OAF-Con 2018, for GA, an interesting alternative to NYCC...

112 posts in this topic

8,706 posts

This year's Oklahoma Alliance of Fans convention was the best attended yet with fans and dealers coming from all over the country.  The thing about OAF conventions is that they're geared toward paper collectibles, especially old comics, pulps and movie memorabilia.  Dealers were able to pick up lots of rare items they were unlikely find elsewhere, and likewise, fans were able to find great stuff for their collections that don't pop-up at a lot of the bigger shows.  For instance, I came away with another major painting, but more on that later.  The dealer's room was packed with folks most of the weekend and guaranteed to sell out all available space in 2019.  In fact, con promoter Bart Bush may have to rent annex space for overflow next year.

So, without further adieu, here are some memorable images from 2018's OAF-Con extravaganza...  :headbang:

Early set-up:

IMG_2442_zps4jbxc9ra.jpg

IMG_2444_zpsllq6hftt.jpg

IMG_2445_zpsf8ar9w7b.jpg

8,706 posts

More dealer long boxes than walls, but lots of cool collectibles ...both raw and encapsulated... and lots of recognizable folks in these images:

IMG_2446_zpszornpvzu.jpg

IMG_2474_zpsjfntxbay.jpg

IMG_2456_zps237t5tai.jpg

3,387 posts

I was standing in front of Richard when you took his photo @Cat-Man_America!  Great selection of GA books at this show, and Bedrock always brings out the monsters.  I had a good time, and spent good money. (thumbsu 

10,336 posts
3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I was standing in front of Richard when you took his photo @Cat-Man_America!  Great selection of GA books at this show, and Bedrock always brings out the monsters.  I had a good time, and spent good money. (thumbsu 

:hi:Nice to meet you there,  We met at Richard's booth.  Great show as it is every year.

3,387 posts
2 minutes ago, telerites said:

:hi:Nice to meet you there,  We met at Richard's booth.  Great show as it is every year.

You too sir!  :foryou: 

11,104 posts
6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

IMG_2474_zpsjfntxbay.jpg

Can I ask... who is this guy? I kept running into him at Baltimore and it seemed like every dealer knew him, but I had no idea who he was. He seemed like either a former dealer, or a dealer who didnt run a booth at cons but made the rounds to all the big cons (and apparently the small ones too based on the pictures here!) 

so who is he? 

15,059 posts
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Oh, BTW, I did mention a painting earlier, right?

Well, after negotiations with the former owner at the OAF-Con I'm now the proud new owner of another original George Rozen painting,

this Shadow pulp cover from June 1, 1942... :whee:

4955b91d-0760-4f25-a15e-2fab5a0ca73a_zps

This goes well with my other Shadow painting, that one coincidentally for the June 15, 1942 cover!  (thumbsu

Now THAT is a "pick-up"!!! Wow, Cat congrats!

Thanks for the report. Good to see Bud Plant there. One of the best guys out there to box dive through!

Edited by Robot Man

15,059 posts
1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Can I ask... who is this guy? I kept running into him at Baltimore and it seemed like every dealer knew him, but I had no idea who he was. He seemed like either a former dealer, or a dealer who didnt run a booth at cons but made the rounds to all the big cons (and apparently the small ones too based on the pictures here!) 

so who is he? 

Mike Carbano (Carbo). Surprised he wasn't at NYCC instead.

26,456 posts
12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Mike knows where the goods are at ……….. my question is where are all the cosplay hotties ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

22,085 posts
42 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Pretty sure he's still banned.

8,706 posts

Most of the cosplayers were standing around the MANNUP tables.  :wink:  Alas, they kept me too busy to photograph.  You'll just have to use your imagination this year... :sorry:

OTOH, a dwarf assistant working for MANNUP captured this image of a well known member of the community who stood tall like the Colossus of Rhodes over all he surveyed! Even the Guardians of The Galaxy were in awe...

cd7c7d7b-d2e0-41e4-a280-d97044a1e91a_zps

Rumor has it that this recognizable gentleman and recent Texas resident had a very good show.  Many raw books were dispatched for final entombment under his mighty gaze.  'Nuff said.

8,706 posts
58 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Pretty sure he's still banned.

You may be right.  It was a serious allegation, but the evidence of his involvement was sketchy.  Without dredging up the old story, let's just say opinions on his reputation are mixed.

22,846 posts

This show sounds great! Just move it to NYC and I'm all over it.

8,706 posts
1 minute ago, Point Five said:

This show sounds great! Just move it to NYC and I'm all over it.

That kinda defeats the purpose since so much of the great material that shows up here is brought in by Oklahoma collectors and dealers.

Besides, the Embassy Suites convention center ...while modest in size... is so much more comfortable than the Javitt's Center bunker.  Great restaurants nearby too! 

Waaaaay doggies. Y'all come down now, ya hear! (thumbsu