• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I dont wanna be buried in a pet sematary.

50 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2018 at 9:07 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So this isn't Pet Cemetery 3.  Its a remake of the original.  From the trailer it looks exactly like the original.  What's the point then(shrug)?

Looks scary as hell...just like the original.  Or read the book (yes, I'm one of those Stephen King fans who prefer the book over the movies and will brag about it).

***IT was also a remake of the original but it looked nothing like the original...they improved on it

Don't know about bragging about it but I like to read the books first as well.  I read Pet Cemetery many years ago and it was FANTASTIC!  I could not turn the pages fast enough and finished the book in three reading sessions. 
The movie was pretty good.  Much better then "The Shining" IMO.

Not a fan of the twist either. Why would they reverse such a pivotal part of the story? It looks like they're going for that whole "creepy ghost girl" cliche, which has been done to death...how disappointing. I'm kinda pissed, tbh.

Zelda looks F'ing creepy though!

Edited by Darkowl

I completely disagree with the producer on this...

The producer explained to Entertainment Weekly:

“Trust me, we were nervous about it,” says producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. “I feel this way about anything that you remake or update. If we gave you what you had before, we didn’t do the subject matter much good. I’m very protective of movies too, but I want a new experience each time, and feel like filmmakers have really thought about the choice. That was one, we thought, ‘All right, let’s make this choice.’”

Edited by Darkowl

I think they shot themselves in the foot with that choice. I will say though, I actually do like the idea of the irony behind Ellie's cat being the culprit of her death. Unfortunately, that's not nearly as impactful. The original film totally nailed that crucial aspect of the story. 

Ugh. :eek:

Edited by Darkowl

It's not about being protective of movies (although I did really like the first one), it's about being protective of the source material (novel in this case).  Kind of a ridiculous statement.

And I wonder what they'll say is wrong with Zelda?  In this day and age people will probably get all bent out of shape (lol) about the depiction of SM.

Edited by Mystafo

I loved the original film. Strangely, I enjoyed the movie more than the book, and found it to be much scarier than it's novel counterpart. Even though I enjoyed some of the extra detail and explanation that the book had to offer, I overall thought it was just sad and depressing, rather than horrific, which is why I like the movie more. 

Edited by Darkowl

9 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

It's not about being protective of movies (although I did really like the first one), it's about being protective of the source material (novel in this case).  Kind of a ridiculous statement.

And I wonder what they'll say is wrong with Zelda?  In this day and age people will probably get all bent out of shape (lol) about the depiction of SM.

Ooh, good point! Didn't even think about that. Horror movies aren't supposed to hold back, but people are so sensitive nowadays, I feel that creativity can suffer from it.

5 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I can see that pov.  I wash the first movie had touched more on the source of the evil at the abandoned burial ground as this one maybe looks to do.

Totally. That's where I think the book really shined. I found it fascinating that the degree of evil of the returned dead is dependant upon on the season in which they were buried. That's the kind of detail that Stephen King uses to make you really fall into his stories.

Edited by Darkowl

17 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Totally. That's where I think the book really shined. I found it fascinating that the degree of evil of the returned dead is dependant upon on the season in which they were buried. That's the kind of detail that Stephen King uses to make you really fall into his stories.

Agree 100%

47 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

It's not about being protective of movies (although I did really like the first one), it's about being protective of the source material (novel in this case).

I disagree -- just like the movies are a different medium than the comics, so too do they differ from novels and short stories.

Even with a master like Steven King, some major changes can work -- and some of his film adaptations are stronger than the original stories.

Examples that come to mind?

The Mist, with its last two minutes

And The Shawshank Redemption, with Red being played by a black man.

Edited by Gatsby77

Ok I can see that too, but in today's movie world of remake after remake after etc. I hate how they use this particular time to come up with their brainstorm changes.  When a band does a cover of a really popular song and then plays an improvised completely different solo to the one the audience was looking forward to it always pretty much sucks (ok maybe its ok 1 time out of 20).  It's like "I couldn't come up with an original movie (or a book-based one) to write my ideas into so I'll change this one that everyone loves!" 

Edited by Mystafo