• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

Just now, I like pie said:

One thing I started doing, and I think it might help if more people did, is to ask sellers if there are any Newton Rings before purchasing.

If flippers have a hard time selling, maybe they will start complaining to CGC as well.

I was thinking the same thing last night.  

4 hours ago, DS Comics said:

Here's a new book I just acquired which was recently slabbed by the seller.  Maybe we should organize a newton ring month and no one send any books to them the whole month.  Might get their attention.

I recently called to ask what they are doing to address the problem, and received an email response.  Along with a cut and paste of the "there are acceptable levels of rings on all our holders, and library of congress says theyre fine" boilerplate , they assured me it is not a defect with their product (duh, the product isnt doing whats its supposed to, which is properly display art, so yes its defective), that its just a visual effect.  Also, they are working on a modification of their holder.  No details.  👍🤷‍♂️🤔

20190927_102938.jpg

20190927_102916.jpg

20190927_102959.jpg

Wow! Acceptable levels, really? ...Well, none would be an acceptable level for me, but an absolute minimum standard should be what is least observable to prospective buyers.  If a dealer worries that the NR is noticeable enough to impact customer interest, then that’s too much.

BTW, who gives a flip about the Library of Congress’s position on NR when the consideration is eye appeal? The LoC isn’t buying and selling books to collectors.  They’re looking at Newton Rings strictly from the viewpoint of damage to books or rather the lack thereof, ...but THAT should be the minimum expectation from any third party grading service.  Visual perception is the real elephant in the room.

Sorry, but from my perspective boiler plate disclaimers do little to encourage customer confidence.  :sorry:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Wow! Acceptable levels, really? ...Well, none would be an acceptable level for me, but an absolute minimum standard should be what is least observable to prospective buyers.  If a dealer worries that the NR is noticeable enough to impact customer interest, then that’s too much.

BTW, who gives a flip about the Library of Congress’s position on NR when the consideration is eye appeal? The LoC isn’t buying and selling books to collectors.  They’re looking at Newton Rings strictly from the viewpoint of damage to books or rather the lack thereof, ...but THAT should be the minimum expectation from any third party grading service.  Visual perception is the real elephant in the room.

Sorry, but from my perspective boiler plate disclaimers do little to encourage customer confidence.  :sorry:

It definitely sucks. A recent CLink buy had the rings. I know I could gripe about it, but what’s the good? The new slab probably won’t be any better, and there’s a risk in damage shipping it there, there’s more risk when they de-slab and re-slab  it (I had a re-slabbed book come back with a nick on the bottom cover that definitely wasn’t there before), and again there’s a risk waiting for the return (not to mention the wait itself.)

so why do I have to do all that BS, and spend my time and money for their mistakes?

it really is infuriating. 

Edited by thewritestuff

4 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

It definitely sucks. A recent CLink buy had the rings. I know I could gripe about it, but what’s the good? The new slab probably won’t be any better, and there’s a risk in damage shipping it there, there’s more risk when they de-slab and re-slab  it (I had a re-slabbed book come back with a nick on the bottom cover that definitely wasn’t there before), and again there’s a risk waiting for the return (not to mention the wait itself.)

so why do I have to do all that BS, and spend my time and money for their mistakes?

it really is infuriating. 

There's the option to have the reholder done free through Brittany McManus. I myself tried that with 9 books only to have most come back same or worse. Someone posted in the page before this one about sending 10 back for the free reholder having little success. I'm fortunate since I'm in south Florida that it's a short voyage to CGC by mail. Nonetheless there's alway a chance of a re-slabbing mishap. 

Have you tried any of the proposed solutions a few pages back? 

25 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Nonetheless there's alway a chance of a re-slabbing mishap. 

Yes, yes there is. I sent back several books through Brittany last spring. Seven of ten came back with with Newton Rings. After a second attempt, they all came back clear. But...

The books were placed in thicker holders, like what you’d find for 100 page giants, so the inner wells had room to move around. One book had SCS that resulted in a cover tear near the staple. 

8C12FA18-D866-4FEC-8D4F-6143D0CBA838.jpeg.9defc16674073d357a84fab8b6f54c08.jpeg

4964C3D8-FA07-4055-BC61-6AB56D74752E.thumb.jpeg.dfb2d7fd179417c3721bbf6c9105f8cd.jpeg

You could see the pages move as the slab was turned.

Pitiful performance CGG. 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

27 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Yes, yes there is. I sent back several books through Brittany last spring. Seven of ten came back with with Newton Rings. After a second attempt, they all came back clear. But...

The books were placed in thicker holders, like what you’d find for 100 page giants, so the inner wells had room to move around. One book had SCS that resulted in a cover tear near the staple. 

8C12FA18-D866-4FEC-8D4F-6143D0CBA838.jpeg.9defc16674073d357a84fab8b6f54c08.jpeg

4964C3D8-FA07-4055-BC61-6AB56D74752E.thumb.jpeg.dfb2d7fd179417c3721bbf6c9105f8cd.jpeg

You could see the pages move as the slab was turned.

Pitiful performance CGG. 

You cracked it out of the slab? When did you get back the second re holder back? If they use thicker slabs then it'll make storage an issue. Its tough enough to store these things as it is. It'll suck if they start using those giant size slabs. Yeah it's an irritant to have the books move around like that but could also be dangerous during the shipping. It's so...:frustrated:

Edited by MGsimba77

16 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

You cracked it out of the slab? When did you get back the second re holder back? If they use thicker slabs then it'll make storage an issue. Its tough enough to store these things as it is. It'll suck if they start using those giant size slabs. Yeah it's a irritant to have the books move around like that but could also be dangerous during the shipping. It's so...:frustrated:

I did crack it out, as I could not recall if this happened the first or second time I sent it in for a reholder, I also didn’t notice it until months later. I think I got the second re holder back sometime in May.

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

23 hours ago, I like pie said:

One thing I started doing, and I think it might help if more people did, is to ask sellers if there are any Newton Rings before purchasing.

If flippers have a hard time selling, maybe they will start complaining to CGC as well.

Unfortunately the real collectors are stuck with the same crappy product as the flippers.

Edited by thewritestuff

13 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What's the storage issue with thicker slabs? Just amount/box or something?

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

They take up more room

I agree they take up more room, the other issue is the normal case is too tight, which is why they switch to the larger, however they dont have in between sizes and regular books in these large cases is just too much and allows the books to shift. Several members who have received this work around have received blunted edges, SCS, Cover Creep or Shift, ETC... and the last thing any of us want is damage.

For the sake of the thread and because I do care :eek: figured I'd report on my 10 book value sub that I recently got back.....

Was it 10 for 10 with no "rings"? no............ but it was 9 for 10 :foryou: without Newton Rings.....

The only one that had it and it was a splotch of "clear like bubble" that would move touching the case giving an "appearance of liquid", was my Josie and the Pussycats #45 slab.....

I don't know if it is because it is in a "no color or white zone" part of the cover, but it doesn't give the rainbow effect.... I'll update with a pic of the top of the slabs, so you can compare to your own if it is the "slightly bigger case" etc. they all appeared to be the same size slab though as far as this sub, so I'll only load one pic....

Most of these were SA books and a couple of Bronze :) I'm happy, I'm hoping they're still working on fixes! And I hope any of this helps.....

20191001_215628.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't understand why this slab/process ever even went into production out of the test environment.  I sure don't understand why CGC isn't addressing this.  This has been going on for so long now...  Just got my Marvel Spotlight 28 back today.  Guess what...  And it has plenty of friends.  Ugh