• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Transplant said:

Now that we've had Newton Rings for a while, anyone seeing any long term damage to books that are slabbed with Newton Rings?

I picture you twirling your Snidely Whiplash mustache while you say this.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, seanfingh said:

I picture you twirling your Snidely Whiplash mustache while you say this.

Only the finest moustache wax for a post this fine.

Pin on Beards and mustaches

On 8/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, milk_man said:

Another day, another reholder returned with newton rings and hundreds of scratches. How is this still acceptable? Nearly half my collection can't be presented properly and paying them to fix their mistake is a die roll in shipping costs.

Isn't CGC sending you shipping labels?

Edited by Keys_Collector

On 8/10/2020 at 10:01 AM, Keys_Collector said:

Do they do this?!  I was always given a "credit" whenever they needed to cover my costs.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, Keys_Collector said:

No? I've never heard of CGC covering shipping costs for anything. I'm Canadian so shipping is the main reason I can't get my collection fixed. To properly ship and insure ~30 slabs worth $15k+ is really hard. Shipping companies have a limit of $2k insurance coverage so I'd have to send half a dozen separate packages, each costing $40 down and $40 back since CGC refuses to combine lots. Even if they miraculously waived dozens of reholder fees, I'd still be out hundreds of dollars to hopefully have fewer rings. Thus far i've had multiple reholders return with rings (like this one) so it was money well wasted.

Edited by milk_man

Question about reholdering - 

Ive seen several here say the way to remove newton rings is to push a backer board between the outer and inner well. I have done this and it looks better as the newton rings are much less. However, this caused light scratches to either the outer and/or inner well. Still not ideal. If I decide I want to have said book reholdered will this scratching to the inside of the holder cause CGC to refuse my reholder request and instead require that the book be regraded? Ive seen in another post from CGC that if the book "has been damaged inside the case" it would require a regrade. The book is definitely not damaged but they may consider this tampering?

On 9/17/2020 at 5:23 AM, Candlewood87 said:

Question about reholdering - 

Ive seen several here say the way to remove newton rings is to push a backer board between the outer and inner well. I have done this and it looks better as the newton rings are much less. However, this caused light scratches to either the outer and/or inner well. Still not ideal. If I decide I want to have said book reholdered will this scratching to the inside of the holder cause CGC to refuse my reholder request and instead require that the book be regraded? Ive seen in another post from CGC that if the book "has been damaged inside the case" it would require a regrade. The book is definitely not damaged but they may consider this tampering?

On 9/17/2020 at 8:00 AM, comicdonna said:

No

lol it's their 1st post, give them a notification :roflmao:  :makepoint: @Candlewood87 I agree it "shouldn't" :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, Keys_Collector said:

Haven't seen a lot of action lately here but just got a single book back yesterday and it's pretty bad.  

IMG_0015.jpg

there is no excuse for that. how long has it been that people have been complaining about this and nothing has been done.