• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Hello all. I'm new to this thread. I have been holding off from sending to CGC because of the Newton rings problem. Has this been solved yet?

It looked like it for a while but apparently people are still reporting the problem. I have a few books getting reholdered so I'll check back when I can update the status.

41 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

It looked like it for a while but apparently people are still reporting the problem. I have a few books getting reholdered so I'll check back when I can update the status.

Thank you. Much obliged.

Picked up my order a few days ago, just inspected the comics. ALL 16 ( SIXTEEN! ) have them. 

The problem has not been fixed! CGC knows the audience they are dealing with, do not understand why this continues to be an issue. 

Just sent an email to CGC. Will update when I get a response. 

37 minutes ago, El-Gato said:

Picked up my order a few days ago, just inspected the comics. ALL 16 ( SIXTEEN! ) have them. 

The problem has not been fixed! CGC knows the audience they are dealing with, do not understand why this continues to be an issue. 

Just sent an email to CGC. Will update when I get a response. 

Thank you also for answering my query. I'll hold onto my comics until they resolve the matter.

I sent in ten books last month and seven of them came back with Newton Rings. Brittany has been helping me and she is great to work with. The thing is, I sent these ten books in for Reholder as they had bad NR already, after seeing posts on this thread from others stating they were getting clear holders back, I decided to reach out and see if I could get my problem books fixed. When I emailed Brittany to let her know of this she told me I could sent them back. We’ll see how the second attempt works.

The funny part is that the three books that came back free of NR were the three cheapest books.

7 hours ago, I like pie said:

I bumped up the old poll in the main area:frustrated:

What fool did that poll! lol

Oh, it was me. 

Shame this is still going on isn't it. I'm willing them to fix it so I can send my Spideys in. They're grading thousands of books each week. Are you guys posting here just the unlucky ones? Or is it still a fairly prevalent phenomenon? 

At least you get great remedial service from Brittany. Must be tough for her, trying to defend the indefensible. Tougher on the paying customer though I guess.

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What fool did that poll! lol

Oh, it was me. 

Shame this is still going on isn't it. I'm willing them to fix it so I can send my Spideys in. They're grading thousands of books each week. Are you guys posting here just the unlucky ones? Or is it still a fairly prevalent phenomenon? 

At least you get great remedial service from Brittany. Must be tough for her, trying to defend the indefensible. Tougher on the paying customer though I guess.

It's not all of them. The recent batch I got back had 6 that i sent back out of 20. A couple only showed them if you applied pressure on the case. I didn't send those back.

It's all so confusing. There was a point in Get Marwoods thread where people were starting to get books back without the rings. Myself being one of them. That's when people started reporting scratches on the inside of the cover. I have received 2 batches of books back since that time and they were all fine. I currently have a few books in for reholdering and I'm worried we are right back where we started from.

That looks to me more like trapped air bubbles that don't have a way out sorta like when you put a protector over a screen then you forget to take a micro cloth and push out all the bubbles after it is on the face of the screen. I just sent in my very first comics to be slabbed I hope they don't come back looking like that. It would make for a really bad first impression of CGC for me. :(

Recently sent in 9 for reholder. 2 of them came back with rings but one of those was only visible if I angled the slab a certain way otherwise I couldn't see the rings. I had to send back the other one (ASM 128) through Brittany which actually had less rings but the blotch it did have was right on spideys leg & was clearly visible looking straight at it without angling the slab. I mean I suppose I'm mostly satisfied with the outcome here but why can't they just redo the one I had to send back instead of returning it to me with a nasty blotch of rings on the front cover? It's obvious to anyone that looks at it! Why can't these damn bone heads figure this out? It's ridiculous!

I have 5 more reholders in now & will report back. Also 8 separate ones that had previous Newtons thru Brittany that I'll report

Get it together CGC!

On 5/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, I like pie said:

No way. Email Brittany @bmcmanus@cgccomics.com. She'll take care of you.

No retreat. No surrender.

She's probably getting so bombarded at this point by unsatisfied customers from all this incompetence I wouldn't expect a response for awhile! I think she needs a team of people just dedicated to handling these emails

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

She's probably getting so bombarded at this point by unsatisfied customers from all this incompetence I wouldn't expect a response for awhile! I think she needs a team of people just dedicated to handling these emails

Agreed. When I had these NR's come back a few weeks ago, I tried to email general customer service first and didn't even get a reply.

Edited by I like pie

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I think it would be easier to produce newton free slabs the first time, like CGC used to do.  

Yeah but the visual payoff is greater imo with a ring free new slab. The clarity is worth it. I'm willing to take the small risk at this point but I may have to rethink if this keeps up. I actually had a couple of old slabs with a blotch of Newton rings believe it or not! One is the ASM 70 I recently posted other is #83. They were minor but they were there

4 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah but the visual payoff is greater imo with a ring free new slab. The clarity is worth it. I'm willing to take the small risk at this point but I may have to rethink if this keeps up. I actually had a couple of old slabs with a blotch of Newton rings believe it or not! One is the ASM 70 I recently posted other is #83. They were minor but they were there

Wern't the new slabs newton ring free in the beginning?  I thought there was a product change because Barex ?sp was no longer available?

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Wern't the new slabs newton ring free in the beginning?  I thought there was a product change because Barex ?sp was no longer available?

If I'm not mistaken I think ~2017 or so they came out with the "new" version that looks similar to the current ones that are thicker with the updated labels but they didn't have the books in the mylar seal inside the slab & they also didn't have an inner well. I have a few of those. Out of these few one of them has small rings along the spine of the book on left side of the slab so I don't think they were ever ring free.

I think they changed that version due to incidents of *shaken comic syndrome* were the cover separated from the pages. I don't know that it had anything to do with a Barex? Some of the latest ones don't have an inner well either but the books are in the inner mylar as oppoosed to when they made the original change few years back.

That's my understanding. Perhaps someone else is better informed on the ins & outs here?

Edited by MGsimba77