• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bmalone said:

I have a bunch of books currently being reholdered due to the Newton issue.  The status on them has been "scheduled for grading" for four months now.  Is this really the current wait time on reholders?  Ridiculous!

No. Reholders should be done in 2 weeks. You should call them.

I called today and the guy on the phone said reholders are currently at 20 business days, so mine somehow slipped through the cracks.  They were able to find my submission and push it through though, and it looks like it shipped out a few hours ago.

Hopefully no rings this time!

36 minutes ago, DS Comics said:

They told me to write "ME" on any such reholder submissions for mechanical error and it would be expedited. 🤷‍♂️

Good to know, and I guess it can't hurt, but wouldn't they see the invoice which should say "mechanical" on it?

50 minutes ago, bmalone said:

Good to know, and I guess it can't hurt, but wouldn't they see the invoice which should say "mechanical" on it?

Yeah, whenever they open the box.  But they get backed up sometimes and have a 2-week backlog on boxes so it might not get opened right away.  If it says ME on it they will open it right away....same with express and walk-thru, I write EX and WK on those and they get opened and logged right away.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, Ride the Tiger said:
On 10/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

So I e-mailed CGC a while back about the newton rings but was told they weren't bad enough for CGC to give me a reholder. While they aren't as bad as some of the books shown in Marwoods thread they are still bad enough that I can't in good conscience sell them without alerting the potential buyer first. I certainly wouldn't buy these books from someone so am I stuck with them because of the time frame involved? I have since gotten another book back which is pictured in the original NR thread. It has No NR. No scratches. It is what I expect from the company that leads the comic grading industry. So do I have to settle for the 3 ugly books I subbed only a few months before my ":fixed" book?

So I e-mailed CGC a while back about the newton rings but was told they weren't bad enough for CGC to give me a reholder. While they aren't as bad as some of the books shown in Marwoods thread they are still bad enough that I can't in good conscience sell them without alerting the potential buyer first. I certainly wouldn't buy these books from someone so am I stuck with them because of the time frame involved? I have since gotten another book back which is pictured in the original NR thread. It has No NR. No scratches. It is what I expect from the company that leads the comic grading industry. So do I have to settle for the 3 ugly books I subbed only a few months before my ":fixed" book?

On 10/14/2018 at 10:50 AM, 35CentEra said:

"Ride the Tiger"

Given the contents of the first post in this thread that seems to be  incongruous customer service with CGCs statement.

BTW Brittany and folks, The 14 day policy is rather stingy given the shipping time itself of the books reaching the customer can be 5-7 days depending on time of year, distance etc...Is there no room or interest in your business model for a more realistic 21 days and the increased customer satisfaction it would yield?

Data point:

Just got ten books back from reholdering for rings after calling on Friday wondering why it was taking so long.  (See a few posts above)

All ten appear to be Newton-free except a tiny spot on one.  One of them did come back with a nice scratch on the case, which is going to drive me nuts, and another that has a crumb or something in the case.  I'm going to reach out and see if I can send these back in, but am almost afraid they will come back with the Newtons again. 

Thanks to Brittany for all the quick email responses, and getting these taken care of for me.

Edited by bmalone

As PR campaigns go, this one is pretty lame. A clear case should display books without distortion, ...period, ...end of story.. That seems to be pretty basic to me, ...a minimum standard.  

Setting the bar lower, to one of “it does no damage” is a defensive posture.  This defeats one of the three principle reasons collectors submit books for encapsulating, ...display.  Another reason to holder books is trusted third party grading.  But if the “oil slick” appearance makes books less attractive for resale, it diminishes trust.  That part of the argument ...the one taken from a dealer’s perspective... takes away two of the three primary rationales for grading.

The only other value added by encapsulation is protection.  Holders provide more dependable protection than Mylar with backing boards, but denies access to books, adding weight while limiting space.  So, when push comes to shove, it’s pretty much an even trade off.

Sorry, didn’t mean for this to turn into a lengthy post (it’s still a lot shorter than most of mine), ...there are already plenty of substantive musings on the NR topic.  

Guess I imbibed a bit too much caffeine today.   :insane: 

"Newton Rings are caused by an interference pattern" What a load of BS. Even PGX holders look better than CGCs and that's the ugly truth of it. Don't see them on CBCS slabs either. Why? What are they doing right? Maybe call them. Pretty sad a guy running a business out of his basement can make his slabs look better than our companies. Oh wait though we have those cool Spider-man stickers on our slabs. What a joke.