• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, comic girl said:

I am surprised at how many people are so upset by the NR’s. I for one enjoy looking at my graded comics and their covers for a few minutes every once in a while and then I put them back in storage for a lengthy while. I am much more focused on the fact that they are quantified with a grade and protected. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love them or anything, I just don’t mind them. I guess I can agree that a clear case without the rings would be better.

Anyway I’ll tell you what; anyone who wants to sell one of their key books at a slight discount because of NR please contact me for an offer. And that goes for cracked/damaged cases as well. For me It’s about the comics much more than it is about the holders! 

I like bought this new tv a while back and there are splotches all over the screen when i'm watching my programs. Anyways I guess I don't care cuz i'm more interested in my shows than I am the TV itself.

Received a book back in September (sketch cover signature series) and it had Newton Rings. Chalked it up as something of a transition period case. Received 3 books back  this week and 2 out of 3 were good. 1 of them had them though so no, the problem isn't gone. 

1st pic - book graded in September

2nd pic - received 2 days ago

20181022_193044.jpg

20181204_184649.jpg

Edited by Keys_Collector
spelling correction

On 12/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, Keys_Collector said:

Received a book back in September (sketch cover signature series) and it had Newton Rings. Chalked it up as something of a transition period case. Received 3 books back  this week and 2 out of 3 were good. 1 of them had them though so no, the problem isn't gone. 

1st pic - book graded in September

2nd pic - received 2 days ago

20181022_193044.jpg

20181204_184649.jpg

That commission looks awesome!!!! I would love to see shot of the whole thing!! 

gino2paulus2 - Thanks!  Pics are up on the sketch thread and on my Instagram account.  Artist is Rob Broussard who's done some work for Topps.

Emailed CGC about this same Jungle Action 6 having a bent corner making it look as if it was sliced off (folded back during grading, sent in as PGX graded book and didn't have folded corner) and also mentioned that this particular book had Newton Rings.  Pretty disappointed in their long winded response which i'm sure is the typical generic response but especially bothersome is "There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable." 

Thought this issue was getting better?  (shrug)

44 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

gino2paulus2 - Thanks!  Pics are up on the sketch thread and on my Instagram account.  Artist is Rob Broussard who's done some work for Topps.

Emailed CGC about this same Jungle Action 6 having a bent corner making it look as if it was sliced off (folded back during grading, sent in as PGX graded book and didn't have folded corner) and also mentioned that this particular book had Newton Rings.  Pretty disappointed in their long winded response which i'm sure is the typical generic response but especially bothersome is "There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable." 

Thought this issue was getting better?  (shrug)

Are they still pushing out that line after everything that's been said? 

Their customers don't seem to agree with them...

And thanks to the boards embedding software for selecting that particular thread image! (worship)

On 11/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I like bought this new tv a while back and there are splotches all over the screen when i'm watching my programs. Anyways I guess I don't care cuz i'm more interested in my shows than I am the TV itself.

Wow, can you be anymore of a drama queen?? Your comparison makes absolutely no sense, just like the comparison a guy made with the 4 tires. In fact, it goes against your chronic complaining about the rings being the most important thing, moreso than the actual comic , the grade and the protection. It's sad that when you send a book to get graded, which I see you still do, you are like "I hope there's no NRs , don't care about anything else. I don't even care if the book slides around in the holder, just as long as there's no NRs". 

On 12/1/2018 at 6:28 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

Why should anybody be put into a position to take less money, especially when it's not their fault?

I think this was in response to the people who think their books are now worth less because of NRs. Any logical person isn't in the position of wanting to take less because of NRs. I guess you missed the sarcasm.

Edited by CCComics

11 hours ago, CCComics said:

Wow, can you be anymore of a drama queen?? Your comparison makes absolutely no sense, just like the comparison a guy made with the 4 tires. In fact, it goes against your chronic complaining about the rings being the most important thing, moreso than the actual comic , the grade and the protection. It's sad that when you send a book to get graded, which I see you still do, you are like "I hope there's no NRs , don't care about anything else. I don't even care if the book slides around in the holder, just as long as there's no NRs". 

Was just a joke. Sorry you thought it more than that.

People need to realize that what isn't important to them may be very important to others. Let's say that John considers NRs to be a 2 (on a scale from 1 to 10 on what's important), but Steve considers them to be a 9. Does that mean Steve should be ridiculed by John?

Kind of in the same ballpark as "What I collect is great & what you collect sucks."