• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Worth CGCing the Byrne FF Run?

97 posts in this topic

This is one of those runs, like many from the 1980s and (especially!) 1990s, that is harder than you think it would be. It took me a couple of years to get #283 and Annual #18 and I was doing so with little concern for what it actually cost me. "rob, why didn't you just buy a couple of Byrne runs off of eBay and just sub them yourself, if you didn't care about cost? They're all over the place."

?

20180604_081208.thumb.jpg.525d3dbe7615db

31 minutes ago, rob_react said:

This is one of those runs, like many from the 1980s and (especially!) 1990s, that is harder than you think it would be. It took me a couple of years to get #283 and Annual #18 and I was doing so with little concern for what it actually cost me. "rob, why didn't you just buy a couple of Byrne runs off of eBay and just sub them yourself, if you didn't care about cost? They're all over the place."

?

Tell me about it. (thumbsu

53 minutes ago, rob_react said:

?

Interesting collection of books in that picture. ;)

11 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

lol I tried, but no such luck with those :sorry: maybe it'll be fresh in my mind now if I see one (thumbsu the 262 didn't have "CGC" in the listing title..... that was probably what made it not show up in a search, but also might be why it was still available at the time :foryou: glad that your were able to get it :whee: 

Thanks to everyone for the wise words. I'm going to submit some of the "keys" identified above by Flying Donut and Rob, with a 9.8 pre-screen, and see how they do.  But I'll hold off submitting the whole run based on everyone's input.  I'm only in the run for 60 cents or so a book, so if only a few books hit 9.8 then, even with the submission costs, the whole run will be paid for.  I will likely submit the extra copies I have of various books such as 232 and Ann. 18.  

28 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Thanks to everyone for the wise words. I'm going to submit some of the "keys" identified above by Flying Donut and Rob, with a 9.8 pre-screen, and see how they do.  But I'll hold off submitting the whole run based on everyone's input.  I'm only in the run for 60 cents or so a book, so if only a few books hit 9.8 then, even with the submission costs, the whole run will be paid for.  I will likely submit the extra copies I have of various books such as 232 and Ann. 18.  

I would also do the Galactus books because you never know.

17 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I would also do the Galactus books because you never know.

Speaking of which, have you subbed any of your Last Galactus Story in Epic, or is that on your radar?

It was #25-34, right? What a fantastic 9.8 run that would be.

58 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Speaking of which, have you subbed any of your Last Galactus Story in Epic, or is that on your radar?

It was #25-34, right? What a fantastic 9.8 run that would be.

I'm guessing that would be brutal to put together. 

Edited by rob_react

50 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I'm guessing that would be brutal to put together. 

Much harder than I thought:

25: 1 9.8 blue
26: 1 9.8 blue/1 9.8 sig
27: no 9.8s, HGC 9.6
28: 1 9.8 sig
29: 1 9.8 blue
30: 1 9.8 blue
31: no 9.8s, HGC 9.6
32: 1 9.8 blue
33: no graded copies at all
34: 4 9.8 blue/4 9.8 sigs

None currently for sale on eBay, no closed sales. Wow, this would be tough to do.

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Much harder than I thought:

25: 1 9.8 blue
26: 1 9.8 blue/1 9.8 sig
27: no 9.8s, HGC 9.6
28: 1 9.8 sig
29: 1 9.8 blue
30: 1 9.8 blue
31: no 9.8s, HGC 9.6
32: 1 9.8 blue
33: no graded copies at all
34: 4 9.8 blue/4 9.8 sigs

None currently for sale on eBay, no closed sales. Wow, this would be tough to do.

You'd have to find and sub them all yourself. :whatthe: 

5 hours ago, rob_react said:

?

I can attest to his fetish . . . :grin:

9 hours ago, divad said:

They are out there for sure . . . it's just that having them graded is such a bother:  :grin:

FF243a.jpeg

That wouldn't be a 9.8. Bounce next to the signature, small corner curl bottom right, little things at the top staple. This book is hard to find in 9.8.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

That wouldn't be a 9.8. Bounce next to the signature, small corner curl bottom right, little things at the top staple. This book is hard to find in 9.8.

:ohnoez:  :blahblah: lol

(Ask rob_react what he thinks of the books from this particular run . . . ) :grin:

FF244a.jpeg

Edited by divad