• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Blue covers turning grey

16 posts in this topic

That looks like water / moisture damage to me. See the wording at the top is smudged as if the ink has run. Is this the only book you've seen like it? Your wording indicates you've seen others? 

2 minutes ago, jaydog said:

Capture1.PNG

That could just be a colour variation - I see it a lot on comics where a blue can be grey on some copies, purple on others. It's all down to how strong the inks were at the time they came off the press. I have an ASM set just like it.

So unless the grey copy here was once blue, that would be my theory. The first book you posted has been attacked by water,  moisture, mold. The second set are original ink variations. 

Any more?

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

That could just be a colour variation - I see it a lot on comics where a blue can be grey on some copies, purple on others. It's all down to how strong the inks were at the time they came off the press. I have an ASM set just like it.

So unless the grey copy here was once blue, that would be my theory. The first book you posted has been attacked by water,  moisture, mold. The second set are original ink variations. 

Any more?

I thought about color variations as well .. but had not seen it before.  Thanks for looking

2 minutes ago, jaydog said:

I thought about color variations as well .. but had not seen it before.  Thanks for looking

You're welcome.  I find them interesting. I couldn't find the one I was looking for but here's a similar thing:

59870da19eaf8_159blackvsnoblack.PNG.b4fb295bd5d8578e7095f02aa19bf275.thumb.PNG.22fe6d792490110bd912a7f6caa82e6e.PNG

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

You're welcome.  I find them interesting. I couldn't find the one I was looking for but here's a similar thing:

59870da19eaf8_159blackvsnoblack.PNG.b4fb295bd5d8578e7095f02aa19bf275.thumb.PNG.22fe6d792490110bd912a7f6caa82e6e.PNG

I've seen a lot of these. I think it's just a different color strike on the black plate. Bronze age marvels often had a lot of variation of this nature throughout the run.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

That looks like water / moisture damage to me. See the wording at the top is smudged as if the ink has run. Is this the only book you've seen like it? Your wording indicates you've seen others? 

Though I agree with you, why didn't the reds in the title fade ? 

I have a Challengers of the Unknown 1 with the grey background. I always assumed it was just printed that way, but perhaps it's some sort physical aging. I could see a case where the ink is not completely stable and merely oxidizes - who knows? :/

I have a Challengers of the Unknown #1 with a blue cover. I have seen copies also of the grey. I think that was they were printed at the end of the printing run. Just a guess??