• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Small update

I got 4 back today & yesterday. 2 yesterday were all clear. The 2 today had moderately deep NRs. 

Was able go get rid of "most" of them with some painstakingly careful backing board maneuvering. Particularly with the asm 28 dark cover signature.  

Positive thing was the tat was much shorter for these 2 submissions. Just about 13 and 6 days from reception for both 

how do you do the backing board fix described here?

3 minutes ago, Ccmp99 said:

cut a backing board 3 inches wide and leave the length of the backing board, take the slab and seperate at the bottom to slide the backing board in.... there should be a video a few pages back...

50 minutes ago, Ccmp99 said:

45 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

cut a backing board 3 inches wide

That might be too wide putting too much pressure on the holder. Maybe 1.5 or 2 inch wide may be safer. 

It might take a little while to get that bottom edge pried open enough for the board. Some holders are more tightly pressed together than others. Don't do it on the ones that don't have the inner wells that are clearly visible as the board may cause streaks. You can see the inner well on those by the corners of the book. I wouldn't expect any miracles from this. It's not getting rid of the really deep ugly rings unfortunately.

The compressed air idea with a video a few pages back looks more effective but I don't have the cojones to risk possible moisture effects. I may try the regular air blower that's not compressed air with those stubborn rings (shrug)

1 hour ago, Ccmp99 said:

if CGC will reimburse shipping for customers sending these back for a new case.

Yes they take care of all shipping costs and reholder for free but you have to submit them through Brittany M. She has an email address that you have to contact. I think @ADAMANTIUM may know the email?

I already tried this once and the nine I got back through this process 6 or 7 came back with rings just as bad as last time or just slightly better...its really frustrating the hell out of everyone. The payoff of a new holder clear of rings is great but these guys need to get their act together!

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
1 hour ago, Ccmp99 said:

if CGC will reimburse shipping for customers sending these back for a new case.

Yes they take care of all shipping costs and reholder for free but you have to submit them through Brittany M. She has an email address that you have to contact. I think @ADAMANTIUM may know the email?

I already tried this once and the nine I got back through this process 6 or 7 came back with rings just as bad as last time or just slightly better...its really frustrating the hell out of everyone. The payoff of a new holder clear of rings is great but these guys need to get their act together!

I believe Brittany McManus email is bmcmanus@cgccomics.com 

On 6/14/2019 at 3:52 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I wonder if anyone has tried something along this line to reduce or eliminate NR...

71FFFPPxzgL._SY879_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/138-1084997-2532902?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00017LSPI&pd_rd_r=e36ad270-8e74-11e9-a9b4-bb239efd09e0&pd_rd_w=H4lS1&pd_rd_wg=yQQrn&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D&psc=1&refRID=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D

Have no idea of effectiveness for this purpose, but before risking the introduction of moisture into holders well via compressed air, I'd think something more controllable might be worth a try.   Just sayin'.

These simple hand-held squeeze blowers are designed to remove dust from cameras & other delicate instruments. 

I tried this and it doesn't work because the air blast is not strong enough. Dont waste your money like I did 

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I tried this and it doesn't work because the air blast is not strong enough. Dont waste your money like I did 

Sorry to hear that.  These work great for removing dust from delicate electronics that can’t be easily accessed.

Just got back a 25 book modern submission. 10 of which have very noticeable NR :/ I've just "dealt with" a book here and there but this is my first substantial order with them present. I had 3 copies of the same book (part of the 10 submission) and ALL 3 have NR pretty bad, so it's definitely a size of the slab issue i think.  I started trying to do the board trick but couldn't bring myself to risk damaging a book or case for something that shouldn't be there to begin with.  I will email Brittany and hope for the best. 

6 hours ago, MBFan said:

What kind of respectable business hypes "superior optics" and "visual display" and then nonchalantly sticks customers with unsightly Newton Rings that diminish the optics and visual display?

One that perhaps isn't? hm

Update, Brittany sent me an email back with info on how to get a complimentary reholder service and use the online submission forms to coordinate and expedite it. It's nice they have it built into their system in a way... even if it's a pain to deal with at least they will be covered at no charge and they have a system in place. I plan to get the books sent back out to CGC here in the next few days and will keep you guys posted on the progress and (hopefully) better slabs. 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

Just because those in charge at CGC dont have pride in the product they put out doesn't mean their customers don't have pride in the collectibles they risk having obscured with ugly blotches of eye sores.

Unfortunately CGC is the only game in town which means we all have to be held hostage by this shoddy slip shot incompetence! The choices are no certification at all, a grading company that'll command lower market value or run the risk of a slab with unsightly blotches. 

Instead of trying to monopolize the market why not try and focus a little on basics CGC? Have some freaking pride!!! If it means spending money then that's what it means! 

The powers that be at CGC = :kidaround:

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just because those in charge at CGC dont have pride in the product they put out doesn't mean their customers don't have pride in the collectibles they risk having obscured with ugly blotches of eye sores.

Unfortunately CGC is the only game in town which means we all have to be held hostage by this shoddy slip shot incompetence! The choices are no certification at all, a grading company that'll command lower market value or run the risk of a slab with unsightly blotches. 

Instead of trying to monopolize the market why not try and focus a little on basics CGC? Have some freaking pride!!! If it means spending money then that's what it means! 

The powers that be at CGC = :kidaround:

You mean in Sarasota? ...Point taken.  ;)

The $64,000 question: What do collectors value more, a manipulated perception of market value or their books?

I tried the canned air and it worked temporarily. I also didnt like taking the chance of damaging the case to insert the plastic straw. After trying a few times over a few days and with the rings always coming back I e-mailed Brittany to help and she was great with providing me the info to send the book back in for what will hopefully be a clear case. I won't get my hopes up too high though after seeing all these posts. 

Edited by Ccmp99
spelling

I've lost faith in CGC, I still believe in their grading but I not longer believe in their product and quality control. They are now more focused on special labels and other marketing gimmicks like ebay grading, that I feel they have lost site of their course. 

I could go on and on but I'd just be preaching to the choir here. 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

On 8/13/2019 at 7:25 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

Update, Brittany sent me an email back with info on how to get a complimentary reholder service and use the online submission forms to coordinate and expedite it. It's nice they have it built into their system in a way... even if it's a pain to deal with at least they will be covered at no charge and they have a system in place. I plan to get the books sent back out to CGC here in the next few days and will keep you guys posted on the progress and (hopefully) better slabs. 

Reholder updates to fix Newton Rings on my 10 slabs. My first time sending back for this. 

Package received by CGC: 8/19

"Scheduled for grading": 8/20

Edited by Rhymenoceros