• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling CGC Keys from Canada

54 posts in this topic

Hi their boardies.  It's been a while since I have been on this board.  I may be considering selling off my collection.   I live in Canada and wonder what would be the best way to do so.   I know these boarders are probably the best place as I have bought things offs this board.  I was just wondering is the members here could offer any advise selling from Canada.   I am presuming that people may be more reluctant from buying from a seller in Canada vs the US.  I have always been a collector and rarely sold anything.  I have several key issues that run between 1000$ to 11,000$ that are CGCed that I am considering letting go.  As well I have a lot of stuff that is raw.   I'm not the greatest person at grading stuff.   Most of the raw stuff I have bough had a grade deemed by the seller but I am not a grader.  How do I know I am being fair to both myself and the potential buyer?  Any tips or advise appreciated.

Thanks 

8 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Hi their boardies.  It's been a while since I have been on this board.  I may be considering selling off my collection.   I live in Canada and wonder what would be the best way to do so.   I know these boarders are probably the best place as I have bought things offs this board.  I was just wondering is the members here could offer any advise selling from Canada.   I am presuming that people may be more reluctant from buying from a seller in Canada vs the US.  I have always been a collector and rarely sold anything.  I have several key issues that run between 1000$ to 11,000$ that are CGCed that I am considering letting go.  As well I have a lot of stuff that is raw.   I'm not the greatest person at grading stuff.   Most of the raw stuff I have bough had a grade deemed by the seller but I am not a grader.  How do I know I am being fair to both myself and the potential buyer?  Any tips or advise appreciated.

Thanks 

There are several of us Canadian boardies that would be happy to look at the collection and give you an offer. My suggestion is go that route and get multiple offers first before looking at consigning them elsewhere. You will likely get a price that you are happy with and will avoid the hassle of packing and shipping the books to the USA. Besides, based on what I have seen personally over the past decade or so, Canadian collectors/dealers will pay more than US dealers do.........

10 hours ago, kimik said:

There are several of us Canadian boardies that would be happy to look at the collection and give you an offer. My suggestion is go that route and get multiple offers first before looking at consigning them elsewhere. You will likely get a price that you are happy with and will avoid the hassle of packing and shipping the books to the USA. Besides, based on what I have seen personally over the past decade or so, Canadian collectors/dealers will pay more than US dealers do.........

Really?  Did you just post that Canadian dealers pay more then US dealers?  

As a result of paying elevated shipping from the US, you could say Canadian collectors and dealers have to pay more than our neighbors in the US, but using that as a buying tactic is a bit of a stretch.

What part of Canada are you in?  In-person is easiest.  Couldn't hurt to get a few local offers, and then weigh it against opinions here.  Just be clear you're shopping it around.

11 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Really?  Did you just post that Canadian dealers pay more then US dealers?  

Canadian collector/dealer types like me and a few others I know definitely do. If I get a chance to make an offer on a collection, I almost always land it even if there are other collector/dealer types and US dealers offering on it.

The only time it did not work out was on a collection in Calgary a few years back. My offer was 50% more than what Harley Yee and Comicage George were willing to pay, but they went with cash the night before I was going to pick it up and the owner must have needed the funds and took it. I had a bank draft with me - so I did not get the books and was out the cost of the bank draft to boot. 

On October 15, 2018 at 9:34 PM, kimik said:

Canadian collector/dealer types like me and a few others I know definitely do. If I get a chance to make an offer on a collection, I almost always land it even if there are other collector/dealer types and US dealers offering on it.

The only time it did not work out was on a collection in Calgary a few years back. My offer was 50% more than what Harley Yee and Comicage George were willing to pay, but they went with cash the night before I was going to pick it up and the owner must have needed the funds and took it. I had a bank draft with me - so I did not get the books and was out the cost of the bank draft to boot. 

What year was this? I recall CDN was at par with USD a few years ago. Now, you're looking at a 30% difference in favour of the greenback. 

4 hours ago, cosmic_surfer said:

What year was this? I recall CDN was at par with USD a few years ago. Now, you're looking at a 30% difference in favour of the greenback. 

It was 2014 i I recall correctly. It does not matter what the dollar is at - I include the exchange rate in my offer. The collection I picked up this August cost a lot, but the owner knew what it was worth and I am pretty certain now had shopped it around a bit (it sounds like he had a couple of offers in the $50-$60K range now). I gave him an estimated range up front that was significantly higher than what others offered and we went from there. 

Edited by kimik

I would try to either sell or consign to a big online dealer/Auction  or do it yourself on Ebay. The last place I would sell to is a Canadian LCS. It has been my experience when I've tried to sell books (not drek, good solid bronze and copper keys) that they lowball pretty badly with no wiggle room. I had GS X-MEN 1 CGC 5.0 that I wanted to sell 3 years ago as I upgraded my copy. The highest offer I got from 6 shops was 40% of OSPG. One guy tried to justify his offer by saying that it wasn't a very in demand book. ?

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

40% is better than what some of the stores here will offer. I won't name them, but there are a couple that will only offer 30% of OSPG max and people still sell their books to them.  doh! And yes, they get nice collections and keys in on a regular basis.

15 minutes ago, kimik said:

40% is better than what some of the stores here will offer. I won't name them, but there are a couple that will only offer 30% of OSPG max and people still sell their books to them.  doh! And yes, they get nice collections and keys in on a regular basis.

Funny thing is all of them use GPA and Ebay sold listings for their pricing. One shop will list their books at GPA+10% and then give a discount cause "they like you". Guess how much the discount is??

Edited by Krydel4
Spelling

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Didn't you just quote this above?  "Besides, based on what I have seen personally over the past decade or so, Canadian collectors/dealers will pay more than US dealers do........."

Yet the Local stores are offering 30-40% OSPG?

Maybe this quote should have been I pay more then most collector/dealers.

36 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Didn't you just quote this above?  "Besides, based on what I have seen personally over the past decade or so, Canadian collectors/dealers will pay more than US dealers do........."

Yet the Local stores are offering 30-40% OSPG?

Maybe this quote should have been I pay more then most collector/dealers.

I said a couple of the local stores do. There are others that pay more that I will sell stuff to from collections that I don't want/need. However, there are two stores that amaze me with their continuous success with lowballing since a lot of the people selling to them are likely their regular or past file customers. If the collection owners would just take the time to google comic stores in Edmonton they would find other shops that would pay more right away

There are also a number of part time collector/dealer types like me that pay top dollar for collections. It makes for a very competitive buying environment, which makes me shake my head when I see a person sell two long boxes of mid grade BA Marvels with most of the keys in them for $200 per box at one of the stores. 

The two stores I am referencing above were involved in a collusion play in the late 90s on a high grade mid 40s - mid 50s collection that surfaced locally. The owner died and his widow contacted all of the stores in town. Three of them said they were interested and after a few phone calls they figured out that they were the only ones in on the purchase and decided to work together instead of competing for it. One of the stores had the gall to ask a file customer (a collector friend of mine) to grade and price the collection, telling him that they could not afford it. He spent a few days going through the books thinking he could , came up with an offer that he could afford, and then gave it to the store owner excited at the chance to buy the collection. The store owner called the widow in, showed her the offer from his file customer, and then gave her a counter offer of a couple hundred more. She called the other two stores after that and they gave her lower offers, so she accepted the offer from the first store. The three store owners split the cost and the books, saving themselves $10,000+ along the way, and made a killing when they sold the books.  

Edited by kimik

11 hours ago, kimik said:

I said a couple of the local stores do. There are others that pay more that I will sell stuff to from collections that I don't want/need. However, there are two stores that amaze me with their continuous success with lowballing since a lot of the people selling to them are likely their regular or past file customers. If the collection owners would just take the time to google comic stores in Edmonton they would find other shops that would pay more right away

There are also a number of part time collector/dealer types like me that pay top dollar for collections. It makes for a very competitive buying environment, which makes me shake my head when I see a person sell two long boxes of mid grade BA Marvels with most of the keys in them for $200 per box at one of the stores. 

The two stores I am referencing above were involved in a collusion play in the late 90s on a high grade mid 40s - mid 50s collection that surfaced locally. The owner died and his widow contacted all of the stores in town. Three of them said they were interested and after a few phone calls they figured out that they were the only ones in on the purchase and decided to work together instead of competing for it. One of the stores had the gall to ask a file customer (a collector friend of mine) to grade and price the collection, telling him that they could not afford it. He spent a few days going through the books thinking he could , came up with an offer that he could afford, and then gave it to the store owner excited at the chance to buy the collection. The store owner called the widow in, showed her the offer from his file customer, and then gave her a counter offer of a couple hundred more. She called the other two stores after that and they gave her lower offers, so she accepted the offer from the first store. The three store owners split the cost and the books, saving themselves $10,000+ along the way, and made a killing when they sold the books.  

Your friend made an offer on a collection that was then bumped up by the LCS and they made big money on the resale.  Sucks what the stored did but why didn't your friend make and offer that was closer to retail?  Did he think he could get it for a steal and was seeing dollar signs?

Hi everyone.   First I want to apologize that after posting this message I have not been around.   I have been really busy as of late.    I have not even read the comment on the thread yet. I promise to log in tonight at around 9-10pm EST after I put my girls to bed and answer. Any question and comments.   For those that may be curious I am in Montreal   I’m am in no need to sell any of my collection.  The thrill for me was always the hunt.   It’s been a few years that I have been quite on the comic scene and don’t have the same drive I used to have for the hobby.  So I am seriously considering selling my books.  I still have an attachment it it actually pains me to do so but the idea has grown in my that I might as well. It has also crossed my mind to maybe trade for 1 book an AF # 15 but as mentioned still mulling it. 

I also want to thank all those who have PM me. I appreciate your thoughts comments and interest.  One thing I can say is when i was  active in both collecting and on this board my experience here was amazing.  You guys kept it fun and interesting.   

Thanks