• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about CGC'ing this FF48 with sticker... EDIT: the grade is in, new post...

17 posts in this topic

First, what grade would you give it?

Second, what about that sticker? I'm not pulling it off. But how does it affect the grade?

Third, what about the spine roll? Would pressing solve that? And should this be cleaned?

...why can't these things be simple? LOL

IMG_3270[1].JPG

FF48 (2).JPG

FF48 (3).JPG

FF48 (4).JPG

FF48 (5).JPG

FF48 (6).JPG

Edited by oldrover

That's not a spine roll, just off center. This book is famous for being misaligned. To fix, you would have to do a spine realignment, something CGC does not consider restoration but is very debatable. Knowing your goal is soley financial, have at it. The sticker will be a significant downgrade. Even if removed you will be able to see the shadow. IMO, best to leave alone. Nice book !

I would post in the 'Please Grade my Book' subforum. 

I personally hate stickers, so if it were me, I would ship it to hero restoration or similar and check to see if its removable.  He will put some solution on it and find out if it pops right off, if not, leaves it as is as you don't want to be pulling up the cover along with it.  Its a 50/50 bet, but if it does come off will help bump the grade.  Either way at the very least, he could dry clean, slightly adjust a very minor roll alignment and press to get you a 1/2 grade bump +/- if that is what you are seeking.  Since that is becoming a more and more expensive key, any grade bump will pay dividends and you never know, CGC might slam it a full grade or so with that sticker issue on an otherwise solid mid grade.

9 hours ago, KobaltDog said:

Is that included in the pressing? 

I sent it for prescreening for pressing, but also asked about the sticker removal. I'm guessing not. Altho I don't think it's safe to press without removing the sticker. Honestly, I don't know. As anyone around here can tell you, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. LOL

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

And it’s back with no sticker... 

And CGC once again did a great job! 

I agree, very nice job. I only notice the faint trace of the sticker because I know it was there. I'm glad they did not adjust the spine, for me realigning the spine is too aggressive. It probably would not have improved the grade either. You got a generous grade. I would have graded it 6.0 but I bet the book is really nice in hand, clean BC, cover gloss, etc. Congrats !!!!

As others have noted, the book doesn't have a spine roll. It was printed with a misaligned spine. And FF 48 is notorious for poor cut and alignment. There are lots of copies where the M in Marvel is not fully visible on the front cover. That part of it is on the back cover. 

The stickers are a bit of a controversy. If the sticker was left on the book, you would have received a green, qualified label from CGC when graded.  IMHO and some other collectors, that doesn't seem right. The sticker was placed on the comic as part of the original distribution. It was common practice at bus stops, airports, gift shops in hospitals and similar to put a 15 cent price sticker over the 12 cover price.  Because these places had a more captive audience and they wanted to make more than 2-3 cents on comic books.  To me and others this is little different than arrival dates being added by retailers.  Or the star stamp for copies sold at military PX stores. Yes, the sticker distracts more than arrival dates or the star. But the rational for giving arrival dates/PX stamp a pass as far as grading is the same as giving price stickers a pass.  It was a common practice in the distribution of comics. Now arrival dates were much more common than price stickers for sure. But not so much less common than the PX stamps.