• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

Well this thread definitely answered all my questions about NR except a couple...

CGC started this topic in October 2018 and said they were working on improvements in the coming months, now it's more than 2 years later, what "improvements" have been made?

Should new members like myself, who is likely only a week or two away from getting a premium membership, hold off for a bit?

On 2/8/2021 at 2:13 AM, HotKey said:

Well this thread definitely answered all my questions about NR except a couple...

CGC started this topic in October 2018 and said they were working on improvements in the coming months, now it's more than 2 years later, what "improvements" have been made?

Should new members like myself, who is likely only a week or two away from getting a premium membership, hold off for a bit?

If you wait too long, the competition may very well reverse engineer the new slabs and close the gap in the newton ring technology.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:13 AM, HotKey said:

I think they have changed the slabs but without an announcement.

Slabs I have graded October 2020 have a 1/16" deeper shell space (to prevent Newtown Rings, I assume).

The inner edge or lip/flange was 3/16" but is now 2/16" thus making the inside of the shell 1/16" deeper.

You can measure it or run your finger along the inside edge.

Hey CGC!  Can you confirm please? @CGC Comics

Edited by vheflin
added summons

I should note here after a number of reholders over the past year and change that all of them have come back pitch perfect!!! I mean 1000% perfectly positioned without a single NR! No crooked misplaced books in the holder no rings, just perfect.

I want to commend CGC for having apparently gotten on top of this problem after pulling no punches in my criticism. The slabs don't appear to be any thicker than any of the others far as I can tell. The inner well looks the same as well. So just wanted to check in and give credit where its due....great job CGC (thumbsu!

On 4/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I should note here after a number of reholders over the past year and change that all of them have come back pitch perfect!!! I mean 1000% perfectly positioned without a single NR! No crooked misplaced books in the holder no rings, just perfect.

I want to commend CGC for having apparently gotten on top of this problem after pulling no punches in my criticism. The slabs don't appear to be any thicker than any of the others far as I can tell. The inner well looks the same as well. So just wanted to check in and give credit where its due....great job CGC (thumbsu!

No scuff marks?

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

No scuff marks?

No scuffs for the most part. I haven't seen any other than maybe one had a very tiny one by the edge of the slab. I'm not even sure it's a scuff mark really. I don't think I've ever seen too many scuffs if any on the new slabs. 

I didn't want to read through the whole thread, so I'll post this question.  Before I contact CGC, does anyone know if there's a time period where CGC will reholder books?  For example, if I had a few slabs with Newton Rings from one year ago, or three years ago, will they still reholder for free?  Are we talking a fee now because the 'statute of limitations ran out'?  I'm really not worried about a few slabs having NR's, but I have a couple I'm considering sending back for reholdering.  Thanks!!! (worship)

17 hours ago, Galen130 said:

I didn't want to read through the whole thread, so I'll post this question.  Before I contact CGC, does anyone know if there's a time period where CGC will reholder books?  For example, if I had a few slabs with Newton Rings from one year ago, or three years ago, will they still reholder for free?  Are we talking a fee now because the 'statute of limitations ran out'?  I'm really not worried about a few slabs having NR's, but I have a couple I'm considering sending back for reholdering.  Thanks!!! (worship)

No.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Galen130 said:

Yes. They will. I've purchased ebay slabs and they still reholder for free.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:32 PM, I like pie said:

They're back! I'm seeing a lot more over the past 6 weeks. About 150 books in. 50ish had an unacceptable amount of NRs.

this is getting out of hand with the same stuff, and no resolution to speak of.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, I like pie said:

Yes. They will. I've purchased ebay slabs and they still reholder for free.

I asked and received a message back from CS. They do not reholder books for newton ring issues if you are not the original grader, and some time has passed. 

On 1/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Yorick said:

They took care of a severe NR case for me that I had bought at auction.  I was not the submitter.  Maybe I got lucky?

No. It doesn't matter where or when you bought it. It's their product. I've never had a problem having re-holders done. Sometimes they ask for pics but never where or when I bought it.