• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request: Grader Notes for all books below 9.8
1 1

Grader notes for all books below 9.8?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC have grader notes for all books below 9.8?

• Yes
    • No

50 posts in this topic

The last few books sent through have come back pretty much where I expected them to. With one exception. A Jonah Hex #1 came back as a 7.5 Well below what I expected. 

Ok. no worries. Must be some hidden flaw I missed. Buy the grader notes.

"spine stress lines"

That's it.

Seriously... I expected *something* to explain why the book graded a full grade and a half below what I expected. But I paid $5 for 3 words.

I'm not saying the grade is wrong, but I am saying the notes are incomplete and pretty worthless.

Edited by KashHatton
typo

13 minutes ago, KashHatton said:

The last few books sent through have come back pretty much where I expected them to. With one exception. A Jonah Hex #1 came back as a 7.5 Well below what I expected. 

"spine stress lines"

That's it.

Seriously... I expected *something* to explain why the book graded a full grade and a half below what I expected. But I paid $5 for 3 words.

I'm not saying the grade is wrong, but I am saying the notes are incomplete and pretty worthless.

The 9.0 Rick and Morty in the same batch had more notes (and had the grade I expected)... "spine stress lines breaks color"

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I explained above somewhere how some prescreens may get notes. You have to understand the process. If a book does not pass prescreen, it does not get passed to the graders. If it does pass prescreen but gets rejected by the graders, there may be notes.

:whee: I just got grader notes on rejected prescreens.  My invoice has 15 books and 3 did not pass and the others were scheduled for grading. After the books were shipped, grader notes appeared. 1st time for me.

But my regular invoice didn't get grader notes on the 2 CGC 9.6 books.  :sorry:

On 10/29/2018 at 2:32 PM, KashHatton said:

"spine stress lines"

That's it.

Why did you have to buy the grader's notes ? They are free to the submitter.

1 hour ago, George Nussbaum said:

Grader notes are free to the submitter?  I submitted my first books to CGC and got them back last week. On the My Submissions page I don’t have any notes. Am I looking in the wrong place?

If there are any notes, there will be a hyper link in the "Grader Notes" column after you click the "Invoice No." on  the "My Submissions" page.  Most 9.6 and higher grades may not have any notes, but I believe most under that grade will.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:45 PM, Not A Clone said:

9.6 has to be the most frustrating grade, especially when there is no minor visible defect. At least on a 9.4 you get a note. (shrug) 

Here is their answer to my inquiry followed by my as of yet unanswered response:

Thank you for your inquiry. Grader notes are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available but they are not guaranteed. The graders notes are an internal means of communication between the graders and are made at the graders’ discretion. Often times there may not be any notes.   Additionally notes may not be entirely comprehensive or give a 100% accurate depiction of the defects. 

The graders notes are a complimentary benefit of membership and provided only when available. I checked the books on this submission and unfortunately no notes were listed and there is no further information I can provide on the book(s).

I apologize for any inconvenience.

On your website, https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes.aspx it does not specify the policy you stated. On this CGC web page it states "These "Grader Notes" describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did." This page explains tot he customer to expect notes. As I stated, I have received notes on all books that are not 9.8. I have submitted 60 books this year alone,

As of now I do not understand the 9.6 grade without notes. I expect to receive grader notes to better understand the 9.6 grade. Your answer is not acceptable obviously just from what your own policy states on your web page--and in contrast to your answer.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Here's a suggestion that's been made before, but I'll make it again, in the hopes that it is instituted, because it will help CGC and its customers:

If my book grades anything less than a 9.8, I need to have notes to explain why. Nothing fancy. But if my book grades 9.6, or 9.4, or, God forbid, lower...I would like to know what triggered that for the grader(s). Why? Because when there are no notes, and I'm expecting a 9.8 (which is most of the time), I'm going to usually assume my book was improperly graded by an inexperienced grader, or harshly graded, and that book will eventually make its way back to CGC for a review at some point.

If, however, I see a note that says something like, oh, "very slight scuffing back cover" or "small color rub top staple back cover" or somesuch, consistent with a 9.6 grade, I'm much, much more inclined...even if I don't completely agree...to say "ok, that's fair, I see where you're coming from"...and you'll never see that book again, because I will have accepted your reasoning, again, even if I don't necessarily agree with the final outcome. The notes need not be fancy. Just the one or two small things that the grader(s) saw that knocked the book out of 9.8. 

After all...even if you charge me for the review, which I know you won't, because I'm a good customer who spends thousands of dollars a year with you...it's still a hassle to have to initiate a review for books that a simple note or two would have made unnecessary. And I don't think I'm alone in this regard.

If you could pass that along where appropriate, @Brittany M., it would be most appreciated.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, YouFoundDonon said:

I'd like to get a response from CGC on this as well. I submitted what I feel is a clear 9.8 for an Uncanny Xmen 266. I even submitted this for a press just to ensure the comic was without any creases or bends after extensive analyzing every inch of the book in light. The comic came back today at a 9.6 White Pages with no grader notes(SHIPPED). I understand, the smallest things can remove it from being a 9.8, but without grader notes I am rather upset. I called and spoke with a Customer Service rep who told me they are not guaranteed, and there is nothing I can do but resubmit the comic. I'd like some clarification on how my comic was a 9.6, and not a 9.8. I've submitted hundreds of books to CGC, my friends have and my clients and I have never been more confident in a book being primed for a 9.8. 

Customer Service stated they are going to look for the book before it ships and will call me(I am not holding my breath). I just do not agree with any books, when submitted for grading with a membership, not returning with small notes being so close to a 9.8. 

Please do not state that you will resubmit 9.6 books without notes, because that could encourage CGC to continue with their sporadic note taking which leads to increased business for them that they themselves continue to create. This may be a harsh statement, but I am a customer that is not happy due to five 9.6 books not receiving notes, which I paid for.

And by the way, the CGC website does not state that grading notes are not guaranteed. Any customer reading their grading policy will leave thinking they will get notes. So when they say verbally not guaranteed, it contrasts with their written policy. Why is that? Why not simply state in their policy clearly that notes are not guaranteed? I can tell you why they do that, and I will not need my doctorate of business to understand their reasoning--all it takes is common sense. Customers want notes for all books under 9.8---we need to know why it is not 9.8--that is clarity. Get rid of notes and that will lead to undesirable effects to the business.