Newton Rings
18 18

356 posts in this topic

5,358 posts
4 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Hello. I just received my first ever batch of slabbed comics from CGC. They look beautiful and I see zero Newton rings. 

I have a couple questions. I'm sure these questions have been asked before in this topic, but I notice there are hundreds of posts here and I don't have time to go through all the posts.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1- My slabs have no rings now. Can they appear later on? And if so......

2- Is there a way to store the slabs in order to prevent or prolong the appearance of Newton rings? 

I don't think there's an answer to your first question yet. They modified the cases to prevent NR's but on the older ones, I did have a few where they got slightly worse over time. No idea why though.

I'm in Chicago, so it's humid in the summer/bitter cold in the winter(shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,722 posts

Just sold this one on eBay  nice Tick 1.  Buyer was not happy after receiving book asking me if water or moisture spilled on front. Messaged him back with a hearty caveat emptor and a link to this thread. He messaged me all good after some reading. The”rings” can look real bad on black books.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292990475889?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,345 posts

About 12 years or so ago, I won Marvels #1 through #4 CGC 9.8 in a Grails game.  I was looking at them a year later and noticed this oily film moving around in at least one of the slabs.  For a little while, I thought I had ruined them.  Pure panic!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,807 posts
12 hours ago, WarZoneSpider said:

Just got this back from cgc. They told me that it was an “acceptable” amount of newton rings. They said they would reholder it at my expense. Wow. Its literally all over the front of the book. The problem obviously isnt solved. 

371C3403-1F43-4D34-A23A-DB1E5EE3E7B0.jpeg

6B7483B7-19C7-4AB9-84BC-5D4D7B9BEA31.jpeg

Ouch!  Did you show them these photos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,807 posts
5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
13 hours ago, WarZoneSpider said:

Just got this back from cgc. They told me that it was an “acceptable” amount of newton rings. They said they would reholder it at my expense. Wow. Its literally all over the front of the book. The problem obviously isnt solved. 

371C3403-1F43-4D34-A23A-DB1E5EE3E7B0.jpeg

 

At least Matt can't see them. Murdock I mean, not Nelson. 

:baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,634 posts
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

:baiting:

What! 

If I was WarZoneSpider I'd give em a ring. I mean fair's fair, they've given him enough of them :shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 posts

They said it was an “acceptable” amount, but then I contacted Brittany and I’m sending it back to her for a reholder. Everyone else acted like I was crazy. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,634 posts
2 minutes ago, WarZoneSpider said:

They said it was an “acceptable” amount, but then I contacted Brittany and I’m sending it back to her for a reholder. Everyone else acted like I was crazy. Lol

They'd be lost without her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 posts
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Ouch!  Did you show them these photos?

Yeah I did. They said it was an acceptable amount.  I contacted the wonderful Brittany though and she’s going to take care of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233 posts

Purchased this one this week. I t showed up with a ton of this effect as well as a hair inside (a long hair) the inner well. The whole cover has the Newton ring effect with the exception of where the hair runs across the book. Would CGC do anything about this?

IMG_20190424_160038216~2.jpg

IMG_20190424_160307727~2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,634 posts
53 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Purchased this one this week. I t showed up with a ton of this effect as well as a hair inside (a long hair) the inner well. The whole cover has the Newton ring effect with the exception of where the hair runs across the book. Would CGC do anything about this?

IMG_20190424_160038216~2.jpg

IMG_20190424_160307727~2.jpg

Put a greyhound in there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233 posts
11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Put a greyhound in there? 

Funny. We used to raise Greyhounds. (Long ago) Now that Florida has eliminated Greyhound racing we have to do something will all of them. Why not send them to CGC  as that hair is the only place on the cover without the Newton ring effect. So as absurd as that sounded you may be on to something.. maybe that's what they meant by they fixed the issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,634 posts
Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Funny. We used to raise Greyhounds. (Long ago) Now that Florida has eliminated Greyhound racing we have to do something will all of them. Why not send them to CGC  as that hair is the only place on the cover without the Newton ring effect. So as absurd as that sounded you may be on to something.. maybe that's what they meant by they fixed the issue!

It's the only way to defeat the rings. Hairy covers. I've seen them. It's the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233 posts
Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

It's the only way to defeat the rings. Hairy covers. I've seen them. It's the future.

Maybe we are just splitting hairs here , but your right it definitely was my future.. I just didn't know it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233 posts
Posted (edited)

Depending on who's it is it might go for a premium.. plus they said they don't encapsulate other items with the books.. better list this one as a one of a kind error..

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Misspelled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
18 18