• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

Note: this was originally posted on page 15 of a thread in Comics General on August 31st. We're creating it as an announcement to make it easier to find.

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

ghost rider.jpg

I think the answer as to why they are appearing more so in the newer generation slab, is pretty obvious. The new slabs are much more snug, resulting in more touching of the two surfaces. I'm not an engineer but if they would just loosen up the sides, like the previous generation, just a little would help. It would also facilitate the 'trick' of slipping a piece of paper through the sides. But as I said, I am not an engineer.

I'm also not an engineer, so I might be talking out of my backside, Is it possible that the new material (after Borax) has a different 'refractive index' (whatever that is) than Borax and is causing more severe NRs?

I was also informed by CGC that "there is a 14 day time frame for getting any corrections like this back to us." Any issues with Newton rings brought to their attention outside of that time frame will not be reholdered for free.

I was also told by the first customer service rep I contacted at CGC (immediately after receiving the slab a few months ago) that the Newton rings were not excessive. It wasn't until I kept going back to them after reading the results other boardies had with the same issue that I finally found a rep that agreed the Newton rings on my slab were excessive. Of course, that was outside the 14 day window so I am being billed by CGC for the reholdering. :tonofbricks:

Edited by Black_Adam

11 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I was also informed by CGC that "there is a 14 day time frame for getting any corrections like this back to us." Any issues with Newton rings brought to their attention outside of that time frame will not be reholdered for free.

I was also told by the first customer service rep I contacted at CGC (immediately after receiving the slab a few months ago) that the Newton rings were not excessive. It wasn't until I kept going back to them after reading the results other boardies had with the same issue that I finally found a rep that agreed the Newton rings on my slab were excessive. Of course, that was outside the 14 day window so I am being billed by CGC for the reholdering. :tonofbricks:

I wonder how a customer from a different country is handled. I don't even have my books yet and it is well beyond 14 days.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I wonder how a customer from a different country is handled. I don't even have my books yet and it is well beyond 14 days.

I'm also a Canuck. They send my books FedEx which only takes a couple of days. 

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm also a Canuck. They send my books FedEx which only takes a couple of days. 

Mine are coming via Joeypost who does pressing for us. I don't know how he shipped them.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Mine are coming via Joeypost who does pressing for us. I don't know how he shipped them.

I would guess as soon as Joe picks them up from CGC the 14-day clock starts ticking. Might be helpful to have him check your slabs for Newton rings in the CGC lobby so he can hand them right back if necessary!

One silver lining to the Newton ring issue is the money it's saved me from spending at the big auction houses (and here on the boards). I find myself avoiding comics in the new slabs like they have the plague (which, ironically, is kind of what the Newton rings look like) knowing I won't be happy once I have them in hand.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Please email me, I can get that refunded for you.  You shouldn't have been charged.  brittany@cgccomics.com

So I e-mailed CGC a while back about the newton rings but was told they weren't bad enough for CGC to give me a reholder. While they aren't as bad as some of the books shown in Marwoods thread they are still bad enough that I can't in good conscience sell them without alerting the potential buyer first. I certainly wouldn't buy these books from someone so am I stuck with them because of the time frame involved? I have since gotten another book back which is pictured in the original NR thread. It has No NR. No scratches. It is what I expect from the company that leads the comic grading industry. So do I have to settle for the 3 ugly books I subbed only a few months before my ":fixed" book?

"Ride the Tiger"

Given the contents of the first post in this thread that seems to be  incongruous customer service with CGCs statement.

BTW Brittany and folks, The 14 day policy is rather stingy given the shipping time itself of the books reaching the customer can be 5-7 days depending on time of year, distance etc...Is there no room or interest in your business model for a more realistic 21 days and the increased customer satisfaction it would yield?

Edited by 35CentEra