• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Savage Sword of Conan from Marvel

29 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, OtherEric said:

Thanks for the heads up on this book, I'm reading it now on my kindle.  There's one error with the digital version I've spotted, though... Chapter 22, instead of being on "Red Nails", is instead a reprint of Chapter 21.  Which _almost_ makes sense, since issue #22 was a reprint.  But the table of contents says it should be different.

A great read, though.

I wish there were more books like this. I would love for other creators to do similar books. It`s like a director doing commentary about their films for blu-rays.

I would love to see Claremont/Byrne do a book like this with Uncanny X-Men 94-143. Imagine if they had gotten Stan Lee/Ditko/Romita to do a two volume book set to dissect ASM 1-100?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Agreed that these magazines (SSoC) are true bargains and what a bang for the buck you get! I decided to liquidate my collection as part of some overall downsizing. I did okay putting them up in lots of three issues for $15 plus shipping, then after the sales petered out after a couple rounds I reduced them to $12 for three and they have been selling like hotcakes!

On 1/31/2019 at 11:08 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

It`s an awesome read. There will be a volume 2 says Roy Thomas.

Roy Thomas basically knew how to pick ips for Marvel. First he got Marvel the rights to Conan,than Star Wars. Guy knew what he was doing and there was a reason he was Stan Lee`s right-hand man.

Cool book--I wouldn't have known about it and am going to check it out. Thomas did a spectacular job all the way through with Conan, starting with getting the rights. (As for Star Wars, Lucas actually approached Thomas.)

Agree about the comments about the Conan audience. Big on the newsstand but not at the LCS. Like the war books, a lot of blue collar readers who weren't necessarily gung ho superhero types.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Agreed that these magazines (SSoC) are true bargains and what a bang for the buck you get! I decided to liquidate my collection as part of some overall downsizing. I did okay putting them up in lots of three issues for $15 plus shipping, then after the sales petered out after a couple rounds I reduced them to $12 for three and they have been selling like hotcakes!

Are you still selling them?