• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not that I’m nosy or anything. . . Why did you reholder? Were the cases dinged up? Or did you want to replace the microchamber paper? Or were you looking for a reholder review?

reason I ask is I just picked up a book that had been certified in 2004, and I’m wondering if I should reholder

in a way, I like the old certification because books weren’t getting pressed back then, but I’ve heard some of the older capsules aren’t as good as the ones now

Not nosy at all! That's what the forum is for.

In this case I was replacing the old holders which I'm not fond of. Actually one of the old holders had some blotches believe it or not. I think the grades on the old labels look drab and photocopied. The new holders if they're mostly free of NRs are more visually appealing because of the clarity. I like that they're thicker/ more durable. I could accept a few NRs so long as it's off to the side not splattered all over the middle of the cover.

So to answer your Q I did it mostly for cosmetic reasons. 

On 6/14/2019 at 3:52 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I wonder if anyone has tried something along this line to reduce or eliminate NR...

71FFFPPxzgL._SY879_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/138-1084997-2532902?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00017LSPI&pd_rd_r=e36ad270-8e74-11e9-a9b4-bb239efd09e0&pd_rd_w=H4lS1&pd_rd_wg=yQQrn&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D&psc=1&refRID=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D

Have no idea of effectiveness for this purpose, but before risking the introduction of moisture into holders well via compressed air, I'd think something more controllable might be worth a try.   Just sayin'.

These simple hand-held squeeze blowers are designed to remove dust from cameras & other delicate instruments. 

Kinky

Thanks, Kevlar, for posting the Video above comparing all three Grading Companies.
Gives me some insights. I have used CGC and CBCS(for signature verification)>
Just sent in 39 Books. Still more to send CGC, soon.
Won't know the results until the Holiday, probably. Hopefully, sooner!?

Anyone else tried the compressed air for Newton Rings?
Anyone tried the other air blower above?
Would appreciate Your opinions.
Haven't had any newton Ring problems myself on less than 50 Books.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Here's my opinion about CGC's newton ring problem.

Spoiler Alert...it's not one of my favorite things.  :D  :sumo:

Here's two new examples from the last 24 hours:

(1)

Certification Information
Certification #: 2044677006
Title: Transformers
Issue: 1
Issue Date: 3/19
Issue Year: 2019
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Grade: 9.8
Total Graded At: 74
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 06/06/2019
Variant: The Fellowship Edition
Category: Modern
Art Comments: Brian Ruckley story
Angel Hernandez & Cachet Whitman art
John Gallagher cover
Key Comments: ""Virgin"" cover.
Grader Notes: None Available

ubGBj6I.jpg

(2)

Certification Information
Certification #: 1169638009
Title: Battle Ground
Issue: 13
Issue Date: 9/56
Issue Year: 1956
Publisher: Atlas Comics
Grade: 5.0
Total Graded At: 1
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 09/13/2016 <--- Reholder (Date doesn't change)
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Russ Heath cover
Al Williamson, Gene Colan, Mort Drucker,
Ayers and Bill Walton art
Signatures: SIGNED BY RUSS HEATH ON 7/22/16

wl15yD2.jpg

SbSR3F3.jpg

On 6/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This right here... as many others here have stated that this is the issue when there is no competition.  Still that excuse aside. Gone are the days of most taking pride in their workThey have just let it go to the point where TAT are a joke. So hit or miss, and just the same, the chances of getting an actual slab worth, not only what we as the customer have paid , but the time it has taken to receive, has kept me and MANY other from not only buying, but sending in a lot of our collections.  I have a TON of books I would love to slab, yet my last submission (17) almost half have NR. Only a few they would call extreme enough (maybe) for reholder, but I do not want to go down that road for several reasons. Brittany has already done so much to try to help with all of our issues with these.( HUGE THANK YOU TO BRITTANY!! YOU ARE AMAZING!) IT IS Not fair to keep piling it on her. I do not believe it is fair to pay for shipping to CGC to get these reholder and cgc offers a grading credit for the fees. Really? With subpar , unacceptable service we need to pay return shipping and that is your answer? Credit to go through this all again. Plus all of the time spent on this whole process.  Which as of late has gotten WAY out of hand. With how fast you slap these garbage slabs together and how much you have been profiting you can not staff appropriately or fix the NR issue?  "It's con season!" Again let's skip the excuses.. it's not like some random event that snuck up on you. This is every year. Like anything seasonal.  Staff up for it.   Truly to be considered the top and really only grading service for a multi billion dollar industry you sure are not living up to that moniker..  It is time for a change..

I agree with most of this but I don't know that it's a matter of the rank & file guys not taking pride in their work. I'm sure they work very hard with the heavy workload they deal with everyday. I would blame management for maybe employing new materials and or machinery that was not quite ready for prime time for the new slabs. That wouldn't be the worker's fault. 

You are right in that with all the new business they're getting with all these crossover subs and increased market share on top of what they already had as top grading company they should bulk up staff to adequately meet new demand. Doesn't seem like they're doing that considering the turn around times. A reholder takes a month if you're lucky.

Do better cgc!

19 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I agree with most of this but I don't know that it's a matter of the rank & file guys not taking pride in their work. I'm sure they work very hard with the heavy workload they deal with everyday. I would blame management for maybe employing new materials and or machinery that was not quite ready for prime time for the new slabs. That wouldn't be the worker's fault. 

You are right in that with all the new business they're getting with all these crossover subs and increased market share on top of what they already had as top grading company they should bulk up staff to adequately meet new demand. Doesn't seem like they're doing that considering the turn around times. A reholder takes a month if you're lucky.

Do better cgc!

IMO, this isn’t about rank & file guys or TATs, it’s about a periodic headache that is unpredictable and often missed by QC (it may not even show up until passing QC).  It keeps coming back because in all likelihood no permanent fix to the cause of the NR problem can be achieved with the current holder design, ...and I suspect that it won’t be addressed until there’s another redesign of the holder.  My suspicion is that this will depend on how much loss of business trust CGC is willing to incur during the necessary downtime required to retool a design that fixes existing NR issues to an acceptable level to meet customer demands, ...(minimum customer expectations).  Right bow CGC is apparently willing to accept a certain percentage of customer dissatisfaction because it doesn’t cut too deeply into the bottom line.  Reholders for those who can’t tolerate NR are still a minority nuisance and the increased TATs probably make resubbers think twice.  Only if these numbers change dramatically will there be a whole new ball game.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:49 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

IMO, this isn’t about rank & file guys or TATs, it’s about a periodic headache that is unpredictable and often missed by QC (it may not even show up until passing QC).  It keeps coming back because in all likelihood no permanent fix to the cause of the NR problem can be achieved with the current holder design, ...and I suspect that it won’t be addressed until there’s another redesign of the holder.  My suspicion is that this will depend on how much loss of business trust CGC is willing to incur during the necessary downtime required to retool a design that fixes existing NR issues to an acceptable level to meet customer demands, ...(minimum customer expectations).  Right bow CGC is apparently willing to accept a certain percentage of customer dissatisfaction because it doesn’t cut too deeply into the bottom line.  Reholders for those who can’t tolerate NR are still a minority nuisance and the increased TATs probably make resubbers think twice.  Only if these numbers change dramatically will there be a whole new ball game.

Nailed it on the head here. This is how business decisions are made. If it isn't affecting the bottom line and only a small amount of customers complain and want re-holdering then nothing will change. Judging from the amount of posts in here in comparison to the number of books they grade I would say it probably is a small percentage and perhaps many people accept the first answer they give that some NR are expected.

I just received an order of comics back on 7/11/19, that 2 out of 7 cases had The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” on the cgc case.  Do I send these back to get re-cased and assume they will receive the same grade?  I am not satisfied with this as it effects the appearance of the comic.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Valueguy Comics said:

I just received an order of comics back on 7/11/19, that 2 out of 7 cases had The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” on the cgc case.  Do I send these back to get re-cased and assume they will receive the same grade?  I am not satisfied with this as it effects the appearance of the comic.  Thoughts?

You'll get the same grade if you send them back. Having zero NRs is probably too much to hope for, unfortunately. But if you feel the NRs are seriously degrading the look of the books, you should contact them and arrange to send them back. I've had mixed results. Typically they're better than they were, but most still have a stray NR or two or three or ...

On 6/30/2019 at 2:02 PM, John RxB said:

Anyone else tried the compressed air for Newton Rings?
Anyone tried the other air blower above?
Would appreciate Your opinions.
Haven't had any newton Ring problems myself on less than 50 Books.

Bumping this to check for any feedback on this technique.

Anything from anyone?

Edited by MGsimba77

i would just use the backing board method since they're all on the front...

doesn't really excuse the newton rings, but that is what this thread is used for and beats sending them back....