• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which would you cho0se

10 posts in this topic

I know this is unfair without getting to see the books but just pretend they're identical.

I'm looking at 2 Silver age Marvel books that are the exact same issue in the exact same grade(9.4), same price($1,000 'ish) and even the same page quality(OWW). They both look nearly identical so I pulled the graders notes. I have an idea which one I'd prefer but thought I'd throw the graders notes up to see what everyone else thinks.

Oh, and the books were graded within 16 months of each other.

Book 1

Left Top Front Cover Small Crease Breaks

Color Spine Small Stress Lines Breaks Color

Book 2

Bottom Back Cover Lite Shadow

Interior Lite Cover Tanning

Edited by c_mkv

Neither.  I only collect White pages.

However, IF, the book had white pages, I would go for book 1.  Normally I'd go for something where the defects were only on the back cover, but the exception would be things such as shadow and tanning.  The tanning and shadow concern me that the book has suffered humidity damage or sun exposure further damaging the paper putting it's lifespan a bit further along than it's front cover defect counter part.  Also, #1 has a better chance at getting White pages on a resub.  Since eye appeal may be winning the day with most bidders for book #2, I'd also go with #1 if the 2 books were at auction and Book #1 is trailing in bid price which might allow me to get it at a discount.

Book #1 will suffer from those same defects, even if pressed.

Book #2 will most likely look better in the holder (and notice how the grader used the phrase "Lite" shadow and "Lite" tanning to describe the defects on book #2).  

Good luck!  :wishluck: