• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Savage Sword of Conan from Marvel

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I strongly suspect it's just a comic, sadly.  I hope I'm wrong, though.   Conan and the b&w magazine format just feel right together to me.

it is definitely a comic, the article says so:

By Crom! A second ongoing Conan the Barbarian comic book, Savage Sword of Conan, was announced by Marvel at New York Comic Con on Saturday

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

And it always seemed to look even better when it was inked by Alfredo Alcala...

Yes, and a lot of guys who seemed ok in regular comics (some of the philipino arists) look much nicer in B&W. anyway, it is what it is. maybe I have sentimentality for them because my brother would buy comic magazines and heavy metal and epic back in the 70s and 80s and I could read them when he was done, so they were part of my childhood. but I got really hooked when my LCS blew out most of his magazines to me for 25 cents each in the mid/early 90s because he couldn't sell them.

In addition to the B&W art being amazing in Savage Sword, the format just allowed for much longer stories, which always seemed to suit Conan well.  A regular comic has problems managing a 200+ page story, even now; when you only need 4 months it reads better.

With luck, they will at least let Savage Sword be the "bounce around in time and artist" title; which was another strength of the book compared to the ongoing regular Conan series.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, the blob said:

Most comic readers are too tunnel visioned to deviate on something as minor as the size of the comic. They don't want to buy magazine bags an boards, it freaks them out, so they don't look at magazines. The black and white art in these magazines from the 70s is often stunning. John Buscema, for example, was a fine comic artist, but his lines look so much better in black and white. 

Amen. I'd say the same for Ernie Chan. Loved his art in Savage Sword. I still read those 70s and 80s mags all the time.

Well, this one is new to my collection, at least.  :nyah:  Last issue I needed for my run of 190-235 of the original series.  Now I just need to decide how serious I am about trying for 61-189 now that I've got solid runs at both ends.

SSOC_228.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
added image. oops!

On 10/9/2018 at 3:29 PM, the blob said:

Most comic readers are too tunnel visioned to deviate on something as minor as the size of the comic. They don't want to buy magazine bags an boards, it freaks them out, so they don't look at magazines. The black and white art in these magazines from the 70s is often stunning. John Buscema, for example, was a fine comic artist, but his lines look so much better in black and white. 

A shame.I was reading this recently

Image result for roy thomas barbarian life

and according to Roy Thomas only Mad and Cracked magazines outsold The Savage Sword of Conan in the b&w market.

Savage Sword of Conan was a monster hit at many times outselling the Conan The BarbarIan color comic.

Also info in there that Roy Thomas said was the John Buscema issues outsold the Barry Smith issues. Thomas compared John Buscema to when John Romita took over Amazing Spider-Man in that sales began to really take off.

Edited by COMICCONNOISSEUR

1 hour ago, COMICCONNOISSEUR said:

and according to Roy Thomas only Mad and Cracked magazines outsold The Savage Sword of Conan in the b&w market.

Savage Sword of Conan was a monster hit at many times outselling the Conan The BarbarIan color comic.

Also info in there that Roy Thomas said was the John Buscema issues outsold the Barry Smith issues. Thomas compared John Buscema to when John Romita took over Amazing Spider-Man in that sales began to really take off.

I should have said comic collectors. In the 70s there was a chunk of guys who basically just bought Conan titles or that was their vast majority of purchases. My old shop used to talk about how they would come in with boxes of Conan comics to unload once they lost interest at some point in the 80s when the quality on both titles declined and the stories got repetetive. They weren't "collectors" per se and they don't seem to be coming back years later for nostalgia buying. I am guessing that group pushed Conan over the top for a while.

Edited by the blob

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Well, this one is new to my collection, at least.  :nyah:  Last issue I needed for my run of 190-235 of the original series.  Now I just need to decide how serious I am about trying for 61-189 now that I've got solid runs at both ends.

SSOC_228.jpg

Congrats. I'm about 10 issues away from a run of the first 130 myself. Of all the series I collect this one will always be my favorite because of the stories and artwork. 

5 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Congrats. I'm about 10 issues away from a run of the first 130 myself. Of all the series I collect this one will always be my favorite because of the stories and artwork. 

Someone was selling a big group at a very fair price here. Sat there for a while. I would have bit if I did not already have them 

7 hours ago, COMICCONNOISSEUR said:

Looks like a decent read👏👏😄

37 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Looks like a decent read👏👏😄

It`s an awesome read. There will be a volume 2 says Roy Thomas.

Roy Thomas basically knew how to pick ips for Marvel. First he got Marvel the rights to Conan,than Star Wars. Guy knew what he was doing and there was a reason he was Stan Lee`s right-hand man.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:12 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Thanks for the heads up on this book, I'm reading it now on my kindle.  There's one error with the digital version I've spotted, though... Chapter 22, instead of being on "Red Nails", is instead a reprint of Chapter 21.  Which _almost_ makes sense, since issue #22 was a reprint.  But the table of contents says it should be different.

A great read, though.