• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low-grade keys... CGC them or not? TTA27 and 35, photos attached... EDIT: a funny thing happened at CGC...

15 posts in this topic

Somebody posted guidelines for CGC'ing a while back, but I can't find them.

The top of the TTA 35 cover is split about an inch. FYI. And why do the back covers load upside down?

And now I've got two of the TTA27 back covers in there and can't get one out. Urgh. Whatever. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your counsel and advice. :)

1618946169_IMG_32832.thumb.JPG.43baa20aa663270247abf6884d6bf167.JPG

IMG_3284.thumb.JPG.7723d5b65c5ca9070d0d09ecfd786e5e.JPG

IMG_3286.thumb.JPG.56110d45bdcf45be563b572f859ab040.JPG

IMG_3287.thumb.JPG.ef7e948ce5ba263bda61baafdbb2983f.JPG

IMG_3288.thumb.JPG.7242eb031507d6c948b600aef78d4eff.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

Edited by oldrover

1 minute ago, faster friends said:

Between this one and the Hulk 1 you have been very fortunate indeed.

Also, they took my Avengers 4 (9.4 PLOD), and were able to get me the Conserved label in regrading, with the same grade! It had been cleaned.

Happy to say my experience with CGC has been fabulous. 

I don't expect much of an impact on grade on this, but a 4.0ish PLOD is worth a lot less than a blue 4.0. Lucky I pre-screened it!!!

How much does it cost to take off some "minor" color touch? Or is it a book-by-book estimate?

And does CGC re-slab if your send in a PLOD for CT removal or do they charge you for a whole new grading?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

How much does it cost to take off some "minor" color touch? Or is it a book-by-book estimate?

And does CGC re-slab if your send in a PLOD for CT removal or do they charge you for a whole new grading?

Cost so far has been the same as the grading level. And they do charge for a whole new grading. They don’t suggest removal and/or pressing on every screened book either. BUT... in my experience, if they suggest it, you should do it. :) 

10 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Cost so far has been the same as the grading level. And they do charge for a whole new grading. They don’t suggest removal and/or pressing on every screened book either. BUT... in my experience, if they suggest it, you should do it. :) 

OK, I read their prices. 2.5% of FMV on a $30Kish book to scrape the CT off? Seems odd, it could be one little scrape or 20 plus unsealing some tears, etc. No proportion to the amount of work they're doing, just the risk of messing up the book in the process.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, the blob said:

OK, I read their prices. 2.5% of FMV on a $30Kish book to scrape the CT off? Seems odd, it could be one little scrape or 20 plus unsealing some tears, etc. No proportion to the amount of work they're doing, just the risk of messing up the book in the process.

But the FMV I gave the Hulk book was what I paid... $2000. And they did not bump that up.

Edited by oldrover