• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OAF-Con 2019, for GA, an interesting alternative to NYCC...

219 posts in this topic

On October 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That kinda defeats the purpose since so much of the great material that shows up here is brought in by Oklahoma collectors and dealers.

Besides, the Embassy Suites convention center ...while modest in size... is so much more comfortable than the Javitt's Center bunker.  Great restaurants nearby too! 

Waaaaay doggies. Y'all come down now, ya hear! (thumbsu

Pack it up and make it a traveling road show. I'll clear out some corn stocks here in Indiana for you.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, batman_fan said:

But how can we be sure the picture is of you without the signature pint in one hand one thumbs up on the other (shrug)

I'm making up for it this weekend.  We're doing the carribean Carnival cruise thing and I'm exploring imbibing options...

7db7e0bf-6c81-498e-8ebc-37ed4b11651f_zps

...not sure about this!

9dbf7c74-88b4-4471-9f37-3bbd331c707a_zps

...That's more like it!

:tink:

1 minute ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm making up for it this weekend.  We're doing the carribean Carnival cruise thing and I'm exploring imbibing options...

...not sure about this!

...That's more like it!

You look a lot happier with the pint !

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

...not sure about this!

...That's more like it!

I just got off a cruise so I'm very jealous!

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm definitely getting into this...

Hide contents

IMG_2498_zpsaekbkssg.jpg

When we got home, the first evening, I had a martini and then a bottle of wine (shared with the wife).  The wife said, "You're drinking too much!"  I told her I was drinking less than on the ship.  She didn't have a come back because it was true!

14 hours ago, n2wdw said:

When we got home, the first evening, I had a martini and then a bottle of wine (shared with the wife).  The wife said, "You're drinking too much!"  I told her I was drinking less than on the ship.  She didn't have a come back because it was true!

Isn't that what ALL wives say? It's their job.

On 10/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, comicjack said:

Looks pretty nice out there :smile:

Yeah, calm seas and a decent ale make for a great cruise.  We'll be back on dry land in Galveston on Saturday, drive to Houston for the evening, lay over and then back to the Metroplex on Sunday.  (thumbsu

14 hours ago, Sardo Numspar said:

Richard, I missed seeing you in NY this year.  Maybe ill have to check out the OAF next year.

Hope you decide to check it out, the OAF-con has a lot of pluses.  Once you adjust to the fact that fewer folks attending is actually a good thing because having more dedicated comics people makes for a better show then it starts to look like a no brainer.  

The location is ideal: Great restaurants nearby, a packed dealer's room with a broad range of paper collectibles with an emphasis on Gold/Silver Age, dealers attending from as far away as both coasts, excellent conversations on the past, present & future of the hobby.  It's kinda like the best kept secret in comic fandom.

As a side note, we're hoping to see the tall Texas geek this Saturday.  Yee-haw.  :headbang:

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Robot Man said:

Right you are. Now, how about attending one of these fun intimate "gatherings"?  Terry's show is coming up at end of January. Well worth the drive. Maybe you could car pool with Hap Hazard or Dr. Love. Both SD residents who happily make the drive every year. 

Some one should make a list of all the smaller, one or two day comics focused conventions so dealers like me can attend those and avoid the mega -'conventions.

If I knew where to start I would do so. 

OAF-Con -  Oklahoma October:

Jet-City - Tacoma WA, November: 

CalComicCon - Yorba Linda CA, January 27th 2019:

North Texas Comic Book Show February 2 & 3, 2019 : this sounds old school, never been.

OLD SCHOOL COMIC SHOW April 27th 2019, Everett Arena, Concord NH:  yes new Hampshire.

MSP Spring Con 2019 MN STATE FAIR GRANDSTAND May 18th & 19th:

Rocky Mountain Comic Convention; Denver (May 2018):

Lake Effect Comic Book Convention, Mentor (Cleveland) OH, June :

Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention, July, Los Angeles, CA :

just to mention a few That I have been to or heard about.

I'm going to be checking out the Dallas Fantasy Fair this weekend (Saturday & Sunday, Nov. 24 & 25).  We have tables although I'll be mostly concerned with displaying art, doing sketches and film related stuff from our Morganville series.

That said, in all likelihood MANNUP Collectibles will have GA comics for sale and/or display as well.  I'll report back here, and if I have time I'll include photos.  Here's the link:

https://www.irvingtexas.com/event/dallas-fantasy-fair/33723/?svap=10235&svat=cl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7LFoJvq3gIVBdvACh3-GwFiEAAYASAAEgIN5fD_BwE

On 11/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, TerrysComics said:

Some one should make a list of all the smaller, one or two day comics focused conventions so dealers like me can attend those and avoid the mega -'conventions. . . .

Tabcom will be unlocking his foot locker in his bedroom on December 3rd.

First two guest will receive a closet prize. :whee: