• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OAF-Con 2019, for GA, an interesting alternative to NYCC...

219 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2018 at 3:21 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Oh, BTW, I did mention a painting earlier, right?

Well, after negotiations with the former owner at the OAF-Con I'm now the proud new owner of another original George Rozen painting,

this Shadow pulp cover from June 1, 1942... :whee:

4955b91d-0760-4f25-a15e-2fab5a0ca73a_zps

This goes well with my other Shadow painting, that one coincidentally for the June 15, 1942 cover!  (thumbsu

Bart posted a picture of you holding this.  I honestly do not think people realize how big it is.  Growing up my grandmother would listen to cassette tapes of the Shadow radio programs and so the Shadow always has a special place with me and why I love so much of the pulp stuff.   Super jealous!!!!

On 10/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, MrBedrock said:

OAF is simply a lot of fun. Sales won't ever compare with New York or San Diego or Chicago, but neither will the overhead. I could have been stressing about the drive to New York, the cost of hotels, the extreme hassle of load-in at Javitts, the ridiculous prices to park a van for the weekend, the trouble of finding a place to eat after the show, the physical exertion it takes simply to fight through the aisles to go to the bathroom, etc. etc. etc....

...or I could go to OAF, hang out with good friends, sell some stuff, eat at Benvenuti's with Steve Borock, Cat and Roxanne, Bud Plant, Tom Coker and Mrs. Bedrock, Pack up on Sunday and be home in my own bed Sunday night.

We actually had a very good show this year. Sales were brisk all weekend and some trades and purchases were made. I picked up some great inventory for the shop and site and managed to pick up a couple of things for the collection...

skyman3.jpg

I had been eye balling that Skyman #3 back at a show back in Tulsa from Kerry - Glad to see it went to a good home!!!

3 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Bart posted a picture of you holding this.  I honestly do not think people realize how big it is.  Growing up my grandmother would listen to cassette tapes of the Shadow radio programs and so the Shadow always has a special place with me and why I love so much of the pulp stuff.   Super jealous!!!!

Do you have a link?  I'm sure I was smiling, but the painting was too large for me to get in my usual thumbs-up!  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, SSkufan said:

If you want I can post it here if you are fine with that.

Works for me! I'm not shy, especially when "Shadowed" by such good company.  (thumbsu

Of course, it may be a tad jarring for folks used to my ale & thumbs up photos posted over in General! :grin:

Cheers, Cat

Edited by Cat-Man_America

55 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Works for me! I'm not shy, especially when "Shadowed" by such good company.  (thumbsu

Of course, it may be a tad jarring for folks used to my ale & thumbs up photos posted over in General! :grin:

Cheers, Cat

But how can we be sure the picture is of you without the signature pint in one hand one thumbs up on the other (shrug)

seems we will no longer be the "forgotten man" at comic book conventions..hope this is a trend for the future, limited guests, real collectors, great stuff.....these small conventions, are turning into a small revolution...its about time.

13 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Interesting how some artists would produce paintings much larger than the size needed for their ultimate use.  Years ago, I saw an exhibit of the paintings N.C. Wyeth did for Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, and other kids adventures books.  The paintings were huge, although when printed they were, for course, greatly reduced for the book covers and interior illustrations.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting how some artists would produce paintings much larger than the size needed for their ultimate use.  Years ago, I saw an exhibit of the paintings N.C. Wyeth did for Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, and other kids adventures books.  The paintings were huge, although when printed they were, for course, greatly reduced for the book covers and interior illustrations.

That's typical of most commercially published art.  Usually, cover artists, newspaper cartoonists and magazine illustrators produce work twice up or larger proportionally to the final printed size.

I attended OAF Con in 2017 and enjoyed the friendly relaxed atmosphere.  I have attended SDCC 25 times and NYCC the last eight years.  I have been a regular attendee of Terry O'Neill's Cal Comic Con.

In 2017, I was able to spend quality time talking with comic book historian, Bill Schelly.  Bill is the author of the Fantagraphics book John Stanley: Giving Life to Little Lulu and the great TwoMorrows Publishing American Comic Book Chronicles: The 50's, among others. 

I also was able to talk to colorist, writer, and artist, Anthony Tollin, who is the owner of Sanctum Books, publishers of Shadow pulp reprints and current on book #134.  I have met Anthony several times at SDCC, but he was always very busy. Anthony is the co-author of The Shadow Scrapbook with Walter Gibson.

For the second time, I met Batman artist Spoon Sprang's agent, Ike Wilson, and purchased a Detective Comic from Sprang's personal collection.

Also in attendance were Mr Bedrock, Bud Plant, and author Roger Hill.

I was invited to sit with Cat Conrad and his wife, Roxanne, who writes under the pen name of Rachel Caine and is a New York Times Best Seller author of numerous novels.  Cat-Man showed me his amazing and legendary comic book collection.

I ate at Charleston's Restaurant only a few miles away, which had great food and service.

All in all, I had a wonderful time.

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's typical of most commercially published art.  Usually, cover artists, newspaper cartoonists and magazine illustrators produce work twice up or larger proportionally to the final printed size.

Except Frazetta. Most of his paintings are surprisingly small.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Except Frazetta. Most of his paintings are surprisingly small.

He must've varied the size of his paintings dependent on the publisher, format and amount of detail work involved.  A Conan painting by Frazetta on easel displayed at the old "Get Smart" Metropolis offices was at least twice up in size from the typical 8.5 " x 11" magazine cover.  You're right though, it wouldn't surprise me at all that he worked smaller, especially jobs like Ace and Ballantine paperback covers.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

4 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:
6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

In the case of Wyeth, the paintings seemed more like 10 to 20 times up.  Just enormous when compared to the size of the books the illustrations appeared in.

I remember standing in the middle of an open gallery made up of an entire floor of the Brandywine River Museum and even from 20 feet away, the paintings looked large. Dwarfed in size the paintings of his son and grandson displayed elsewhere in the Museum. 

4 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

For the second time, I met Batman artist Spoon Sprang's agent, Ike Wilson, and purchased a Detective Comic from Sprang's personal collection.

I hope you knew him well, because only his closest friends were allowed to call him Spoon. :insane:

On 10/9/2018 at 11:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

You may be right.  It was a serious allegation, but the evidence of his involvement was sketchy.  Without dredging up the old story, let's just say opinions on his reputation are mixed.

Thanks for the report Catster

When you give someone dealer passes you're responsible for their conduct = Guilty by association 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

In the case of Wyeth, the paintings seemed more like 10 to 20 times up.  Just enormous when compared to the size of the books the illustrations appeared in.

I remember standing in the middle of an open gallery made up of an entire floor of the Brandywine River Museum and even from 20 feet away, the paintings looked large. Dwarfed in size the paintings of his son and grandson displayed elsewhere in the Museum. 

I've seen those original NC Wyeths at the Brandywine as well. Amazing sight in real life. I recall the reproduction size in the printed novels for Treasure Island was around 3%. 

Edited by Darth Corgi