• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:04 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

As a side note, unless something has changed, I don't think CGC will verify the signature as authentic unless the autograph is certified as witnessed at the time it's submitted for grading. hm

They won't. It would come back as a Green Label Qualified grade.

I just found this thread. Did you guys know that you can get rid of Newton Rings ? Take a modern age backing board. Cut a 3" wide strip from it.

The top and the bottom of the new cases have just enough space to fit the board piece in. You may have to pry a little bit to open it at first. Push the board piece as far as it goes and make it shift left and right so you separate the inner well from the slab. Presto....newton rings are either gone are greatly reduced.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, Kevlar said:

I just found this thread. Did you guys know that you can get rid of Newton Rings ? Take a modern age backing board. Cut a 3" wide strip from it.

The top and the bottom of the new cases have just enough space to fit the board piece in. You may have to pry a little bit to open it at first. Push the board piece as far as it goes and make it shift left and right so you separate the inner well from the slab. Presto....newton rings are either gone are greatly reduced.

I just tried this on a "cheaper" slab of mine.  After the scary creaking/cracking noises of prying the bottom edge slightly open, I was indeed able to push a card-stock sliver of paper between the inner and outer wells to eliminate some rings.  There are now a few marks at the bottom edge of the case where I applied tension, but now I can actually enjoy the appearance of the book!  If you attempt to do this, don't try and pry the plastic apart too much.  I think you may end up with some fractured corner posts.

This is similar to the second generation slabs whereby you would insert card-stock paper through the side of the case.  However, these new cases seem to have less flexibility.

Thank you @Kevlar

On 2/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, Kevlar said:

I tried this with just a standard sheet of paper and it did the trick...until the rings started to appear in other places.

I'm honestly not that bothered by Newton rings, and I'm kinda surprised to see people make such a big deal out of it. To each their own I guess.

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

I tried this with just a standard sheet of paper and it did the trick...until the rings started to appear in other places.

I'm honestly not that bothered by Newton rings, and I'm kinda surprised to see people make such a big deal out of it. To each their own I guess.

Yea, this only spread the rings to new places.  Although little rings are not as distracting as the big ones.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, Darkowl said:

I'm kinda surprised to see people make such a big deal out of it. To each their own I guess.

Obviously you haven't received a slab so riddled with NR's, it's hard to see the cover. It a moot point now, as I've gotten 75 slabs in the last 2 months with no newtons.

Edited by I like pie

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

Obviously you haven't received a slab so riddled wit NR's, it's hard to see the cover. It a moot point now, as I've gotten 75 slabs in the last 2 months with no newtons.

That's true. I've never even seen a book in person or online that had that many NR's. Do you have any samples?

On 2/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, Yorick said:

Yea, this only spread the rings to new places.  Although little rings are not as distracting as the big ones.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

4 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I actually do have books like that. What's funny is that it never really bothered me that much, because I thought it was "normal", and the book wasn't effected by it.

Ironically, the more I think about it, the more it now bothers me, and it's not just the rings I'm talking about. From reading people's posts, it seems like CGC just really doesn't care about how their customers feel about Newton Rings. CGC makes a single post in a thread, and then bails, no follow up or anything (unless I missed something).

People actually having to ask several times to rehold their slabs until an employee actually agrees with them? That's BS. And the 14 day window? Also BS. It comes across as cheap (as in cheapskate). And what's up with the scratches on the case? Where did those come from? 

The lack of customer service on CGC's end is far more troubling than the Newton Rings themselves. 

PS. If something has changed that I'm unaware of, please inform me.

I haven't had much of a problem but I usually deal direct with Brittany. She's wonderful. Try her @ bmcmanus@cgccomics.com.

16 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I haven't had much of a problem but I usually deal direct with Brittany. She's wonderful. Try her @ bmcmanus@cgccomics.com.

That's great to hear! I will definitely reach out to her then. Thank you for the recommendation! 

Btw, do I need to be concerned with it being a signed book?

Edited by Darkowl

15 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

That's great to hear! I will definitely reach out to her then. Thank you for the recommendation! 

Btw, do I need to be concerned with it being a signed book?

I think there was a thread about losing the Stan Lee label when sent back to cgc. Would look into that before sending back if you are wanting that label. 

22 minutes ago, jdennis3 said:

I think there was a thread about losing the Stan Lee label when sent back to cgc. Would look into that before sending back if you are wanting that label. 

I was actually wondering about that myself. Thanks for the heads up! Can they just re-use the label, or is it more of a machine/conveyer belt system?

Edited by Darkowl

On 2/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, Darkowl said:

or is it more of a machine/conveyer belt system?

At the times I hear some books take to grade I thought it was funny to vision a conveyer belt system spitting labels on slabs at a high rate of speed.

Edited by dfx1