• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request: Grader Notes for all books below 9.8
1 1

Grader notes for all books below 9.8?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC have grader notes for all books below 9.8?

• Yes
    • No

50 posts in this topic

• Administrator
15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Here's a suggestion that's been made before, but I'll make it again, in the hopes that it is instituted, because it will help CGC and its customers:

If my book grades anything less than a 9.8, I need to have notes to explain why. Nothing fancy. But if my book grades 9.6, or 9.4, or, God forbid, lower...I would like to know what triggered that for the grader(s). Why? Because when there are no notes, and I'm expecting a 9.8 (which is most of the time), I'm going to usually assume my book was improperly graded by an inexperienced grader, or harshly graded, and that book will eventually make its way back to CGC for a review at some point.

If, however, I see a note that says something like, oh, "very slight scuffing back cover" or "small color rub top staple back cover" or somesuch, consistent with a 9.6 grade, I'm much, much more inclined...even if I don't completely agree...to say "ok, that's fair, I see where you're coming from"...and you'll never see that book again, because I will have accepted your reasoning, again, even if I don't necessarily agree with the final outcome. The notes need not be fancy. Just the one or two small things that the grader(s) saw that knocked the book out of 9.8. 

After all...even if you charge me for the review, which I know you won't, because I'm a good customer who spends thousands of dollars a year with you...it's still a hassle to have to initiate a review for books that a simple note or two would have made unnecessary. And I don't think I'm alone in this regard.

If you could pass that along where appropriate, @Brittany M., it would be most appreciated.

We love hearing feedback from you guys, and although we aren't always able to answer everyone and address every issue, we try as a whole to accommodate as many requests as we get.  In speaking to that, our grading team collectively (Vintage and Modern graders) have been trying to add grading notes for books that are 9.6 or below.  Its a delicate balance to keep our turn times down, and take time to add grader's notes to books that aren't 9.8.  Some books slip through, but as whole, we've greatly increased our efforts to do this.

15 minutes ago, Brittany M. said:

We love hearing feedback from you guys, and although we aren't always able to answer everyone and address every issue, we try as a whole to accommodate as many requests as we get.  In speaking to that, our grading team collectively (Vintage and Modern graders) have been trying to add grading notes for books that are 9.6 or below.  Its a delicate balance to keep our turn times down, and take time to add grader's notes to books that aren't 9.8.  Some books slip through, but as whole, we've greatly increased our efforts to do this.

Thank you for your reply. Keep in mind, it takes a lot less time to deal with a few seconds to write a note than it does the time it takes to deal with a review, regardless of the outcome of said review. And, of course, no one's perfect, and we all make mistakes, whether I, the submitter, missed something, or the grader(s) thought too harshly of a particular flaw..Consider the time it took just to read and reply to this post, here. It adds up. It's an easy fix to add 5 cents worth of time here, to avoid paying 50 cents in time down the line (which may not be as obvious), so keep up the effort.

41 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Thank you for your reply. Keep in mind, it takes a lot less time to deal with a few seconds to write a note than it does the time it takes to deal with a review, regardless of the outcome of said review. And, of course, no one's perfect, and we all make mistakes, whether I, the submitter, missed something, or the grader(s) thought too harshly of a particular flaw..Consider the time it took just to read and reply to this post, here. It adds up. It's an easy fix to add 5 cents worth of time here, to avoid paying 50 cents in time down the line (which may not be as obvious), so keep up the effort.

RMA, regarding the review, I doubt if many customers even know about it, let alone use it. It's not a service they promote or advertise, more a courtesy for regular customers. What about prescreen rejects ? I suspect the prescreen grader does not supply notes and the book does not get passed to the graders. So, if you use prescreen, your reject books would not have notes.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

RMA, regarding the review, I doubt if many customers even know about it, let alone use it. It's not a service they promote or advertise, more a courtesy for regular customers. What about prescreen rejects ? I suspect the prescreen grader does not supply notes and the book does not get passed to the graders. So, if you use prescreen, your reject books would not have notes.

Not an issue. Pre-screened books that fail aren't slabbed, and thus, don't need notes. 

From my own anecdotal experience, it seems there has been great improvement in the quantity and quality of notes over the last few years.  I have books in 7.5 (graded 12 Mar 2016), 9.0 (graded 19 Sep 2013), 7.5 (graded 01 Feb 2016), 6.0 (graded 24 Jan 2014) and others which have no notes whatsoever, but my most recent return (graded 10 Sep 2018) had notes for every single comic, including 2x 9.8s. So, thumbs up for improvement!

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Absolutely right, BB.

57 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Highly unusual but it's nice to hear...

Hey Lion, I have a theory about the Prescreen notes maybe you can validate.  This can happen if a book passes prescreen but is rejected by a subsequent grader. Hence the book may have some grader's notes associated with it that get passed along. (shrug)

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hey Lion, I have a theory about the Prescreen notes maybe you can validate.  This can happen if a book passes prescreen but is rejected by a subsequent grader. Hence the book may have some grader's notes associated with it that get passed along. (shrug)

That makes sense, Bob. Occasionally a book will slip through the initial prescreen and be rejected later...   

16 hours ago, Robert_L said:

My last order had a failed pre-screen. There were also notes as to why as well. Could be a sign they are turning a corner?

I have done 2 prescreens this year where they were each put on 2 invoices that shipped separately... Got grader notes on 1 of the invoices on each submission...

2 minutes ago, gregwynn said:

I have done 2 prescreens this year where they were each put on 2 invoices that shipped separately... Got grader notes on 1 of the invoices on each submission...

I'm not sure I understand the details. Are you saying the rejects were shipped separately from the graded books or are you saying that you submitted your prescreen divided into 2 invoices. Please be more specific. Sorry.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:22 PM, wardevil0 said:

From my own anecdotal experience, it seems there has been great improvement in the quantity and quality of notes over the last few years.  I have books in 7.5 (graded 12 Mar 2016), 9.0 (graded 19 Sep 2013), 7.5 (graded 01 Feb 2016), 6.0 (graded 24 Jan 2014) and others which have no notes whatsoever, but my most recent return (graded 10 Sep 2018) had notes for every single comic, including 2x 9.8s. So, thumbs up for improvement!

Curious as to what kind of notes a 9.8 gets.

18 hours ago, Gaard said:

Curious as to what kind of notes a 9.8 gets.

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

They don't get notes. :baiting:

Notes on my 9.8s:

Book A: light scratches cover, light wear cover

Book B: very small bend left top of back cover, very small bend right bottom of front cover

Book A has a transparent acetate cover overlay, which shows scratches a little differently than paper.

I'd like to get a response from CGC on this as well. I submitted what I feel is a clear 9.8 for an Uncanny Xmen 266. I even submitted this for a press just to ensure the comic was without any creases or bends after extensive analyzing every inch of the book in light. The comic came back today at a 9.6 White Pages with no grader notes(SHIPPED). I understand, the smallest things can remove it from being a 9.8, but without grader notes I am rather upset. I called and spoke with a Customer Service rep who told me they are not guaranteed, and there is nothing I can do but resubmit the comic. I'd like some clarification on how my comic was a 9.6, and not a 9.8. I've submitted hundreds of books to CGC, my friends have and my clients and I have never been more confident in a book being primed for a 9.8. 

Customer Service stated they are going to look for the book before it ships and will call me(I am not holding my breath). I just do not agree with any books, when submitted for grading with a membership, not returning with small notes being so close to a 9.8. 

6 hours ago, wardevil0 said:

Notes on my 9.8s:

Book A: light scratches cover, light wear cover

Book B: very small bend left top of back cover, very small bend right bottom of front cover

Book A has a transparent acetate cover overlay, which shows scratches a little differently than paper.

Wow. I hesitate to say this but from those notes, they don't sound like 9.8's . (shrug)