• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, dfx1 said:

At the times I hear some books taking to grade I though it was funny to vision a conveyer belt system spitting labels on slabs at a high rate of speed.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if it came to that, as well as robots/machines even doing the grading.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, I like pie said:

I haven't had much of a problem but I usually deal direct with Brittany. She's wonderful. Try her @ bmcmanus@cgccomics.com.

I've been chatting with Brittany today about my X-Men book. She is all sorts of awesome! Super friendly, and so eager to help! She's the perfect example of what every CGC rep should be like. 

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Edited by Darkowl

Hello

has anyone ever heard of rings appearing after a year of more? I had a couple that's been hanging on the wall for more than a year i started to take them down to sell to upgrade and there were rings one very excessive?

also do the other grading companies have this problem?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, nineballlowlife said:

Hello

has anyone ever heard of rings appearing after a year of more? I had a couple that's been hanging on the wall for more than a year i started to take them down to sell to upgrade and there were rings one very excessive?

Thanks!

My suggestion: Follow up by posting camera images or scans of holdered books so folks can have some reference.  Before/After images would be even better, but not necessary.  If you didn't see NR last year, that suggests an on-going change which could be a concern. 

Has anybody else experienced this?  hm

On 2/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, Darkowl said:

I've been chatting with Brittany today about my X-Men book. She is all sorts of awesome! Super friendly, and so eager to help! She's the perfect example of what every CGC rep should be like. 

Thanks again for the recommendation!

If Brittany is the only one to listen to us about chronic NR problems and others, she should be the president of CGC instead of being a rep and assures no more further problems for us.

18 hours ago, nineballlowlife said:

Hello

Thanks!

Could it be that you just didn't notice before? 

12 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Could it be that you just didn't notice before? 

I was thinking along that line too, but then I remembered discussions about how NR were getting past QC back when the issue became a serious problem. Theories abound, but a consensus formed for the possibility of temperature variations during shipping exacerbating contact between the Mylar envelope and undersurface of the holder.  It's not much of an extrapolation from considering regional temperature variations as a factor to the possibility that changes might occur over time in different storage.environments.  

Just sayin'. (shrug)

I don't have a practical way to post pictures i only use a tablet w/ 2mp camera! I can't even take a non blurry cat pic! Sorry!

the only thing I use computers/tablets for is buying or looking for comics!

Anyway, I live in a fairly humid environment and the NR's definitely showed up after the fact! 

I was ready to send off my first batch of 25 for grading when this issue first came up for me but now who knows!?

I broke my new red wagon on Christmas day about 35 years ago; that pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation...

The only reason I'm here is to maybe get insight? if I can help w/ anymore info just let me know but I will be working til midnight or so!

Thank you!

• Administrator
On 3/6/2019 at 6:07 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I was thinking along that line too, but then I remembered discussions about how NR were getting past QC back when the issue became a serious problem. Theories abound, but a consensus formed for the possibility of temperature variations during shipping exacerbating contact between the Mylar envelope and undersurface of the holder.  It's not much of an extrapolation from considering regional temperature variations as a factor to the possibility that changes might occur over time in different storage.environments.  

Just sayin'. (shrug)

If they need to be reholdered, email me, and I can help: bmcmanus@cgccomics.com

4 hours ago, Brittany M. said:

Thanks Brittany, this information is much appreciated.  I've only acquired one graded book with NR issues (an eBay auction purchase, where the seller's phone image didn't clearly display the problem in the listing).  Fortunately, the book in question has been fixed without CGC's involvement.  

Nevertheless, I had no idea that CGC would commit to reholdering books purchased from auctions where the problem isn't evident until the graded book is in hand.  This is good news!  (thumbsu

On 3/12/2019 at 9:53 PM, Brittany M. said:

I literally just noticed NR's on a book I had slabbed late last year; 99.9% sure they weren't visible when I received it.

Here's another aspect of this problem (from a long term perspective): some dealers still have books in their inventories with serious NR issues.  It may not matter to all customers, but it sure as heck matters to some of us.  The best way to convey this is through a personal anecdote from this weekend's Wondercon.

I walked away from a major GA purchase Saturday because the comic was literally covered with NR, but also failed to communicate my displeasure directly to the dealer (not wanting to leave the impression that this was a negotiating tactic, which it wasn't).  Still, he may have noticed that I mentioned the NR issue to my wife, and since I'd spent a substantial sum with this dealer in the past he was probably aware that this was a very real sale loss.

Short of CGC taking some kind of drastic measure like a voluntary recall of books that continue to demonstrate NR (regardless of when they were graded), this problem will likely recur in the foreseeable future.  hm

Edited by Cat-Man_America

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Here's another aspect of this problem (from a long term perspective): some dealers still have books in their inventories with serious NR issues.  It may not matter to all customers, but it sure as heck matters to some of us.  The best way to convey this is through a personal anecdote from this weekend's Wondercon.

I walked away from a major GA purchase Saturday because the comic was literally covered with NR.  Nevertheless, I tried to avoid making my displeasure evident to the dealer, not wanting to leave the impression that this was a negotiating tactic (because it wasn't).  Still, he probably noticed me mention the NR issue to my wife.  As a side note, in the past I'd spent a substantial sum with this dealer, so I suspect he was aware that this was a real sale loss.

Short of CGC taking some kind of drastic measure such as conducting a voluntary recall of all books that continue to demonstrate NR (regardless of when they were graded), this problem will likely persist into the foreseeable future.  hm

I am 100% behind you. To me a slab full of ugly NRs would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't shy down from telling a seller that either because the more vocal everyone becomes on this issue, the better chance there is of CGC finally offering to fix ALL the problems on their dime. I won't sell some of my books on Ebay because I'm afraid someone will demand a return or leave me negative feedback. All because I didn't get the clear case I was promised. I am to the point where I just want to give them away at the VCC and be rid of them. Not what I want to do but I'm NOT selling them on ebay.

I recently saw a book i need on the feebay that had NRs.  BUT, the book also had stains on the cover.  I couldn't figure out which were the stains and which were the NRs!  Maybe if the seller had taken more pictures at different angles....

11 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I walked away from a major GA purchase Saturday because the comic was literally covered with NR, but also failed to communicate my displeasure directly to the dealer (not wanting to leave the impression that this was a negotiating tactic, which it wasn't).  Still, he may have noticed that I mentioned the NR issue to my wife, and since I'd spent a substantial sum with this dealer in the past he was probably aware that this was a very real sale loss.

Short of CGC taking some kind of drastic measure like a voluntary recall of books that continue to demonstrate NR (regardless of when they were graded), this problem will likely recur in the foreseeable future.  hm

Why not just negotiate the reholder fee (which you might not even have to pay) into the price of the book and be honest with the seller?  While I agree NR's can be rather hideous, to walk away from the purchase of a book doesn't sound like the best tactic and isn't quite transparent in a buyer/seller relationship.

5 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Why not just negotiate the reholder fee (which you might not even have to pay) into the price of the book and be honest with the seller?  While I agree NR's can be rather hideous, to walk away from the purchase of a book doesn't sound like the best tactic and isn't quite transparent in a buyer/seller relationship.

For me, NR is a deal breaker, period.  I don't waste time dealing with it.  

Negotiating the reholder fee would've done several things I wanted to avoid: 1) Placing the responsibility and added cost on the dealer for a flaw he didn't cause and failed to identify as an issue, 2) extended the time required reaching a deal to both of our satisfactions through the reholdering process with no guarantee of resolution, and 3) required way too much back and forth time shipping since the dealer resides in CA and I live in TX.  This didn't jeopardize any future buyer/seller relationship.  As I said before, this wasn't tactical.  I didn't want the dealer to feel that NR was being used as a negotiating tactic to drive down his selling price.

17 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I am 100% behind you. To me a slab full of ugly NRs would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't shy down from telling a seller that either because the more vocal everyone becomes on this issue, the better chance there is of CGC finally offering to fix ALL the problems on their dime. I won't sell some of my books on Ebay because I'm afraid someone will demand a return or leave me negative feedback. All because I didn't get the clear case I was promised. I am to the point where I just want to give them away at the VCC and be rid of them. Not what I want to do but I'm NOT selling them on ebay.

I sold all of my CGC books several months back primarily because of the NR issues.  It is completely unacceptable.  That should be obvious to anyone that isn't blind.  How CGC can take this issue so lightly is beyond me.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:02 AM, Yorick said:

I recently saw a book i need on the feebay that had NRs.  BUT, the book also had stains on the cover.  I couldn't figure out which were the stains and which were the NRs!  Maybe if the seller had taken more pictures at different angles....

When I submit books, I always ask if they can make the NRs cover the stains. :insane:

Hello. I just received my first ever batch of slabbed comics from CGC. They look beautiful and I see zero Newton rings. 

I have a couple questions. I'm sure these questions have been asked before in this topic, but I notice there are hundreds of posts here and I don't have time to go through all the posts.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1- My slabs have no rings now. Can they appear later on? And if so......

2- Is there a way to store the slabs in order to prevent or prolong the appearance of Newton rings?