Is In; ASM 65- A little harsh
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Grade is in. This book was purchased a while back as a 9.4 raw copy on eBay with no back cover pic. The front cover looked good enough on the pic that I thought it could be possible with press. When I saw the book it still looked really good but I knew the eraser mark would hurt so I was with @Gnasher on the 8.5. Well, this was the end result. No invisible stains.

fc.jpg

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

Woof, that's harsh.

Is there a small drop of something on the back, near the word FREE?

I see what you are saying on the scan, hmm. Here are the grader notes though:

erasure mark top of back cover
light creasing to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Honestly, the cover creasing is so moderate. I decided not to press this one because of the low value but it really seems like even the smallest non-color breaking crease or minute bend on the cover is hit a lot harder now that pressing is part of the service available.

11 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

it really seems like even the smallest non-color breaking crease or minute bend on the cover is hit a lot harder now that pressing is part of the service available.

You are absolutely correct. Since they mostly see pressed books nowadays, they really hold it against a book with a little originality.  Sad.

I'd say the eraser marking was pretty harsh. Take that away and I see a beautiful book. I'd say most of us have had an ebay "oops" that we wish we could take back. Probably the reason the seller didn't include photos of the back. Having done the same thing a few times I now ask for nice pictures of both sides and then go from there.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:50 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I see what you are saying on the scan, hmm. Here are the grader notes though:

erasure mark top of back cover
light creasing to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Honestly, the cover creasing is so moderate. I decided not to press this one because of the low value but it really seems like even the smallest non-color breaking crease or minute bend on the cover is hit a lot harder now that pressing is part of the service available.

It's interesting that they listed the erasure mark, a back cover flaw, first in the notes. While I don't think there is a priority to the order of the notes you generally see the front cover comments first, sort of the order they noticed while looking  at the book. The fact that the erasure was listed first makes me think it stood out to them. In summary, I think the weak grade is a reflection of that erasure mark. It's obvious it was poorly executed with a 'dirty' eraser so they probably treated it like a stain or maybe a loss of color. I also think those other smaller stains on the BC were not mentioned because they didn't matter in the grade, it was all about the erasure mark. Sorry.

Sorry to see the harsh grade on this. I have experienced this lately with CGC as well. Extremely moderate at best creasing that really took down a 9.0+ to an 8.0. It was not a great experience and thankfully this isn't one you seem to be too upset about.