• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Rodney ODell said:

I will send them back every time. If they have to keep dealing with it maybe they will change the process. If we don't send them back then what incentive do they have to fix the issues?

Spot on.

Name me any other product that you would buy and accept if you found it to be faulty? I don't get this 'putting up with it' nonsense. 

19 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

i would just use the backing board method since they're all on the front...

doesn't really excuse the newton rings, but that is what this thread is used for and beats sending them back....

Unfortunately I've discovered a couple of times it doesn't fully get rid of the really deep rings. When you initially insert the board the rings that are near by clear but the deeper ones gradually return as you remove the board from the holder. It does work on the lighter rings and the blotches that look like oil slicks. There's also the holders that don't have inner wells where the board may leave streaks. 

These limitations are why I asked about the compressed air. I haven't mustered the courage 

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Spot on.

Name me any other product that you would buy and accept if you found it to be faulty? I don't get this 'putting up with it' nonsense. 

I don't understand why there's a level of acceptance to the problem and why so many people just shrug their shoulders about it.  The pressure should be on CGC to fix the problem and considering this is their forum, they should be here explaining themselves. 

48 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I don't understand why there's a level of acceptance to the problem and why so many people just shrug their shoulders about it.  The pressure should be on CGC to fix the problem and considering this is their forum, they should be here explaining themselves. 

They don't have time.  They are too busy grading books.  

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

They have done. They said they're 'normal and acceptable'. Except when they're not, in which case you can get them redone with no guarantee of success. And they determine when they move from 'normal and acceptable' to not normal and acceptable. Not you. 

It's up to you to decide if that's a service you want to pay for. 

All my good will has evaporated. I won't be submitting, much as I would have liked to. I'm 100% certain that that won't concern anyone there or here. 

Time to move on.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

They don't have time.  They are too busy grading books.  

If they don't employ enough people to grade books and maintain a high level of quality control then they need to hire more people, plain and simple. Their problem is not my problem. I will be sending them back every time. Luckily my past 2 submissions came back good but I will not hesitate to send them back to be redone.

It's inconvenient, of course, to send the back but I'm ok with it if I don't get hassled every time I get some slabs with NRs.

At first, I think I spoke to 5-6 employees that told me, "No. It is what it is. NRs are normal and acceptable." Until I finally got to Brittany.

This last batch, I kept her out of it to see if things had changed, and there was no hassle to send back.

Ok this is interesting. A member from one of the Facebook groups said he received a large submission and none of them had NR. He also said the slabs didn't have the inner well. He described them like the old tray slabs. Anyone confirm this?

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Ok this is interesting. A member from one of the Facebook groups said he received a large submission and none of them had NR. He also said the slabs didn't have the inner well. He described them like the old tray slabs. Anyone confirm this?

Very doubtful. Usually when people say that, the well is there. Just hard to see.

5 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

4 hours ago, I like pie said:

Very doubtful. Usually when people say that, the well is there. Just hard to see.

I've gotten reholders back with a mixture of slabs with the traditional inner well & others with the newer design that look like they don't have one. NRs have appeared on both.

You can notice what "I think" is the well on the newer design slabs by looking at the corners right under the label. You'll see it more clearly by holding the slab against a light. These do seem to be tighter slabs where the book is closer to the plastic leaving less room to maneuver a backing board 

19 hours ago, I like pie said:

At first, I think I spoke to 5-6 employees that told me, "No. It is what it is. NRs are normal and acceptable." Until I finally got to Brittany.

Normal? Sure, given that's what we get with the frankencase.

Acceptable? No, not at all. 

21 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

First off is “creep engine” effect as described by one collector as pressure placed on books in the first holder redesign that caused them to warp in a wavy fashion from right and left edges toward the center.  In fairness to the CGC, this was apparently corrected within months of discovery.  However, as recently as two weeks ago at SDCC I observed “creep engine” plagued books ...rare top tier GA books... that hadn’t been resubmitted.  These were high grade books and I fear they’ve been permanently damaged by the warpage. :frown:

Thanks for your input! 

Curious about the creep engine effect on the first redesign holders you mentioned. I mean it would seem like wavy warping and NRs kind of sound similar. How does someone tell the difference? I think I've had a couple of those first redesign new holders that I sold but not sure? They were 100% clear though.

I have a few with stubborn NRs that I'd resubmit in a second if I knew they were the "creep engine" holders you indicated

Small update

I got 4 back today & yesterday. 2 yesterday were all clear. The 2 today had moderately deep NRs. 

Was able go get rid of "most" of them with some painstakingly careful backing board maneuvering. Particularly with the asm 28 dark cover signature.  

Positive thing was the tat was much shorter for these 2 submissions. Just about 13 and 6 days from reception for both 

Edited by MGsimba77

Just got this back today after sending in for a re-holder. My old case cracked after dropping it and I actually re-joined in order to send this is. This is my first new case and I have to say, I miss the old cases. Never had this happen to any of my cases after many past submissions. Anyway I was wondering what the backboard method is that people keep mentioning on this board and if it works on these new cases and also if CGC will reimburse shipping for customers sending these back for a new case. Definitely worried about sending in my bigger keys now after this experience. Too bad. :frown:

IMG_6047.thumb.JPG.f3cac46c4eaf31ac17a622c74ebab7dc.JPGIMG_6038.thumb.JPG.5f096a805c217244df7cc397c1396031.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

On 8/6/2019 at 3:43 PM, I like pie said:

The books that had NRs that I received on 7/29, were received back to CGC on 8/1 for reholders.

They are being shipped back to me today:wishluck:

Did they cover shipping?