• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

We actually are doing a new video and yes...we found a way to remove NR without scratches. Waiting for a book with a decent amount of NR to do the video on.

I have an update.

I tried your idea on 3 slabs. I was able to get rid of the deeper rings that were plainly visible without any scratches or streaks. I wasn't able to get rid of the more minor rings that were only visible by angling the slab however. I'm very happy that I attempted this although with some trepidation since one of them was a 9.8 GSXM. Results are great! They're cleared up for the most part. I actually saw the rings being cleared out while I was putting in the backing board.

Here's why I think I avoided scratching. I kept the bottom edge pried open with a small thin pair of scissors while I put in the board as opposed to the board being moved around with the slab shut closed. I think a butter knife might work too. The key is to give the backing board enough room to move within the inside of the slab and not to sort of shut it in too tight...if that makes any sense. It takes forever though to pry the slab open in order to do this. I wasn't sure how much force I could apply without braking the integrity of the holder. Patience is required!

It's been 5 days now and they're still cleared up. The rings haven't reappeared. Thanks again for the idea!!!

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I wonder how long it will be before a newton ring removal service opens up?

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Word!

:idea:

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I have an update.

I tried your idea on 3 slabs. I was able to get rid of the deeper rings that were plainly visible without any scratches or streaks. I wasn't able to get rid of the more minor rings that were only visible by angling the slab however. I'm very happy that I attempted this although with some trepidation since one of them was a 9.8 GSXM. Results are great! They're cleared up for the most part. I actually saw the rings being cleared out while I was putting in the backing board.

Here's why I think I avoided scratching. I kept the bottom edge pried open with a small thin pair of scissors while I put in the board as opposed to the board being moved around with the slab shut closed. I think a butter knife might work too. The key is to give the backing board enough room to move within the inside of the slab and not to sort of shut it in too tight...if that makes any sense. It takes forever though to pry the slab open in order to do this. I wasn't sure how much force I could apply without braking the integrity of the holder. Patience is required!

It's been 5 days now and they're still cleared up. The rings haven't reappeared. Thanks again for the idea!!!

To add to this :shy: 

I think it matters to use a "new" "cut board" as often as you do it, I noticed after first use it was a little ruffled from the grip....

Perhaps you want the cleanest edge possible....

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

To add to this :shy: 

I think it matters to use a "new" "cut board" as often as you do it, I noticed after first use it was a little ruffled from the grip....

Perhaps you want the cleanest edge possible....

Yes this is true. I used the same board on 2 of them but after the second time it got a little too jacked up. Advisable to use new one each time

Edited by MGsimba77

8 hours ago, Kevlar said:

We actually are doing a new video and yes...we found a way to remove NR without scratches. Waiting for a book with a decent amount of NR to do the video on.

Alas, ...are we actually seeing the beginnings of an after-after market NR removal service?  :ohnoez:

3 hours ago, Rodney ODell said:

I think mine is getting worse. I am contacting customer service.

IMG_0701.jpg

Give em a ring.

They gave you one, so it's only fair.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:18 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Alas, ...are we actually seeing the beginnings of an after-after market NR removal service?  :ohnoez:

Hell no....we aren't doing it. Just giving people the knowledge on how to do it themselves.

I guess the overall stance of CGC is that this acceptable from the email I received today:

Thank you for your email. What you are seeing is called the rainbow or prism effect, also known at Newton rings. There is no liquid present, or anything that can damage your book. This can occur when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In our cases, it’s the refractive qualities of the hard outer shell and the archival-quality Mylar sheets over the book, which have been approved by the Library of Congress for the preservation of paper.

There are acceptable levels of Newton rings in all of our encapsulated books. Re-holder service is available, and while we do our best to minimize the level of Newton Rings present, there is no guarantee this will correct or eliminate the Newton rings.

This is disappointing to say the least. Fortunately I scanned through the thread after I sent the first email and contacted Brittany and she is taking care of this for me. If it wasn't for Brittany we would basically be screwed. Thanks Brittany!

12 hours ago, Rodney ODell said:

I guess the overall stance of CGC is that this acceptable from the email I received today:

Thank you for your email. What you are seeing is called the rainbow or prism effect, also known at Newton rings. There is no liquid present, or anything that can damage your book. This can occur when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In our cases, it’s the refractive qualities of the hard outer shell and the archival-quality Mylar sheets over the book, which have been approved by the Library of Congress for the preservation of paper.

There are acceptable levels of Newton rings in all of our encapsulated books. Re-holder service is available, and while we do our best to minimize the level of Newton Rings present, there is no guarantee this will correct or eliminate the Newton rings.

This is disappointing to say the least. Fortunately I scanned through the thread after I sent the first email and contacted Brittany and she is taking care of this for me. If it wasn't for Brittany we would basically be screwed. Thanks Brittany!

That's a copy/paste email. I tried not bothering Brittany a few times when I had bad NR's but I always get the above response when it try to go through normal customer service:eyeroll:

On 5/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, Rodney ODell said:

I’m glad Brittany is helping you. She helped me with this recently and I got my books back today, no NR!

On 11/3/2018 at 10:21 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Same here, I won two Fantucchio, both special books. I can't get a good photo either. What really stinks in the back of the slab is crystal clear. 

Hide contents

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.01e9726e3ec4956cab8d5cf5c4ce13ce.JPGIMG_5799.thumb.JPG.1883e9cf57ed0677ae1262ef999e019f.JPGIMG_5800.thumb.JPG.eed4201801dc9c2a77e828427cd74d4d.JPG

I had to ship this one (and several others) twice to get a NR free holder. Now I can finally see what the book actually looks like.

P1030211.thumb.JPG.8a0c559f1aa8054fbe65c7ff259dc7ac.JPG

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

So I got back the 8 books I sent out through Brittany (before learning about Kevlar's backing board method).

5 of the 8 came back with just as many NRs as before. One of them was actually worse. I was able to get rid of the deepest NRs which are usually in the middle of the front cover with the backing board but not the lighter ones particularly higher up or off to the sides of the front cover. This took up a good chunk of the day as you could imagine doing this to 5 books being as careful as possible!

One of the three that came back clear (IH 182) had another problem however. It was misaligned in the holder positioned much closer to the right side leaving a big empty space on the left side of the holder. This is not the first time this has happened either. To me this misalignment is just as bad as Newtown rings. If it's not one thing it's another! I essentially paid 35 dollars which is what it cost me to ship/insure these books to CGC to get 2 out of 8 satisfactory books back. It's a disgrace!!!

This is what happens when there's a lack of competition in the marketplace! You think for a second CGC would be putting out those feeble cut & paste email responses if they had a serious competitor or competitors out there? Of course not! Sigh... I don't know what I'm going to do at this point :facepalm:? CGC deserves to lose business over this!

I wanna give another thanks to @Kevlar for offering up that idea. I'd be stuck with a pile of nasty looking CGC holders without him

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

So I got back the 8 books I sent out through Brittany (before learning about Kevlar's backing board method).

5 of the 8 came back with just as many NRs as before. One of them was actually worse. I was able to get rid of the deepest NRs which are usually in the middle of the front cover with the backing board but not the lighter ones particularly higher up or off to the sides of the front cover. This took up a good chunk of the day as you could imagine doing this to 5 books being as careful as possible!

One of the three that came back clear (IH 182) had another problem however. It was misaligned in the holder positioned much closer to the right side leaving a big empty space on the left side of the holder. This is not the first time this has happened either. To me this misalignment is just as bad as Newtown rings. If it's not one thing it's another! I essentially paid 35 dollars which is what it cost me to ship/insure these books to CGC to get 2 out of 8 satisfactory books back. It's a disgrace!!!

This is what happens when there's a lack of competition in the marketplace! You think for a second CGC would be putting out those feeble cut & paste email responses if they had a serious competitor or competitors out there? Of course not! Sigh... I don't know what I'm going to do at this point :facepalm:? CGC deserves to lose business over this!

I wanna give another thanks to @Kevlar for offering up that idea. I'd be stuck with a pile of nasty looking CGC holders without him

They always credit me for shipping it there. You may want to ask.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:52 AM, MGsimba77 said:

If there were serious competition in the marketplace ...and I'm not saying one way or the other..., you do realize we couldn't openly discuss your options without violating CGC policies.  Not surprising perhaps, the forum guidelines seem to be more flexible when it comes to disparaging the competition, but that's kinda expected.  My point is that it's entirely believable that the opinions you hold and those expressed in this forum will usually label the main competitor is evil, bad, undependable, etc.   Another way of looking at this is that whether you're unhappy with CGC's service or not, it might be worthwhile researching what's available to you before committing more books to third party grading.  Just sayin'.  :shy: