• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

Reholder updates to fix Newton Rings on my 10 slabs. My first time sending back for this. 

Package received by CGC: 8/19

"Scheduled for grading": 8/20

No movement yet on the free reholder for Newton Ring issues. Is it common to even go into SFG for a reholder ??

22 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:
On 9/1/2019 at 12:42 PM, wolviefrk said:

PROBLEM SOLVED LOL

newton ring OG.jpg

Newton ring removal tool.jpg

Wow, kinda like a short drain plunger.  Gotta admit, plumber's friend NR removal is an innovative strategy that never occurred to me.  hm

Something to consider though is the risk of having the inner well become loose and start moving around if this is tried too forcefully. This is actually a risk with any of the proposed solutions on this thread particularly with the slabs pressed less tightly. There are some slabs that are pressed less tightly than others as I've seen from my own 

Edited by MGsimba77

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Something to consider though is the risk of having the inner well become loose and start moving around if this is tried too forcefully. This is actually a risk with any of the proposed solutions on this thread particularly with the slabs pressed less tightly. There are some slabs that are pressed less tightly than others as I've seen from my own 

I’m pretty sure this recommendation was intended purely as a tongue in cheek jest.  

For one thing, that “CGC presents” banner ain’t gonna happen.  CGC lawyers would be apoplectic trying to come up with exceptions and disclaimers.  :ohnoez:

Naw, m’thinks this idea is in the “no fly” zone. 

Edited by Cat-Man_America

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I’m pretty sure this recommendation was intended purely as a tongue in cheek jest.  

For one thing, that “CGC presents” banner ain’t gonna happen.  CGC lawyers would be apoplectic trying to come up with exceptions and disclaimers.  :ohnoez:

Is it really any crazier than the other proposed remedies? I've even read the suggestion of cell phone pliers thrown around in this thread. 

A pair of Kaisiking Heavy Duty Suction Cups arrived today from Amazon. I haven't had much time to experiment but have taken time to test one CGC slab with a severe case of Newton Rings.

While squeezing tightly at one edge to ensure that the slab did not come apart, I attached a suction cup on the front of the slab in the top third, pulled ever-so-gently, and the Newton Rings there disappeared! Did not have the same result on the bottom two-thirds of the front. After placing the suction cup in several different places and gently pulling, it didn't do a thing down there.

It is encouraging that the suction cup helped the top half of the slab, though. Wish I'd taken photos so I could share the result with you here.

Newton Rings are apparently created by the book being too tight in the slab. If there's even a tiny bit of space between the slab, the plastic insert and the book, no Newton Rings. Too much pressure of the slab against the inner sheet creates the oily look. The suction cup worked where there was a bit of wiggle room.

CGC should fix this problem so we don't have to experiment. I have a key book for sale right now which I have price dropped several hundred dollars below the last sale price, and I believe Newton Rings are keeping buyers away.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:21 PM, I like pie said:
On 8/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, I like pie said:

The books that had NRs that I received on 7/29, were received back to CGC on 8/1 for reholders.

They are being shipped back to me today:wishluck:

Two books came back with the same rings. Round 3 was sent back to CGC yesterday:tonofbricks:

One of three came back without Newton rings. The other two came back worse. I'm done sending back for now or submitting new books.

Ridiculous.

19 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah....very Tongue and cheek. After seeing the original post about the suction cups i figured  lets take this to the next level LMAO

On 9/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, I like pie said:

One of three came back without Newton rings. The other two came back worse. I'm done sending back for now or submitting new books.

Ridiculous.

Dang.. that's just frustrating. My batch of 10 reholders for NR issues just moved to Grading/QC. Hoping for some improvements. 

I think it works on some of the NR but not all as some have mentioned but I am wondering if these rings also have to do with the quality of plastic their cases are made out of as well as the being to tight in the slab that the plastic might not be as strong and could have small/micro waves in the plastic not being as flat/flush as the rest and this why it happens on some cases and on tight books maybe its a combination of things different plastic supplier and slabs being too tight.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah, as NR’s go, the “crotch-stain” look isn’t the best optics.  hm

You can't tell in the picture but there are some Newton Rings were Superman's eyes are burning, it's very slight so it's kind of a cool optic. 

image.png.608b6f5d563768f26b84a21c666b3b9e.png

Now imagine if there were rings on his butt!

image.png.488093f1fcce8caf0714d376a304db76.png

:jokealert: