Newton Rings
18 18

356 posts in this topic

41 posts

Got 4 back today, they all have it a little, but this (PPSSM 90) is the worst -- the black on black is definitely showing it badly.

 

 

IMG_1269.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,373 posts

I don't recall a time that the new holders were ever free of NR issues.  The problem appears to be inherent in the plastics making contact combined with added internal pressure on the holdered book.  The old holders occasionally did have issues with moire patterns ...often due to inner sleeve pucker... that presented as rainbow streaks, but these never left the impression of damage to the encapsulated book.  

The new holders are another matter.  New holders display plastic contact as random oily splotchiness that leaves the impression of water stains on the cover.   CGC reps can argue all day about how this has no impact on the actual condition of the encapsulated book, but the impression is what it is, and when pervasive the oily appearance can seriously impede desirability to own the holdered book.

I have no idea why there has been a resurgence in NR cases, but the problem obviously hasn't been fully resolved. Just sayin'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,031 posts
On 5/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Crops068 said:

Here is to hoping this is resolved when I get stuff back in 3-5 months!

Going fast track with Voldy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
465 posts
5 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Going fast track with Voldy?

Hell no.  I will stay where ever Brittany is.  She will take care of any issues that arise I am absolutely positive of that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,373 posts
5 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Hell no.  I will stay where ever Brittany is.  She will take care of any issues that arise I am absolutely positive of that. :)

FYI, I don't think CGC will redo holders for NR on books that had a stained appearance before they were encapsulated.  :gossip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326 posts

I had some come back in Dec/Jan that had minor NR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119 posts
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Dangercow said:

NR throughout most of the cover.

 

Let's see the results when you try what I showed in the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 posts

Good news on my 16 book order with NRs, customer service replied and they will be reholdering all the books. Nice.

Might take a while but I'm in no hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
22 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Let's see the results when you try what I showed in the video.

I have yet to try sliding the backer in, but was able to separate the front from the back quite easily as I was passing by it last night - more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
Posted (edited)

Did as described in the video (was not concerned about preserving the case, made some noises but it is held together well, quite a tough case...not to worry), but now I have these streaks.  Some of the NR's came back within a few minutes along the edges where I didn't swipe completely with the backing board.

I dunno, it's kind of an improvement but the streaks look terrible; I'm not sure what's worse.

 

I'll try again later with a different board, maybe there was some on this board (very possible, I just grabbed a random one out of a pile of used ones - maybe a brand-new one would have been a better bet.  I will update if I feel that a new one was better).

As it stands, I don't recommend the idea as NR's would be easier to explain than all of these streaks I have now.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

Edited by Dangercow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,243 posts
1 hour ago, Dangercow said:

Did as described in the video (was not concerned about preserving the case, made some noises but it is held together well, quite a tough case...not to worry), but now I have these streaks.  Some of the NR's came back within a few minutes along the edges where I didn't swipe completely with the backing board.

I dunno, it's kind of an improvement but the streaks look now; I'm not sure what's worse.

 

I'll try again later with a different board, maybe there was some on this board (very possible, I just grabbed a random one out of a pile of used ones - maybe a brand-new one would have been a better bet.  I will update if I feel that a new one was better).

As it stands, I don't recommend the idea as NR's would be easier to explain than all of these streaks I have now.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

Are the streaks tiny scratches?  I've noticed that if you wipe something away on the new cases you can leave tiny marks that are I guess scratches...especially if the case is brand new.  I'd rather have NR than that so I just try not to clean them if they have stuff on them (when they're so dang shiny and new it's best to leave them that way) 2c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Are the streaks tiny scratches?  I've noticed that if you wipe something away on the new cases you can leave tiny marks that are I guess scratches...especially if the case is brand new.  I'd rather have NR than that so I just try not to clean them if they have stuff on them (when they're so dang shiny and new it's best to leave them that way) 2c

Yes it was a test with a case I don't value (shame as it's a beautiful cover).  I'm very disappointed with CGC; it's not their fault i marked up the inside of my case, thats on me - but shame on them - from here on out I'm not buying CGC comics (I have 20+ CGC slabbed comics [not a lot, i understand...], but all of my recent slabs have NR's of varying degrees - my purchasing them only adds to this problem).

 

 

Shame on you CGC

 

 

 

Edited by Dangercow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
Posted (edited)

...I've attached a photo of the west-wall in my room to show I'm not a comic-flipper or hack, I've been in this hobby since 1983.  I'm purchasing for my PC.  The comics on the wall in the photo below are not for sale; those within the Canadian Variant years are Canadian Variants I bought as a kid at the gas station.

I'm done with CGC.  That's just me, but how long can this go on for?  First-world problem, certainly, but our business keeps CGC from not addressing the problem.  Our hobby is all about incremental degrees of quality; yet we allow CGC to ignore our wishes while claiming "Superior Optics" - superior to what?  That's their MISSION STATEMENT - Superior Optics!  Pfft - Shame on you CGC - or is it shame on us?

IMG_3692 (3).JPG

Edited by Dangercow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
Posted (edited)

Does CGC even read these posts?  We are all, within this thread, so critical of them, and a response is never posted?  Am I wrong?

 

Shame on you CGC

 

#shameonyoucgc

 

 

Edited by Dangercow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts
Posted (edited)

Here is a picture of the North-wall in my room - the older CGC's shown there are largely NR free (like the yellow-label X-23 #1 variant; the Campbell ASM run); yet the slabs from the last few years show some to a lot of "oil-stains" (Campbell "All-New", X-23 SDCC) - again, shame on me for continually buying into CGC's low-end product.

 

Until there is an announcement and a change, I'll not buy another CGC slabbed book.  I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm buying for display purposesin my PC, so I want to see "SUPERIOR OPTICS".

h.JPG

Edited by Dangercow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts
10 hours ago, Dangercow said:

Here is a picture of the North-wall in my room - the older CGC's shown there are largely NR free (like the yellow-label X-23 #1 variant; the Campbell ASM run); yet the slabs from the last few years show some to a lot of "oil-stains" (Campbell "All-New", X-23 SDCC) - again, shame on me for continually buying into CGC's low-end product.

 

Until there is an announcement and a change, I'll not buy another CGC slabbed book.  I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm buying for display purposesin my PC, so I want to see "SUPERIOR OPTICS".

h.JPG

That is one seriously nice room. Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,031 posts

My optically challenged books have been reholdered and are on their way. Keeping fingers crossed. :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
18 18