• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OAF-Con 2019, for GA, an interesting alternative to NYCC...

219 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

What would be considered the best golden age comic book convention? I know the big shows don't sell as many as they used to and prices are very high, usually. Surely there must be someplace that has the best "old-school" comic convention? This one seems like it is pretty good, although too far to attend...any other shows have this kind of rep? Comic convention where you can find comics...

In this century? hm

15 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

How about with the best selection of comics from 1934-1956 plus...let's say books until 1963...later ones are cool too...but funnies to wartime to atomic age to early postcode to prehero and the advent of the silver age heroes...

The OAF-Con would certainly be one of the better ones for old school dealers with GA comics.  Selection is always a carp-shoot that depends on the dealers and the depth of their inventory.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

OAF is simply a lot of fun. Sales won't ever compare with New York or San Diego or Chicago, but neither will the overhead. I could have been stressing about the drive to New York, the cost of hotels, the extreme hassle of load-in at Javitts, the ridiculous prices to park a van for the weekend, the trouble of finding a place to eat after the show, the physical exertion it takes simply to fight through the aisles to go to the bathroom, etc. etc. etc....

...or I could go to OAF, hang out with good friends, sell some stuff, eat at Benvenuti's with Steve Borock, Cat and Roxanne, Bud Plant, Tom Coker and Mrs. Bedrock, Pack up on Sunday and be home in my own bed Sunday night.

We actually had a very good show this year. Sales were brisk all weekend and some trades and purchases were made. I picked up some great inventory for the shop and site and managed to pick up a couple of things for the collection...

flash49.jpg

sensation65.jpg

skyman3.jpg

fourcolor84.jpg

ssws26.jpg

wotalife6.jpg

gunsmoke9.jpg

gangbusters4.jpg

What a cool and diverse group of great books!  Some fun picking it looks like. 

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

I think the OAF's scheduled it that way to cut down on the number of New Yorkers attending.

Well, you have to admit that Oklahoma is a difficult place to find.  Somewhere south of Honduras and north of Uganda, if I remember correctly. hm

44 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

How about with the best selection of comics from 1934-1956 plus...let's say books until 1963...later ones are cool too...but funnies to wartime to atomic age to early postcode to prehero and the advent of the silver age heroes...

I would give a big nod to Terry O'Neil's show at the end of January. Only one day but that room is PACKED with just about every kind of GA comic available. Dealers run from small time collectors like me to the big national ones. Have seen a few great collections pop up there. And the weather for January, just can't be beat. 

50 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

This year I think the best selections of vintage comics and dealers who specialize in them have been either C2E2 or Baltimore, with Charlotte a very close runner up.

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
53 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I would give a big nod to Terry O'Neil's show at the end of January. Only one day but that room is PACKED with just about every kind of GA comic available. Dealers run from small time collectors like me to the big national ones. Have seen a few great collections pop up there. And the weather for January, just can't be beat. 

I really need to go to Terry's next show.

Here is my haul with Cap, Cat, Bugs, and some Spiders.  The table that has Cinderella Four color had all of the books shown 10 or 20 deep.  Must of been a warehouse find.  Finally a couple of wall shots and a shot of the room.

WP_20181007_Oafcon_Haul__highres.jpg

WP_20181006_Oafcon_Dealer_Table_highres.jpg

WP_20181006_Oafcon_Dealer_Wall_highres.jpg

WP_20181006_Oafcon_dealer_highres.jpg

WP_20181006_Oafcon_pan1_highres.jpg

52 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I would also have to add in the Torpedo Show. Annother one day show the Sunday before SDCC. An added bonus is a huge original art show across the in the next room. Many SDCC dealers set up on their way to SDCC. Well worth hitting on your way to SDCC. GA? Oh, yeah. Here was my haul from July.

4A5E2351-268E-4656-983B-D05D360D71EC.jpeg

AF455753-6F3F-4122-AECD-9ACFF9C9D359.jpeg

Looks like you found a few things !

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Here is my haul with Cap, Cat, Bugs, and some Spiders.  The table that has Cinderella Four color had all of the books shown 10 or 20 deep.  Must of been a warehouse find.  Finally a couple of wall shots and a shot of the room.

WP_20181007_Oafcon_Haul__highres.jpg

I'll be dang if that Duck guy doesn't have a Wabbit in that pile! :applause:

Hope to see it shared in all it's wascally glory! 

You find stuff at OAF you simply do not find anywhere else. I bought more things for myself (not for resale) at that show last year than I have at every other show I've been to in this century combined.

I was seriously bummed that it conflicted with a family wedding this year, but I will be back in 2019. So much fun... and a tornado to boot!

15 hours ago, Badger said:

Careful showing that Big Apple Con bag, pardner.  I've been told they tar and feather you city slickers out there.  

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Careful showing that Big Apple Con bag, pardner.  I've been told they tar and feather you city slickers out there.  

I'm not sure who's table that is but the business card has the name "Selberg" on it. hm