• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A surprise visit from George Tuska at NY Comic Con!
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Got to meet him at SDCC back in the 90's super nice guy with lots of talent.Those are some cool books with his early work at Fox and his work at the Chesler shop which has always interest me.I had a great talk with him on some of that work as with Dynamic 11 and Bulls eye 11 which he did some great art for them.We have lost so many greats from that era and will never see the likes of them again so humble  just average guys to talk with !

Edited by comicjack

That looks like George Tuska  to me . :applause: I met him also years ago,  what a great guy. I talked to him about his early days , when I bought up Lou Fine he glowed. He said, he was the best with a brush!! I then showed him a Hit Comics # 5 I just purchased at the show. He said that it was beautiful and then showed it to his wife Dorathy.   Both were great people. Sadly he is missed.  BTW , I also bought a Mystery Men # 5 off of Harley at  another show.

Yep, looks like you got a real Tuska autograph there. I also met him at SDCC one year and had him sign a few things.As others have said, great guy and reallyt appreciated his fans. Sadly, not many at his table but was good for me because I got to hear some cool stories about the dawn of comics.

wings0a.JPG

wings5.jpg

wing0.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My only question though. Why, just why did you even tell Harley?

@Zolnerowich is a man of the most refined sensibility, the most scrupulous honor, the highest integrity ... and he had been drinking heavily at lunch. :)

I'm joking, I'm joking!  If Harley was asking $5K for the book without the sig and $7K with the sig, then $7K it will be! 

@Zolnerowich never concerns himself with debates over money or other such trifling matters. :sumo:

16 hours ago, comicjack said:

Got to meet him at SDCC back in the 90's super nice guy with lots of talent.Those are some cool books with his early work at Fox and his work at the Chesler shop which has always interest me.I had a great talk with him on some of that work as with Dynamic 11 and Bulls eye 11 which he did some great art for them.We have lost so many greats from that era and will never see the likes of them again so humble an just average guys to talk with !

Thanks for that brief anecdote, Jack. Yep, Tuska had a hand in so many cool books over the many decades. This cover of his is probably my favorite. Thanks to Jon Berk @jbcomicbox for providing the correct artist credits (changed from Lou Fine to George Tuska) back in 2006.

Weird_1.jpg.f9ba19123fa246c0857179a9d3b3f3bd.jpg

5 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

That looks like George Tuska  to me . :applause: I met him also years ago,  what a great guy. I talked to him about his early days , when I bought up Lou Fine he glowed. He said, he was the best with a brush!! I then showed him a Hit Comics # 5 I just purchased at the show. He said that it was beautiful and then showed it to his wife Dorathy.   Both were great people. Sadly he is missed.  BTW , I also bought a Mystery Men # 5 off of Harley at  another show.

Great story!!! I think Tuska has been quoted that Lou Fine was one of his influences (though Fine was only about 1.5 years older...)

You know what they say: great minds shop alike! Fun that we both got our Mystery Men #5's from Harley. It's a neat book.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Sqeggs said:

@Zolnerowich is a man of the most refined sensibility, the most scrupulous honor, the highest integrity ... and he had been drinking heavily at lunch. :)

I'm joking, I'm joking!  If Harley was asking $5K for the book without the sig and $7K with the sig, then $7K it will be! 

@Zolnerowich never concerns himself with debates over money or other such trifling matters. :sumo:

To be fair, @Sqeggs is the one who snuck the contraband hooch into NYCC in a Gerber 4-mil Mylar “bottle” protective case. It was a heck of a challenge cracking it out!

On 10/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Yep, looks like you got a real Tuska autograph there. I also met him at SDCC one year and had him sign a few things.As others have said, great guy and reallyt appreciated his fans. Sadly, not many at his table but was good for me because I got to hear some cool stories about the dawn of comics.

wings0a.JPG

wings5.jpg

wing0.jpg

Thanks for sharing, RM! That's so great you got to meet him. I think your example of Tuska's signature might be the best match to the one on my Mystery Men 5. :smile:

So the votes are in. Based on the 100's (1000's?) of years of collective experience from the esteemed boardies, the consensus is unanimous that the signature came from the very hand of George Tuska!!

Detailed metrics:

• Yea: 8
  • Presumed Yea (supportive but didn't specifically state yea or nay): 4
  • Nay: 0
  • Harley: "Huh?"