Newton Rings
23 23

507 posts in this topic

9,650 posts
1 hour ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Same here, I won two Fantucchio, both special books. I can't get a good photo either. What really stinks in the back of the slab is crystal clear. 

  Reveal hidden contents

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.01e9726e3ec4956cab8d5cf5c4ce13ce.JPGIMG_5799.thumb.JPG.1883e9cf57ed0677ae1262ef999e019f.JPGIMG_5800.thumb.JPG.eed4201801dc9c2a77e828427cd74d4d.JPG

 

You have my sympathy.  There are really only two remedies that I can envision.  One is to crack the book out and rebag it in Mylar with a backing board keeping the grading label with the book or, perhaps the best solution, have the book cracked out professionally and reholdered by a grading service that guarantees no oily NR (that includes CGC, if they can provide that guarantee and are willing to do it at their own expense).  That's my 2 cents.

If anyone has other solutions to Brandon's dilemma, please share them.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,042 posts
11 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

You have my sympathy.  There are really only two remedies that I can envision.  One is to crack the book out and rebag it in Mylar with a backing board keeping the grading label with the book or, perhaps the best solution, have the book cracked out professionally and reholdered by a grading service that guarantees no oily NR (that includes CGC, if they can provide that guarantee and are willing to do it at their own expense).  That's my 2 cents.

If anyone has other solutions to Brandon's dilemma, please share them.  

 

What’s also funny is that all the cheap books I’ve sent in for grading have come back with little to no NRs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts
3 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Same here, I won two Fantucchio, both special books. I can't get a good photo either. What really stinks in the back of the slab is crystal clear. 

  Hide contents

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.01e9726e3ec4956cab8d5cf5c4ce13ce.JPGIMG_5799.thumb.JPG.1883e9cf57ed0677ae1262ef999e019f.JPGIMG_5800.thumb.JPG.eed4201801dc9c2a77e828427cd74d4d.JPG

 

There's a really nice comic under there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,650 posts
On 11/3/2018 at 8:34 AM, ERTO said:

He won't say anything nice about CGC because he has a severe case of butthurt and has pledged his allegiance to CBCS. One reason among many is they made him remove a CBCS slab from his Sig line and this sensitive artist couldn't cope with the ruined aesthetics.

 "butthurt"... really? Are you sure you want to go there?
 

Spoiler

 

Curious minds might like to know whether this is the esteemed wisdom of ERTO (of the low post count) or just more plaintive wailings from long suffering Stu, the grading board troll?  

Alas, if it's the latter case, we have an individual who has been banned countless times from more than one third party grading forum! If that ain't butthurt, it's gotta be a serious case of diaper rash.

But I digress!

This just can't be the same underwhelming dude who's life revolves around generating new monikers from hidden IP addresses? ...The same guy who inserts himself into discussions he knows little or nothing about? ...The same angry lad who stalks folks on comic book forums that are put off by his malarky? ...Could this possibly be the same pathetic self-loather who continues down an increasingly dark path until he makes a general nuisance of himself, gets caught & banned or succeeds in getting informative threads shut down?   

Rhetorical questions all, but somebody needed to pose them.

 

FTR,  I've never pledged allegiance to any company and would be disappointed to learn that this is expected here.

 

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,650 posts
1 hour ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

What’s also funny is that all the cheap books I’ve sent in for grading have come back with little to no NRs.

I find that less funny than sad & ironic. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,138 posts
48 minutes ago, namisgr said:

He should let ComicLink know (either Josh or Doug) that he's an unsatisfied customer of their last auction, and that the Newton Ring problem will limit the frequency and aggressiveness of his bidding in future auctions.  If enough customers do this, perhaps it will compel one of CGCs biggest customers to threaten a reduction in business.

I like this. I believe action needs to be taken if we ever want this problem totally in the past. Yes they are currently turning out books with little to no NRs but what about everyone holding these ugly slabs in their collections? We are supposed to send in these books for reholdering on our own dime. Totally not cool IMO. If a product existed was so bad that you had to make a fix then that company just admitted there was a problem. Now why not fix all those problems?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138 posts

I'm so good I can detect newton ring without even looking at the slab. If you apply slight bend pressure from the sides and hear brittle cracking then trust me, you gots the NRs. 

Im looking for a home solution. Heating it up over the stove slightly almost makes some go away as it expands a bit but...they come right back :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 posts

My opinion on newton rings is that as long as it isn’t excessive enough to detract from the overall view of the cover, and as long as it doesn’t harm the book in any way shape or form, who cares they are kind of neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,650 posts
On 11/18/2018 at 11:23 AM, comic girl said:

My opinion on newton rings is that as long as it isn’t excessive enough to detract from the overall view of the cover, and as long as it doesn’t harm the book in any way shape or form, who cares they are kind of neat.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but I've never come across anyone before who feels that Newton Rings are "...kind of neat."  

The harm that is done is to the perception of books having oily stains.  Regardless of the degree of coverage NR spoil the pristine look of great cover art for most folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,372 posts

So what's the current opinion? Are recent submissions coming back without the splotchy Newton Rings now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts

I won some books from Heritage that appear to be newly holdered that don't have rings.  I'll look up the serial numbers and see if there is a grade date...  Perhaps this issue is resolved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts
29 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I won some books from Heritage that appear to be newly holdered that don't have rings.  I'll look up the serial numbers and see if there is a grade date...  Perhaps this issue is resolved?

Nope.  Grade date of July 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts
13 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

I have 8 books coming on Monday so fingers crossed the NRs are gone

:wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,138 posts

I received a book over a month ago and it was newton free. I have another 3 sitting in Quality Control. I'll update when I receive next week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 posts

I am surprised at how many people are so upset by the NR’s. I for one enjoy looking at my graded comics and their covers for a few minutes every once in a while and then I put them back in storage for a lengthy while. I am much more focused on the fact that they are quantified with a grade and protected. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love them or anything, I just don’t mind them. I guess I can agree that a clear case without the rings would be better.

   Anyway I’ll tell you what; anyone who wants to sell one of their key books at a slight discount because of NR please contact me for an offer. And that goes for cracked/damaged cases as well. For me It’s about the comics much more than it is about the holders! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,793 posts
9 hours ago, comic girl said:

 Anyway I’ll tell you what; anyone who wants to sell one of their key books at a slight discount because of NR please contact me for an offer. And that goes for cracked/damaged cases as well. For me It’s about the comics much more than it is about the holders! 

If that were really true, I'd think you'd crack your slabbed books out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
23 23