Bagged comics...the funniest of ironies.

29 posts in this topic

607 posts
14 hours ago, Schmakt said:

+1... put them back in the back and then put the re-bagged comic in a myler/board.  *ugh*

I have not looked at those bags, or the comic books, in over 25 years, give or take. I imagine that the bags are, to say the least, "yellow;" the comic books better not be as they are stored in an acid "free" and climate controlled environment. Of course, the material that they are stored in is worth more than most of the comic books. :acclaim:

9,080 posts

The days when a comic shop employee would believe they were doing you a service by offering you multiple bagged copies of X-Force 1 so you didn’t miss out on the complete set of all the trading cards, plus one extra on the pile to open and read.

I settled for one copy.  Bad enough to make me avoid buying Youngblood 1, and so a happy ending of sorts, I suppose.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1,070 posts

If you purchased a McDonalds Hamburger in 1996 and left it in the wrapper, and opened it up today...it would look virtually the same.   This has been done.  Scientific fact:  (a Nutritionist famously purchased a McDonald’s hamburger in 1996 that she still carries around as a prop to discourage consumption of fast food in favor of unprocessed food).  

Why couldn't this technology have been used for X-Force #1.  Huh....huh....?

4,359 posts

The thing about the bags is, yeah, if you're using it to hold a loose trading card (X-Force 1, X-Cutioner's Song) or a poster or whatever, sure, it makes sense. A bag keeps it all together.

Or if the book was in a bag because of adult content, that makes sense as well. Keeps the kiddies from browsing Black Kiss. Makes sense.

But I never understood why Spider-Man 1 was bagged. It wasn't holding or hiding anything. What purpose did the bag serve? Still makes me crazy.

41,875 posts
On 10/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, 500Club said:

Fortunately, this funniest of ironies can be corrected by ironing of the funnies.

2k5h12.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

4,429 posts

The best was Ren and Stimpy #1, which came bagged with a secret message on the cover. The secret message is "You eediot! You opened the bag!! Now the comic ees worthless!!" lol

2,513 posts
10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The thing about the bags is, yeah, if you're using it to hold a loose trading card (X-Force 1, X-Cutioner's Song) or a poster or whatever, sure, it makes sense. A bag keeps it all together.

Or if the book was in a bag because of adult content, that makes sense as well. Keeps the kiddies from browsing Black Kiss. Makes sense.

But I never understood why Spider-Man 1 was bagged. It wasn't holding or hiding anything. What purpose did the bag serve? Still makes me crazy.

Because you had to buy two if you wanted to keep one unopened and also read it.

53 posts
On 10/12/2018 at 2:25 PM, ExNihilo said:

How much are those bagged books worth?  X-Force #1?  Spider-Man #1?  X-Ecutioner's Song?  It seems the only bagged book of any value is Superman #75 Platinum Edition.  Otherwise it turns out it doesn't matter whether the book remained in the bag or was removed.  In either case, they're still $1 bin books.

Xforce #1 in 9.8 has been selling on eBay for around $125. I plan on submitting the one copy i have without the heat deal line down the cover.

239 posts

CGC has it wrong on these.  They should be getting green label incomplete if removed from the bag without the card and creases from said items should be considered production.