• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could my CGC book have been tampered with?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, First-time poster here.  I'm wondering if a CGC book I bought on ebay could have been tampered with.  I bought a magazine, Marvel Super Special #1 (KISS), and the edges of the case on the left and the right seem to be partially separated - very thin.  if I try to pull them apart I can slightly. The corners of the case seem solidly sealed.  I don't know how to open a case so I can't be sure whether they've somehow replaced the book with another copy.

I've never seen this with a CGC case before, and I'm concerned that I've been cheated.  The book was a 9.6 and I would grade it slightly less myself, but I'm always surprised by grades these days.  I'm wondering whether I should return it.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic.  I couldn't find an answer in the FAQs. Thanks.

you would do better to post pictures, but I think for the most part they're tamper proof.  If available in your area, go into a local comic book store and ask to see some of their CGC books, probably ones that were slabbed at least 4 years ago.  They're  a little bit open on the side too.  Or you can show your local comic book shop employee, maybe they can give you an opinion. But generally if your posts aren't broken, it should be fine. 

15 hours ago, Jim Simants said:

Hi, First-time poster here.  I'm wondering if a CGC book I bought on ebay could have been tampered with.  I bought a magazine, Marvel Super Special #1 (KISS), and the edges of the case on the left and the right seem to be partially separated - very thin.  if I try to pull them apart I can slightly. The corners of the case seem solidly sealed.  I don't know how to open a case so I can't be sure whether they've somehow replaced the book with another copy.

I've never seen this with a CGC case before, and I'm concerned that I've been cheated.  The book was a 9.6 and I would grade it slightly less myself, but I'm always surprised by grades these days.  I'm wondering whether I should return it.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic.  I couldn't find an answer in the FAQs. Thanks.

older cases before 2015 tend to be a lot thinner and the sides tend to come apart the newer cases are more tighter and snug.i got a 2014 stan-lee signed book and the case is unhinging on the sides due to age you should look into getting it reholdered if you have the time to get that done

Thank you all very much for the information.  I have many CGC books, some I submitted myself years ago, and many bought from ebay in the time since.  I have never seen this happen; I guess I've been lucky. I only have a couple of magazines slabbed, that may be why I haven't seen it. The four corners all seem very solid.  And like someone else mentioned, I've never actually seen a case cracked open.

I had problems with the seller, who sent it out many days late, and it could have been packed better.  So I got paranoid a bit and likely magnified in my mind the flaws I could see. I would have sent pictures but it was hard to hold the camera and hold the case so the thin slit on the side was visible.

Again, much appreciated.