• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

it might be worthwhile researching what's available to you before committing more books to third party grading.  

Unfortunately anything graded by a non CGC grader would not command equal value on the open market most of the time. People have to consider market value. That's what I mean by serious competition. The consumer (us) loses when options are limited. We either have to put up with these awful looking slabs or take time out of our day subjecting them to some homemade backing board solution. I'll take the time to do it so it's not a big thing with me but it shouldn't be necessary. Why is it that complicated for CGC to figure out how to produce a clear slab? 

Maybe I just got lucky or looked over them too quick, but I just got back 31 comics and didn't notice any Newton rings. Especially none like the ones shown earlier in the thread where you could see from a mile away.

*After scanning a few I did notice most if not all were using the inner tray.

MMPR0_CGC_9.8_WhiteHelmet.thumb.jpg.cfa799e2c89003338981ea72b054c0fd.jpgMMPR30_CGC_9.8_LordDrakkon.thumb.jpg.1769949509fae0228a3fd1da3472bfea.jpgMMPR25_CGC_9.8_Saba.thumb.jpg.b43470be21c050a3e91f83373bae0a65.jpg

DisneyAdventuresMMPRv4_6_CGC_9.thumb.jpg.1ef181daa9dbfddfaef03dbd154370a5.jpgSabansMMPR4_CGC_9.8_1st_WhiteRanger.thumb.jpg.f2aa901406b151b616a87a081d589b1a.jpg

15 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Unfortunately anything graded by a non CGC grader would not command equal value on the open market most of the time. People have to consider market value. That's what I mean by serious competition. The consumer (us) loses when options are limited. We either have to put up with these awful looking slabs or take time out of our day subjecting them to some homemade backing board solution. I'll take the time to do it so it's not a big thing with me but it shouldn't be necessary. Why is it that complicated for CGC to figure out how to produce a clear slab? 

This opinion seems to be held by many on this forum, but having passed on a four figure high grade book at Wonder Con with serious NR, I'm pretty sure of at least one dealer who wishes he had a do-over.  

9 hours ago, jdennis3 said:

Maybe I just got lucky or looked over them too quick, but I just got back 31 comics and didn't notice any Newton rings. Especially none like the ones shown earlier in the thread where you could see from a mile away.

*After scanning a few I did notice most if not all were using the inner tray.

MMPR0_CGC_9.8_WhiteHelmet.thumb.jpg.cfa799e2c89003338981ea72b054c0fd.jpgMMPR30_CGC_9.8_LordDrakkon.thumb.jpg.1769949509fae0228a3fd1da3472bfea.jpgMMPR25_CGC_9.8_Saba.thumb.jpg.b43470be21c050a3e91f83373bae0a65.jpg

Dang, those covers are really nice.

As promised...a new video on a way to eliminate Newton Rings using compressed air. Using the cardboard insert was fine for most books but some were SOOO tight that they were leaving the micro scratches.

This seems to help quite a bit..as you can see I had a LOT of NR on the book I used in the video. Since doing the video I've done a few more and the NR are completely gone on some of them. The tighter the slab the more you have to use...and you do need to angle the blast a bit on the sides.

PSA - DO NOT SPRAY THE AIR IN UPSIDE DOWN - As we all know when you turn a can of compressed air upside down you do get super-cooled air that has moisture in it.

Hope this helps some of you!!

5 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

As promised...a new video on a way to eliminate Newton Rings using compressed air.

CGC should send out a can with every submission.

Is it possible for the air stream to get into the inner well?

1 hour ago, Kevlar said:

As promised...a new video on a way to eliminate Newton Rings using compressed air. Using the cardboard insert was fine for most books but some were SOOO tight that they were leaving the micro scratches.

This seems to help quite a bit..as you can see I had a LOT of NR on the book I used in the video. Since doing the video I've done a few more and the NR are completely gone on some of them. The tighter the slab the more you have to use...and you do need to angle the blast a bit on the sides.

PSA - DO NOT SPRAY THE AIR IN UPSIDE DOWN - As we all know when you turn a can of compressed air upside down you do get super-cooled air that has moisture in it.

Seeing this is fantastic, @Kevlar

Also glad to see they are short bursts, I think that is also very important to point out.  As with turning canned air upside down, prolonged bursts also produces moisture.

17 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

What chemicals are in that can? Could this compromise the case or comic?

I think the comic is inside of a second archival bag so I'm thinking it will probably not hurt it but not 100% sure...

4 hours ago, Rodney ODell said:

I think the comic is inside of a second archival bag so I'm thinking it will probably not hurt it but not 100% sure...

I’d be surprised if there’s an “archival bag” involved as the discontinuation of the Barex material was part of the rationale used in redesigning the holder without an inner envelope.  

My understanding of how the holder was developed, initially CGC spot-welded Mylar sheets to the inner well, but this proved problematic, contributing to both NR and a particular kind of pressure on the sides of encapsulated books often referred to as “creep engine” effect.  What CGC is now using (if anything) ...beyond pressure in the inner well... is unknown to me. 

If nothing besides increased well pressure is holding books in place, then I’d be very careful about spraying anything into the inner well.  Compressed air contains a chemical refrigerant and the risk of moisture damage to paper can’t be overstated.  It’s worth noting that no one from CGC has officially endorsed this technique for NR removal.  The sound of crickets speaks volumes and can occasionally be as informative as legal disclaimers.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Kevlar said:

I wonder if anyone has tried something along this line to reduce or eliminate NR...

71FFFPPxzgL._SY879_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/138-1084997-2532902?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00017LSPI&pd_rd_r=e36ad270-8e74-11e9-a9b4-bb239efd09e0&pd_rd_w=H4lS1&pd_rd_wg=yQQrn&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D&psc=1&refRID=PTTT7HGBPQGGDH96DQ2D

Have no idea of effectiveness for this purpose, but before risking the introduction of moisture into holders well via compressed air, I'd think something more controllable might be worth a try.   Just sayin'.

These simple hand-held squeeze blowers are designed to remove dust from cameras & other delicate instruments. 

3 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Here's my opinion about CGC's newton ring problem.

Spoiler Alert...it's not one of my favorite things.  :D  :sumo:

Ah, the only thing missing from this video presentation is copyright free background music, perhaps provided by a calliope or organ-grinder.  (thumbsu

On 6/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I got a 5 book reholder submission back today all came back totally free of NRs! Its looking like it's hit & miss with these NR issues. The last batch was terrible...

Nevertheless I got lucky here so I'll drink to that :tink:

Not that I’m nosy or anything. . . Why did you reholder? Were the cases dinged up? Or did you want to replace the microchamber paper? Or were you looking for a reholder review?

reason I ask is I just picked up a book that had been certified in 2004, and I’m wondering if I should reholder

in a way, I like the old certification because books weren’t getting pressed back then, but I’ve heard some of the older capsules aren’t as good as the ones now

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost