• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone heard of this artist?

8 posts in this topic

He's been known as Samuel Clarke Hawbaker and S. Clarke Hawbaker.

Been "around" but I don't think he's been active as a professional comic book artist for many, many years.

He drew a few issues of Nomad for Marvel. 

Another notable work is Samuree 6 for Neal Adams' Continuity Comics.  That issue has quite a few Adams swipes/homages.  Not necessarily full panels but certain figures are hard to miss if you're a big Adams fan.

He drew the cover to Megaton 2 (early Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon appearance).  The cover is signed simply as "S."

I have a page, a cover and a commission in my CAF:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=S.+Clarke+Hawbaker&GCat=13344

Hey, actually that's another currently ongoing thread.

I have a couple other sketches not on CAF.

I strongly suggest that you do not commission him "remotely", only get a drawing if you're at a convention and he'll do the drawing there.

I fondly recall his work from the first few issues of Nomad in the early 90's.  I was really impressed with his art at the time, but unfortunately his output was pretty limited.  I've heard that he was slow and couldn't keep up with a monthly comic.

I own one page that he penciled from Namor Annual #1 (inked by Brian Garvey).  

NamorAnn1_54.jpg

He is a local artist from Cedar Rapids, Iowa . His art while always very well done was hampered by his perfection for detail. He was slow and that is why Marvel stopped giving him work. Lots of independant stuff and a short stint on Nomad. He pops up at local cons around here with portfolio's to sell. Nice guy