• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is why no one likes the Donnellys
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Buy an unpublished, undated Ricardo Villamonte Moon Knight/Brother Voodoo piece in auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/ricardo-villamonte-moon-knight-and-brother-voodoo-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7187-94783.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Create stats and claim the piece was a published and/or alternate cover:

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=1413032

Here is the actual published Moon Knight #21 cover by Sienkiewicz. The title stats were lifted off this one and used on the undated Villamonte piece. There is no record anywhere that the Villamonte piece was ever published.

https://www.comics.org/issue/36526/

‘nuff said

Edited by lobrac

I would think this is boarder line fraud.  They claim its a "Fill In Issue" whatever that means.  I guess when it comes down to legal they could say he we disclosed that "WE" Filled in the issue with BS stuff!!!  I consider myself still a newbie in this area of comic collecting but from what I have read on here, I would not buy anything from them.  Plus, again as a newbie, I find it very frustrating that i have to contact them to get a price.  But then to hear that once you get a price, that the next time you inquire about it or want to make payment, the price has suddenly increased.  Well, I wont be doing any business with them, Sorry!!

17 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Why anyone would buy off the Donnellys I don't know.

Donnelly's have a vast trove of 1970s and 80s original artwork at aggressive prices. Sometimes you have to deal with the Devil you know rather than .... :shy:

On CAF they used this description:

"Fill in issue of MK for VINCENTE ALCAZAR story"

On their website they altered the description to this:

"Fill in issue of MK for VINCENTE ALCAZAR story Ricardo Villamonte cover redone by Bill"

Does anyone care to translate that word salad?

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Donnelly's have a vast trove of 1970s and 80s original artwork at aggressive prices. Sometimes you have to deal with the Devil you know rather than .... :shy:

I get that they have some great stuff but nothing they own is worth selling my dignity for, if I had any dignity.

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

On CAF they used this description:

"Fill in issue of MK for VINCENTE ALCAZAR story"

On their website they altered the description to this:

"Fill in issue of MK for VINCENTE ALCAZAR story Ricardo Villamonte cover redone by Bill"

Does anyone care to translate that word salad?

EB3401F9-D9BE-4457-AEC2-FDB4248E70BD.jpeg

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

They have a piece I would love to own but they have "modified" it so now it is worthless to me without holding it in hand to see if it can be "unmodified" and it just isn't worth the effort.

This. They have a piece I considered buying before they bought it but then wrote it off. I saw it somewhat recently and the price was not out of the realm of reasonable but they had altered the art which makes it worth less than one of those eBay "production" pieces to me ... they are a black eye to this hobby

^Agreed. I was going to bid on the Riddler Dark Victory cover until I inquired with Heritage and learned the stats were permanently affixed directly to the art, which wasn't listed in the description until I e-mailed them. I know the previous owner who traded two Dark Victory covers to the Donnellys for a Tim Sale Captain America: White splash (and he covered shipping both ways), and the art did not have stats with him.

Doesn't matter how much I like a piece, I do not wish to own any Donnelly's collaboration of artwork in which they have effectively burned the piece for me through irreversible [and significant] modification. Any auction I see stats on, I will pause and inquire.

Several month's back I stated in another topic that I had seen an increased number of their 'questionable' items reappearing on reputable dealer sites.  Still seeing this, in auctions, at dealers, cons, etc... but they are definitely finding other channels due to a sorely damaged (worthily so, it seems) reputation.  Once tainted...forever ruined.  EVERY piece they touch should be put in a database for future reference.  If dealers are sending items to reputable auction houses, should it be noted the source for provenance? Inks added, stats glued,, items misrepresented, and who knows what the hell else.  At least what remains untainted is still here and not destroyed (until there's a few bucks in it that is).