• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

The issue is consistency.  Sometimes CGC slabs have zero-little newton rings, and they look amazing.  Sometimes the front of the case is loaded with newton rings and it looks awful.  They've proven that they CAN produce a great product that is crystal clear - and that's what they advertise it as. So when you get one back that is loaded with rings and looks bad, it's hard to just accept it or "take it on the chin."  We, as the paying customer, can't be expected to say "oh well, them's the breaks..."  We wouldn't be expected to act that way with any other product we're buying.  "I bought four new tires for my car but one of them has a hole in it.  Guess I'll just have to accept it and drive the car on a flat."

No one puts a gun to your head to buy slabs. Keep your books raw until CGC have perfected the process to your satisfaction, or use a different company. Simple.

You go to a comic con. You find 2 of the same CGC slabbed book you are looking for. They are both 9.8s and newer type holders. 2 separate sellers are offering the same book for $500 dollars. You like both sellers as you've dealt with both before. The only difference between the slabs is that 1 is crystal clear and the other is loaded with newton rings. Being totally honest... who here would pick the slab with the newton rings?

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You have totally missed the point. Only a squeaky wheel gets greased. If everyone just says nothing about their displeasure with the service, then nothing gets changed. Why would it? You have to open your mouth and voice your opinion from time to time.

No. I haven't. The point is that NR are a fact, and they have been since inception, as I stated before. My point is they are not a problem unless they are in extreme. I agree the process is inconsistent, but we are dealing with plastics here and there are a multitude of factors which differ on any given day relating to temperatures, handling, integrity of materials etc. etc. If people are being so OCD about this, then they should stay away until a measure of satisfaction (for them) is attained. Like I said, you have other Companies. It's not a monopoly. 2c  

56 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

No. I haven't. The point is that NR are a fact, and they have been since inception, as I stated before. My point is they are not a problem unless they are in extreme. I agree the process is inconsistent, but we are dealing with plastics here and there are a multitude of factors which differ on any given day relating to temperatures, handling, integrity of materials etc. etc. If people are being so OCD about this, then they should stay away until a measure of satisfaction (for them) is attained. Like I said, you have other Companies. It's not a monopoly. 2c  

I should stay away. But guess what. I'm not going to.

4 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Well bully, bully noob. :banana:

You've already told everyone you don't care about the NRs. Thats fine. I am not going to try and change your opinion because it is exactly that and you are entitled to it. Now how about you give the people on the other side of the issue the same respect? No more of this. You are on ignore. 

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You've already told everyone you don't care about the NRs. Thats fine. I am not going to try and change your opinion because it is exactly that and you are entitled to it. Now how about you give the people on the other side of the issue the same respect? No more of this. You are on ignore. 

lol

I'm gutted.

1 hour ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Sure. It's a fact that previous generations exhibited a small degree of NR's. They are certainly more common and "extreme" with the current gen.

Although there are some hopeful signs of recent improvement, your opinions on the matter are in the minority. At least on these forums.

PGX is a joke and CBCS is a sinking ship. It's pretty close to a monopoly. It's good to see CGC attempting to fix it though, even if it took the major auction houses to complain.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

You go to a comic con. You find 2 of the same CGC slabbed book you are looking for. They are both 9.8s and newer type holders. 2 separate sellers are offering the same book for $500 dollars. You like both sellers as you've dealt with both before. The only difference between the slabs is that 1 is crystal clear and the other is loaded with newton rings. Being totally honest... who here would pick the slab with the newton rings?

Is this a trick question?  Seriously, if the first two CGC slabbed books were in new holders, I'd look for a third option, ...even if I had to pay a little more for it.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:48 PM, Grantley Goddard said:

The Newton Rings in new holders present as oil or water damage, probably because the new inner sleeve material is Mylar which has a propensity for that splotchy look when touching another plastic surface.  

Older holders with the Barex inner sleeve occasionally had Newton Rings that presented as broad glare with a rainbow effect at the edges.  It can usually be reduced in scans with mild pressure on the back of the holder, but in hand it's less distracting and doesn't look like a blotchy stain on the cover of the book itself, at least not in the examples I've seen.  Here's an old label book out of my own collection with a pretty extreme case of NR effect for comparison...

16908e23-c6cb-4d03-89fd-26a3af9d6371_zps

Now, here's a new label slabbed book purchased a couple of months back from an eBay seller.  The scan below displays a very mild case of Newton Rings that didn't show up in the seller's photo (still too much for me). You'll see the splotchy irregular water stain-like appearance in the center of the book around the saboteur's hands, bridge cable and on Stormy Foster's face...

83d407d5-dba0-4915-bf59-e117ba5b0bb5_zps

Note: This also demonstrates how difficult it is to scan these new holders.  The label scans fine, kinda like an advertising billboard, but the book scan completely fades into the background, but you can still see the splotchy NR.  I've had to completely reevaluate scanner settings when imaging new label CGC books.

I didn't hold the eBay seller responsible, but this type of NR presents much worse because it looks like a stain on the book rather than a reflection off of the inner sleeve.  

Of coarse, we're only supposed to look at the boldface book grade in the upper left hand corner, right? :screwy:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

I just received my winnings from the September Comiclink auction and all of the John Fantucchio books have horrible newton rings (I won five of them).  The other CGC books I won (one prior generation slab model and one other current slab model) didn't display such excessive rings.  The prior generation slab has no rings at all.

The most interesting thing is that I can't seem to get a good photo or scan of the rings.  It's only ugly when I look at the book in-hand.  I'll keep trying to take a photo and will post it if successful.

20 hours ago, Yorick said:

I just received my winnings from the September Comiclink auction and all of the John Fantucchio books have horrible newton rings (I won five of them).  The other CGC books I won (one prior generation slab model and one other current slab model) didn't display such excessive rings.  The prior generation slab has no rings at all.

The most interesting thing is that I can't seem to get a good photo or scan of the rings.  It's only ugly when I look at the book in-hand.  I'll keep trying to take a photo and will post it if successful.

I had the same problem photographing the rings. They are in your face obvious but for some reason you don't see them unless you hold the slab at the correct angle with the light hitting it just right. Of course I don't have the best cell phone so that may attribute to it.

So with enough light and a nice clean white background (no reflections) I was able to take the below photo.  Obviously the photo is edited/redacted, but can you guess which slab belongs to which grading company?  All three grading companies are represented here.

Slightly off-topic: the idea of the cross-over service for re-slabbing books into CGC holders would have me sending in a whole load of plastic if it were not for the rings.  Due to the rings, I should be looking at a cross-back service.  That way my book will be represented in the census, I'll be able to add it to my registry set, and I'll still be able to appreciate the beautiful cover art.

FG3 REDACT.jpg

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

So with enough light and a nice clean white background (no reflections) I was able to take the below photo.  Obviously the photo is edited/redacted, but can you guess which slab belongs to which grading company?  All three grading companies are represented here.

Slightly off-topic: the idea of the cross-over service for re-slabbing books into CGC holders would have me sending in a whole load of plastic if it were not for the rings.  Due to the rings, I should be looking at a cross-back service.  That way my book will be represented in the census, I'll be able to add it to my registry set, and I'll still be able to appreciate the beautiful cover art.

FG3 REDACT.jpg

I'll play. I'd place money that the middle one is CGC. As for the other two, I'd guess PGX is first with Voldemort being last.

Edited by s-dali

On 10/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

The same person who'd pick a comic with cream to off-white page quality over the copy that's otherwise comparable in price and condition but with white page quality.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/24/2018 at 9:48 PM, Yorick said:

This is a Fantucchio pedigree book I won in that auction, and you can see the rings in the Comiclink scan, although they're even worse in person.  There's no sugarcoating it, this is an inferior product:

00166142394496110345566024.jpg

Edited by namisgr

16 hours ago, Yorick said:

FG3 REDACT.jpg

Yeesh, that middle slab is fugly. Those rings made a mess of an otherwise beautiful comic. :boo: