• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Things #15 is it the published art?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Burkey has a Swamp Thing #15 cover by Redondo on his site ( on hold). When I look at the inks very closely some areas look different. The links are close but some areas a slightly different. Looks like a recreation. Also his signature with the year doesn't match but they could have blacked it out on the published cover.

What is everyone's thought's? Scott being the inker I would love your opinion.

swamp-thing-v1_015_001.jpg

swamprdon.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

I put the 2 images into photoshop and overlayed the B&W image over the color, then played with the opacity of the B&W art. There are a number of areas that the figures don't align completely. Some of the detailed inking is different in spots also, but that could always just be from the inks bleeding or the film being overexposed.

After studying at the scan alot from Romitaman.com and comoaring it to the published comic. I can definitely say they are not the same and it is not the published cover art. Can't say if it was drawn during the time of the published cover or later but the inks do not match. Just compare the inks below the preacher. Those changes can not be explained by the printing process. 

This comic went on sale December 5th 1974, so everything about the comic was produced in 1974.  That date on the comic is the pull date, not the publish date, as has been the norm for decades.  Of course that makes the fact that Mike's piece is dated 1974 even more strange. How likely is is to do an original and a reproduction in the same year? Not very. Not back then.

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

I beg to differ...

since Mike Browning chose to go public with his comments...i'll go public with my comments.

Mike Browning never said ANYTHING to me........EVER........ And his 2016 San Diego comment is not correct.

Uh, Mike Browning isn't the person claiming that it's a recreation (or that he spoke to you at SDCC 2016).  Might be a good idea to delete his personal contact info from this thread.

Mike

I overlayed these in photoshop as well- the B&W image doesn't have the same shadow under Swamp Thing, feet are cut off- demon wings are not quite the same size. This is not the same image. Now certainly there could have been a production cover made, that extended the art to the borders and other tweaks, and with the Philippino artists, more liberties taken with the standard DC production process as the art could have been repurposed from a pin-up or splash or ad, but the fact that Redondo's signature is so large and placed so high, is very strange to me.  I could see if the inker wasn't the penciler that there could be a rational explanation for 2 similar pieces to be floating around. That happened before with the Buscema Conan pages that got inked by 2 inkers but this is hard to explain. Maybe he just did a recreation and noted the year that it was originally done, which was 1974. 

ST15.jpg

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

9 hours ago, romitaman said:

I beg to differ...

since Mike Browning chose to go public with his comments...i'll go public with my comments.

Mike Browning never said ANYTHING to me........EVER........ And his 2016 San Diego comment is not correct.

honestly......... i'd prefer more concrete information versus Mike's opinion here.

The published Swamp Thing #15 comic book came out as the march/april 1975 issue #15 and this actual art piece is dated 1974 directly in the art by Nestor Redondo...... and now all of the sudden its a RECREATION? LOL

now if you want to say this is somehow an unpublished Swamp Thing cover that looks 99% to the original.......AND it was drawn MONTHS BEFORE this actual comic ever hit the news stands.....fine.... i'll go with that analogy also.

or maybe certain aspects were changed in editing for this art to be the published cover?.

Has anyone out there ever seen another version of Nestor Redondo's Swamp thing #15 cover???

If so then I stand corrected and i falsely purchased this cover which was sold to me as the original cover art to swamp thing #15.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick on this one, Mike.  Michael Browning has made no accusations about the art.  

Edited by The Voord

17 hours ago, romitaman said:

I beg to differ...

honestly......... i'd prefer more concrete information versus Mike's opinion here.

The published Swamp Thing #15 comic book came out as the march/april 1975 issue #15 and this actual art piece is dated 1974 directly in the art by Nestor Redondo...... and now all of the sudden its a RECREATION? LOL

now if you want to say this is somehow an unpublished Swamp Thing cover that looks 99% to the original.......AND it was drawn MONTHS BEFORE this actual comic ever hit the news stands.....fine.... i'll go with that analogy also.

or maybe certain aspects were changed in editing for this art to be the published cover?.

Has anyone out there ever seen another version of Nestor Redondo's Swamp thing #15 cover???

If so then I stand corrected and i falsely purchased this cover which was sold to me as the original cover art to swamp thing #15.

Also...is this the same MIKE BROWNING who ordered the following art below from me on july 4th from my website and has refused to pay nor respond to any of my countless emails i've sent him for the past 3.5 months???

should i now contact you via this website to ask you to pay for art you order from now on mike?

just curious!

Mike,

This is Steve Kriozere. It was not Mike Browning who spoke to you at SDCC 2016 about the Redondo Swamp Thing. It was me. You must have incorrectly read this thread. There is no reason to jump on Mike Browning. He did nothing wrong. And you should take down his personal information and that unpaid invoice. Talk to him privately about that unpaid item if you want to get paid.

Regarding the Swamp Thing #15 piece, I saw it listed for sale in 2016 from Dennis Villegas on CAF for $1,000 as a recreation by Redondo. I then later saw it in one of your updates in June or July 2016 (before SDCC) for $15K. It looked very familiar but it also mentioned in your website description that a European collector owned this cover for over 40 years. I know you list consignments on your website, so wasn't sure if you owned it or it was a consignment item and someone else actually owned and you didn't even have the cover in your possession. When I later saw it on your convention wall at SDCC 2016 I asked if you owned it and you said you did. You may have gotten in a purchase or a trade. I don't remember. But I did mention to you that it was listed, and sold by Dennis on CAF as a recreation by Redondo. You told me it was the original published cover. I left it at that.

When I saw the piece in your update in 2016 I emailed Dennis about it and he confirmed that it was a recreation done in 1980 by Redondo. You can see our email exchange below (start at the bottom). Dennis sold the piece for $450. I do not know who Dennis sold it to, he did not say and I did not ask. None of my business. But somehow that same piece made it to you and your collection and your convention wall at SDCC 2016. You should talk to whomever you bought or traded it from (in Europe?) who said it was in their collection for 40 years. I'm sorry I did not press the matter further at SDCC 2016 and it wasn't probably the best venue to do so since it's insanely busy there for you. But like you said there have been no other versions of the #15 cover, so it's entirely possible this piece has always been the published cover.

Steve K.

---------------------------

Danilo Villegas ()To:you Details
No somebody else. Im quite sure he understood it was a 1980 remake by redondo. 

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Jul 2016, at 7:05 PM, skro@aol.com wrote:

Did Mike Burkey purchase it from you?

-----Original Message-----
To: skro <skro@aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Jul 7, 2016 2:34 am
Subject: Re: Swamp Thing cover

Hi Steve
Yes i sold it for 450 i guess but i dont know who owns it now
best
dennis

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Jun 2016, at 9:17 PM, skro@aol.com wrote:

Hello Dennis,

Weren't you selling this piece via CAF for $1,000 as a re-creation by Redondo?

Strange that whoever purchased it is now selling it as the original cover on Mike Burkey's website.

Best,

Steve
Edited by lobrac

18 hours ago, romitaman said:

I beg to differ...

Also...is this the same MIKE BROWNING who ordered the following art below from me on july 4th from my website and has refused to pay nor respond to any of my countless emails i've sent him for the past 3.5 months???

should i now contact you via this website to ask you to pay for art you order from now on mike?

just curious!

7/4/2018 7:53:00 AM
Email Content Want List Sent From Romitaman.com

Want List Items
   Description     Total Price
FLASH%20SUBSCRIPTION%20ADVERTISEMENT.jpg Giordano
Flash 1979 DC Subscription Ad Page
   $1500.00
    USA Shipping Cost: $25
    Current Total: $1525.00
Email:  
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Browning
Address:  
Address2:  
City:  
State:  
Zip Code:  
Phone:  
comments: Mike, I really want to buy this. Please hold it for me. can I make payments on this?

I'm no fan of Mike Browning, but...his other business (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the Swamp Thing piece. At least not as presented by either of you to this point. Further, completely against netiquette and (I'm nearly certain without looking it up) the rules of this board to publish his private information in the form of city, state, zip, and phone number. Good job Mike...just when I thought it couldn't happen, you've underwhelmed me again. Burkey, not Browning, that is. To date Browning has not been able to surpass his own previous low water mark. IMHO ;)

Edited by vodou
to delete Burkey's massive faux paus of un-privating Mike Browning's personal information!

My apologies to the group...i thought it was mike browning who claimed to say something to me in 2016 san diego con which i know never happened with him...and that's what upset me in my previous post.

people here can post .......with ZERO accountability .....with multiple screen names...... without ever posting their real names or even an email address to verify when they make false statements. (which happens a lot, without any backlash sadly) 

i'd have realized who the original poster was had I known their name ....so again.....My Apologies for my mistake there.

I bought this cover for 4000 dollars cash in 2016 as the original 1974 swamp thing #15 cover and i also emailed this Dennis fellow last night to try to get to the bottom of this as I've never heard of him before last night.

I will certainly try to get my money back for being deceived by this collector.

MIKE BURKEY

Edited by romitaman

10 minutes ago, romitaman said:

people here can post .......with ZERO accountability .....with multiple screen names...... without ever posting their real names or even an email address to verify when they make false statements. (which happens a lot, without any backlash sadly)

Please point us all to these false statements (plural, meaning more than one, so it should be easy). The rest of your statement is true, except your without any backlash as that generally does happen when a post falls outside the bell-shaped curve norm, whether "true" or not. Otherwise...no evidence of false statements = a false declarative statement by you.

My experience is this sub-board (comic art, don't know about any other areas) is that the level of maturity/honesty is pretty high except when it's occasionally not and that stuff gets stepped on pretty quick. So...Mike? Looking for your response...

15 hours ago, MGS said:

Uh, Mike Browning isn't the person claiming that it's a recreation (or that he spoke to you at SDCC 2016).  Might be a good idea to delete his personal contact info from this thread.

Mike

This isn't cool at all, exposing people's private information on the web out of spite.  He even got the wrong guy, so it could be anyone's information who's bought from Mike before. 

While not following through on a purchase is not cool, I think Romitaman got your answer after the 2nd or 3rd email not being replied to.

It looks like Romitaman has deleted his post, so now the only people doxxing him are the ones who quoted Romitaman's original post. Might be cool to delete that part in your quotes. :)

Edited by Twanj

Just now, Twanj said:

While not following through on a purchase is not cool, I think you got your answer after the 2nd or 3rd email not being replied to.

It looks like Romitaman has deleted his post, so now the only people doxxing him are the ones who quoted Romitaman's original post. Might be cool to delete that part in your quotes. :)

I didn't quote him, so maybe the Mods need to remove those reply posts. 

It still remains that he does not value his customers' private information.  It could have been anyone who's done business with him before that gets doxxed if you innocently make him angry or getting caught in the crossfire like in this case.

I would disagree that, "people here can post .......with ZERO accountability"

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

My apologies to the group...i thought it was mike browning who claimed to say something to me in 2016 san diego con which i know never happened with him...and that's what upset me in my previous post.

i'd have realized who the original poster was had I known their name ....so again.....My Apologies for my mistake there.

I bought this cover for 4000 dollars cash in 2016 as the original 1974 swamp thing #15 cover and i also emailed this Dennis fellow last night to try to get to the bottom of this as I've never heard of him before last night.

I will certainly try to get my money back for being deceived by this collector.

MIKE BURKEY

I was out to dinner with my wife and checked my phone and I was quite upset see that all my personal information was posted on this thread by a vengeful Mike Burkey and he makes APOLOGIES TO THE GROUP when I was only asking if anyone had let him know that the art he had up for sale wasn't a published cover?

APOLOGIES TO THE GROUP?!?

How about me, Mike? Where is the apology to me for you posting my personal information?

You can't claim that you posted without knowing who started this post because the REAL NAME OF THE REAL PERSON WHO STARTED THIS THREAD IS RIGHT THERE AT THE TOP.