• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bagged comics...the funniest of ironies.

54 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Schmakt said:

+1... put them back in the back and then put the re-bagged comic in a myler/board.  *ugh*

I have not looked at those bags, or the comic books, in over 25 years, give or take. I imagine that the bags are, to say the least, "yellow;" the comic books better not be as they are stored in an acid "free" and climate controlled environment. Of course, the material that they are stored in is worth more than most of the comic books. :acclaim:

The days when a comic shop employee would believe they were doing you a service by offering you multiple bagged copies of X-Force 1 so you didn’t miss out on the complete set of all the trading cards, plus one extra on the pile to open and read.

I settled for one copy.  Bad enough to make me avoid buying Youngblood 1, and so a happy ending of sorts, I suppose.

Edited by Ken Aldred

If you purchased a McDonalds Hamburger in 1996 and left it in the wrapper, and opened it up today...it would look virtually the same.   This has been done.  Scientific fact:  (a Nutritionist famously purchased a McDonald’s hamburger in 1996 that she still carries around as a prop to discourage consumption of fast food in favor of unprocessed food).  

Why couldn't this technology have been used for X-Force #1.  Huh....huh....?

The thing about the bags is, yeah, if you're using it to hold a loose trading card (X-Force 1, X-Cutioner's Song) or a poster or whatever, sure, it makes sense. A bag keeps it all together.

Or if the book was in a bag because of adult content, that makes sense as well. Keeps the kiddies from browsing Black Kiss. Makes sense.

But I never understood why Spider-Man 1 was bagged. It wasn't holding or hiding anything. What purpose did the bag serve? Still makes me crazy.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The thing about the bags is, yeah, if you're using it to hold a loose trading card (X-Force 1, X-Cutioner's Song) or a poster or whatever, sure, it makes sense. A bag keeps it all together.

Or if the book was in a bag because of adult content, that makes sense as well. Keeps the kiddies from browsing Black Kiss. Makes sense.

But I never understood why Spider-Man 1 was bagged. It wasn't holding or hiding anything. What purpose did the bag serve? Still makes me crazy.

Because you had to buy two if you wanted to keep one unopened and also read it.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:25 PM, ExNihilo said:

How much are those bagged books worth?  X-Force #1?  Spider-Man #1?  X-Ecutioner's Song?  It seems the only bagged book of any value is Superman #75 Platinum Edition.  Otherwise it turns out it doesn't matter whether the book remained in the bag or was removed.  In either case, they're still $1 bin books.

Xforce #1 in 9.8 has been selling on eBay for around $125. I plan on submitting the one copy i have without the heat deal line down the cover.

1 hour ago, s.krank said:

@RockMyAmadeusSeriously, what other books would you be ok with the graders removing parts from before they encase it?

Wait, you were serious...? I thought you were being funny. 

If you weren't, obviously the bags and cards and whatnot aren't actually part of the book. Yes, I get that it's part of the "package"...hence the point of this whole thread...but they're not part of the book itself, and CGC cannot slab a book in a polybag. Well, they *could*...but it would be an awful mess.

I guess I'm of 1992 mind on this as I would still consider these to be incomplete without bag and cards.  

If I were interested in a slabbed copy of X-Force 1... I'm not... I'd definitely want the bag included.  They could at least give you the option.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:25 AM, s.krank said:

CGC has it wrong on these.  They should be getting green label incomplete if removed from the bag without the card and creases from said items should be considered production.

Wow, now I've heard it all . . . :roflmao:

5 hours ago, s.krank said:

Seriously, what other books would you be ok with the graders removing parts from before they encase it?

So, those bagged Superman books that had like a poster, a headband or whatever, and a bunch of other stuff, you want that all in the slab too?  That's insane.  The 90's got pretty crazy with what was inside the bag and not attached to the book at all.

I think this is 100% the right call, all sorts of stuff were inserted in polybags over the years, Some books would need a suitcase to slab.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

So, those bagged Superman books that had like a poster, a headband or whatever, and a bunch of other stuff, you want that all in the slab too?  That's insane.  The 90's got pretty crazy with what was inside the bag and not attached to the book at all.

I think this is 100% the right call, all sorts of stuff were inserted in polybags over the years, Some books would need a suitcase to slab.

It would be interesting to get a giant slab and slab all the individual components of such a bag in their own separate compartment... ;)

Like this, only a LOT bigger:

NGC22o.jpg&key=730c08e673823267484f2bbc0