• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40Yrs is now 50Yrs!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

TOP TEN FAVORITES - Part 3

So after becoming a DC zombie and buying all their books I would have become cognizant of all the various ads for back issue dealers and would no doubt have seen mentions of fanzines or conventions in the letters page or the ads. A quick look at the ad page in the Superman 254 I posted shows ads for well know dealers Howard Rogofsky, Robert Bell and the Passaic Book Center. Also of note is an ad for Comic-Con in San Diego featuring Jack Kirby and Robert Bloch! This is literally a 1" by 2" column ad! So somewhere along the way I must have seen an ad for the Overstreet Guide because I ordered one and it arrived in the mail and then my comic world began to explode!!

tn_Overstreet1972.jpg.aceb06f208302d541dcd7da4f05d5fdc.jpg

I must have ordered this in the Fall of 1972 or early 1973 because I remember I would come home from school and as the light faded outside I would slowly read each and every page absorbing the name of every book published along with the publisher name and the dates published. New worlds opened up with the amazing data on what was then called Color Comics (later renamed Four Color Comics), EC comics information, a dizzying array of Disney publications, the early Timely line and Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel really caught my Dad's eye as he read lots and lots of Captain Marvel in the 1940's.

Now that I had the guide I was on a quest to prove to people that these comics were worth something and the guide proved it! I even did a speech in eighth grade where I explained how one would use the guide to find and price old comics! I showed the prices to my Dad who kind of harrumphed but it would prove to be important as the years progressed as I needed his help with procuring treasures in the years to come.

The value of old comics proved to be an ongoing joke between my Dad and me over the last forty-five years related to a flea market incident. We used to go the Englishtown flea market every Saturday and I would go out back in search of treasures. One day to my surprise a vendor had piles of old DC comics priced at $1 each. I mainly recall Superman books in the 20's and 30's and still remember some classic covers in those piles (Superman popping up in China, Superman in the barber chair, Superman's foot hurt by Lois' biscuit.) I shouted at my Dad, "We need to buy these!" His response remains something I have reminded him of ever since, "$1! Why those things should only cost ten cents!" We left bookless!!

That was my first Overstreet. Read the hell out it. Made me feel like an “expert” when I was hitting my places for old comics. Still have it.

55 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That was my first Overstreet. Read the hell out it. Made me feel like an “expert” when I was hitting my places for old comics. Still have it.

It would be kind of interesting to see what OSPG we started with and if we kept it.  My first was #4 and yes I still have and each year after it too.

TOP TEN FAVORITES - Part 4 - A Golden Age-ducation!

During 1972 my comics obsession had transcended reading current comics and had blossomed into wanting to understand the history of the medium. A trip to the Carnegie Library in my hometown yielded a book on the subject from the late forties that primarily covered newspaper strips. It was my first exposure to the history of the Yellow Kid and some of the other early strips. This book was published in the late forties but I cannot recall its name off hand. The last chapter covered Superman which whet my appetite for more to come. Two years later the County Library moved into town and they had a much more extensive of books and I found Seduction of the Innocent on the shelves along with all those early seventies strip reprint books which I devoured; Popeye, Buck Rogers, Toonerville Trolley, Little Orphan Annie, The Gumps (this was a fantastic strip) and Flash Gordon. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

So since the local library had little for me I was amazed to find that the local mall bookstore had a surprising collection of interesting material including pulp reprints including Doc Savage and Tarzan, the Tolkien books and lo and behold some interesting books on comics history. I submitted a list to Mom for Christmas!

I must have also got a camera for Christmas this year because I took some photos of one of my more memorable Christmas hauls. You'll note that I was reading both Superman and Dennis the Menace at this time. I still like Dennis but don't really collect him. I was also into building models and there are some real classics in there. That lunar lander model was amazing and the final touch on that one was applying gold foil to the model to simulate the heat shields on the real item. Inspiring and heady stuff for a twelve-year-old and this had a big influence on my career choices later. The photo album in this photo is actually where the photos below still sit and I pulled it off the shelf this morning. 

But the two greatest gifts in this picture were the second edition of the Steranko History of Comics and the paperback All in Color for a Dime. My Golden Age education was in full swing. I must have already had the first volume as the picture shows the second volume. I still have them both but couldn't find this morning to take a photo. I also have AICFAD and just had it autographed by Lupoff earlier this year at the Glendale paperback show. What was most astounding about the Steranko book were all the reproductions of Golden Age covers. My Dad and Uncle looked it over and told me which books they remembered having; groan! My Dad was particularly sure he had the one-shot Special Edition Comics with the image of Captain Marvel riding the rocket.

While all of this was great I still really could not afford these books as they were pricey when you were living on a quarter per week (maybe more by then) allowance plus Christmas funds and you wanted to also buy new comics to read, had models to build and a train set to keep going. And besides, in short order another major obsession would grab me and suck up any remaining change I might have. But that's the next post.

1165985900_tn_Christmas72_2.jpg.565bcb6ac858bda34af8da939c933a07.jpg2077911158_tn_Christmas72_1.jpg.81f23c69fae6ed17c366147afb276735.jpgtn_AICFDCover.jpg.391ebf0d7a29cfb83410016e7bc3eb9a.jpgtn_AICFDSignatureLupoff.jpg.9d1ae13c44320e4305fbc3023df81a17.jpg

56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Great photos and a fun thread. Brings me right back. I was building Rat Fink, superhero, cars and Monster models mostly.

finkmrgasser.jpg

finkdragnut.jpg

beatlesringomodel.jpg

spidermanmodel.jpg

Most of these models had come out when I was too young to want them. We would see them at the flea market though in later years. I didn't get the car bug until later in my high school years so the Rat Fink models weren't as popular then. Interesting story in that a classmate of mine from Art Center College bought the rights to market Big Daddy's creations back in the early nineties. I'm not sure what became of that venture.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:06 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

We used to go the Englishtown flea market every Saturday and I would go out back in search of treasures.

Great stories! I was a frequent visitor at the Englishtown auctions and remember buying pre hero Marvels from a couple of vendors. The Passaic Book Center was also another old stomping ground of mine. (thumbsu

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Most of these models had come out when I was too young to want them. We would see them at the flea market though in later years. I didn't get the car bug until later in my high school years so the Rat Fink models weren't as popular then. Interesting story in that a classmate of mine from Art Center College bought the rights to market Big Daddy's creations back in the early nineties. I'm not sure what became of that venture.

Your friend is probably rolling in dough owning Roth’s rights. Fink stuff is VERY popular with the hipster crowd out here.

I graduated from Art Center myself. Back when you could almost afford it...

On 10/12/2018 at 11:02 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Wow, you guys are a bunch of geezers...I'm only 39, and will be next year too...and the year after that...:acclaim:

But I started collecting in 1962.  I don't know how that is possible...:frown:

I remember as a kid hearing Jack Benny make this joke.  I got that he was pretending to be younger than he was, but I thought, "If you're pretending to be young, why pick an age as old as 39?"  Every year, I understand that choice more and more. :preach:

16 hours ago, Jayman said:

Great stories! I was a frequent visitor at the Englishtown auctions and remember buying pre hero Marvels from a couple of vendors. The Passaic Book Center was also another old stomping ground of mine. (thumbsu

Englishtown Auction finds and dealers will figure in a few more posts! I never got to the Passaic Book Center, wish I had.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Your friend is probably rolling in dough owning Roth’s rights. Fink stuff is VERY popular with the hipster crowd out here.

I graduated from Art Center myself. Back when you could almost afford it...

Bob, I'll have to hear about your Art Center days. Did you go to the Pasadena or LA campus?

TOP TEN FAVORITES - Part 5 - Duck Hunting and Disneys!

So at some point in 1973 or 1974 I got a subscription to The Buyer's Guide during the early years of its publication. This was in the heyday of the publication and it might even have been coming out weekly with two or three sections chockfull of ads. I remember one time being home sick with the flu for a couple of days and I actually received two copies in as many days (yes the post office has never been good!) This publication was a Godsend to anyone like me with limited funds and little to no access to sources of old books. The Englishtown, Collingswood and Columbus Flea Markets were sources of books from the fifties and sixties but books from the forties were rare birds. Additionally, the flea market dealers were starting to wise up and beginning to price the books beyond my means. I still remember seeing an All Flash 1 in a small glass case for the ungodly sum of $20; might as well have been thousands to me at the time.

The Buyer's Guide offered great possibilities though. My Overstreet Guide studying had offered up the tantalizing fact that the guy who did all those Duck stories I liked had done all these one-shots in the Color (later Four Color) series. Additionally, all of the early Disney animated films had been adapted into comics including some wild amalgamations like Thumper meets the Seven Dwarfs. I started looking and realized that for $2-3 dollars and some additional cents for postage I could have old classic books shipped to my house! The hunt was on!

Below is a shot of a bunch of the early Four Color books I picked up back then. I've upgraded most of these and they are now readers. Nothing beat the thrill of getting books like the Old Castle's Secret, Vodoo Hoodoo and Ancient Persia. Amazing stuff and in it's early original printed glory. I didn't care about the condition at this point; just get me some ducks!

tn_OldDucks.jpg.1c58c64ddc1b9329a70e85046e624337.jpg

Besides the Duck Four Colors I also amassed a pretty good collection of the movie adaptation. I got really lucky with Reluctant Dragon which I found on a blanket at the Englishtown Flea Market for ten cents or a quarter. It was my oldest book for a very long time and a fun one at that. Three Caballeros was also a great favorite along with Song of the South. I never got a copy of Snow White until just a few years ago and I am still in need of Dumbo to complete the run. This is a very underrated group of books for any discerning collector out there.

1164353207_tn_FourColot005.jpg.2af0998bf2d16face56fee556cddebdf.jpgDragon.jpg.dbe6f58be032fb43bf98b2ce7a6d5314.jpg

One last Englishtown flea market tale. It was literally the last Saturday before I turned 14 and would go to work for the remaining Saturdays of my high school life at that same auction when I came across a Barks' grail at an outside antique dealer. There in front of me was a copy of Uncle Scrooge in Back to the Klondike! I overpaid for this book at $12 (bargained down from $15) but I had to have it!! I went home and loved reading this copy and it is one I have yet to upgrade! I couldn't have been happier! As hard as it was to lose my Saturday's I was able to take the money from my job and up my game now at the comic shows which was a good thing as I could be more discerning with the condition of what I bought.

UncleScrooge456.thumb.jpg.877f811db47cffb04868c49c112fcc07.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

Yeah, mail order back issue comics was a real eye opener for me too. I remember the Rocket's Blast first, then The Buyer's Guide. My passion was very early MADs. When I finished them up EC and pre-code horror books were next. Nothing like coming home to find 2 or 3 EC books in the mail box. Still is fun even today.

My local flea markets were called swap meets in those days. When I could drive I used to hit the Azuza drive in and monthly Rose Bowl shows where I often found cool old comics and toys. And, every once in a while 1940's comics too. I remember getting some early Thrilling, Speed, Marvel Mystery, Zips and others from an old guy for 50 cents apiece. Had no idea who the characters were but man they were old!

Anybody ever post an ad on a bulletin board at a market or run an ad in the newspaper? Got a few nice collections that way too. 

Collingswood! I remember buying tons of BA horror there to fill in my runs. No bags there early on and prices were written in pencil in a small corner on the back covers. Lots of Warren, Skywald and Curtis mags too. I was very friendly with the guy who ran the comic area (so long ago I sadly can't remember his name). It was inside the main building. I'd go and play the slot cars for a while then go dig through stacks of unbagged books! I bought my GS Xmen 1 at Collingswood for $80. :cloud9: Years ago I heard it burned down but has been rebuilt since. Had a great record shop there too.

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

TOP TEN FAVORITES - Part 5 - Duck Hunting and Disneys!

So at some point in 1973 or 1974 I got a subscription to The Buyer's Guide during the early years of its publication. This was in the heyday of the publication and it might even have been coming out weekly with two or three sections chockfull of ads. I remember one time being home sick with the flu for a couple of days and I actually received two copies in as many days (yes the post office has never been good!) This publication was a Godsend to anyone like me with limited funds and little to no access to sources of old books. The Englishtown, Collingswood and Columbus Flea Markets were sources of books from the fifties and sixties but books from the forties were rare birds. Additionally, the flea market dealers were starting to wise up and beginning to price the books beyond my means. I still remember seeing an All Flash 1 in a small glass case for the ungodly sum of $20; might as well have been thousands to me at the time.

The Buyer's Guide offered great possibilities though. My Overstreet Guide studying had offered up the tantalizing fact that the guy who did all those Duck stories I liked had done all these one-shots in the Color (later Four Color) series. Additionally, all of the early Disney animated films had been adapted into comics including some wild amalgamations like Thumper meets the Seven Dwarfs. I started looking and realized that for $2-3 dollars and some additional cents for postage I could have old classic books shipped to my house! The hunt was on!

Below is a shot of a bunch of the early Four Color books I picked up back then. I've upgraded most of these and they are now readers. Nothing beat the thrill of getting books like the Old Castle's Secret, Vodoo Hoodoo and Ancient Persia. Amazing stuff and in it's early original printed glory. I didn't care about the condition at this point; just get me some ducks!

tn_OldDucks.jpg.1c58c64ddc1b9329a70e85046e624337.jpg

Besides the Duck Four Colors I also amassed a pretty good collection of the movie adaptation. I got really lucky with Reluctant Dragon which I found on a blanket at the Englishtown Flea Market for ten cents or a quarter. It was my oldest book for a very long time and a fun one at that. Three Caballeros was also a great favorite along with Song of the South. I never got a copy of Snow White until just a few years ago and I am still in need of Dumbo to complete the run. This is a very underrated group of books for any discerning collector out there.

1164353207_tn_FourColot005.jpg.2af0998bf2d16face56fee556cddebdf.jpg

:applause:Love the group shots! Great stories, amazing you still have all of these!