• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling CGC Keys from Canada

54 posts in this topic

I can't speak for dealers but as a collector when I find a book I want and buy it there's a couple hurdles we have to go through up here. 1) shipping and insurance costs can be much higher and 2) Duty fees can be a killer...ie: Ebay's Global Shipping program while convenient for sellers, adds like 20% to the cost oif books.

Fortunately I've been lucky to find sellers that help keep additional expenses down. For those that aren't Canadian-friendly I simply avoid buying from them unless it's an absolute no-brainer. 

Edited by c_mkv

On 10/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, FineCollector said:

As a result of paying elevated shipping from the US, you could say Canadian collectors and dealers have to pay more than our neighbors in the US, but using that as a buying tactic is a bit of a stretch.

What part of Canada are you in?  In-person is easiest.  Couldn't hurt to get a few local offers, and then weigh it against opinions here.  Just be clear you're shopping it around.

I'm in Montreal and as I stated I am contemplating selling my books.   I have not yet decided officially that I will.  

On 10/17/2018 at 3:01 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Accept US cash only.

Don't fall for the line..."I'm a collector, it's for my personal collection." 2c 

I know what I have and what things are worth.   I subscribe to GPA.  I would prefer USD but hell who am I to refuse CAD + 30%.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:04 PM, Krydel4 said:

I would try to either sell or consign to a big online dealer/Auction  or do it yourself on Ebay. The last place I would sell to is a Canadian LCS. It has been my experience when I've tried to sell books (not drek, good solid bronze and copper keys) that they lowball pretty badly with no wiggle room. I had GS X-MEN 1 CGC 5.0 that I wanted to sell 3 years ago as I upgraded my copy. The highest offer I got from 6 shops was 40% of OSPG. One guy tried to justify his offer by saying that it wasn't a very in demand book. ?

I'm not desperate and if people think there is an opportunity to steal the books I suggest moving on.    If I decide on selling my CGC graded books they are going at or around GPA.   I guess that would eliminate most re-sellers.  

6 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I can't speak for dealers but as a collector when I find a book I want and buy it there's a couple hurdles we have to go through up here. 1) shipping and insurance costs can be much higher and 2) Duty fees can be a killer...ie: Ebay's Global Shipping program while convenient for sellers, adds like 20% to the cost oif books.

Fortunately I've been lucky to find sellers that help keep additional expenses down. For those that aren't Canadian-friendly I simply avoid buying from them unless it's an absolute no-brainer. 

I can relate.   I bought most of my books in the US.  Those who were Canadian friend mostly got my business.  I actually bought my ASM 300 9.8 here off the board.  Timed the shipping to arrive at my hotel while traveling in the US.  So yeah you need to be innovative.  

If you just want to move a few - everything you've posted would sell on this board.  (I'm not 100% sure about the ASM #678 just because I don't know much about that particular book, but the first 4, in/around GPA would go - and probably pretty quick!).

22 minutes ago, roach04 said:

If you just want to move a few - everything you've posted would sell on this board.  (I'm not 100% sure about the ASM #678 just because I don't know much about that particular book, but the first 4, in/around GPA would go - and probably pretty quick!).

That ASM #678 is around 3K.   Irony is I  had 2 identical up for sale here on the boards.  No one was interested at the time.  So I sold one copy on Ebay and kept the other one.  I then took the proceeds add another 200$ and got the ASM #129.   Did a resubmit hopping for a 9.6 but got it back at the same grade being 9.4.  Bummer was lost my white pages :(

Edited by Diaolos

From what i'm gathering it sounds like you already have all the tools you need to make a good decision and don't really need anything from us.

Sold books on E-Bay - check

Got GPA - check

Know what books are worth - check

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

From what i'm gathering it sounds like you already have all the tools you need to make a good decision and don't really need anything from us.

Sold books on E-Bay - check

Got GPA - check

Know what books are worth - check

Agree, I don't really understand the point of this thread?  Also, the OP says he's not looking to sell, just contemplating.  

16 hours ago, spreads said:

Agree, I don't really understand the point of this thread?  Also, the OP says he's not looking to sell, just contemplating.  

I think the OP either wants us to talk him into selling his books, or to talk him out of selling his books. Or both.

Ambivalence rocks.

Can anyone give me an idea what the cost of shipping and insurance of books would be from within the US?  I imagine way cheaper than from Canada.  Say you have 10k USD to ship.   Appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Can anyone give me an idea what the cost of shipping and insurance of books would be from within the US?  I imagine way cheaper than from Canada.  Say you have 10k USD to ship.   Appreciated. 

Domestic—Extra Services and Fees

Registered Mail

Declared Value

Fee (in addition to postage)

$0.00

$11.90

0.01 to 100

100.01 to 500

500.01 to 1,000

1,000.01 to 2,000

2,000.01 to 3,000

3,000.01 to 4,000

4,000.01 to 5,000

5,000.01 to 15,000,000

+ $1.60 per each $1,000 or fraction thereof

Over $15,000,000

$24,014.55

+ amount determined by USPS based on weight, space, and value

Additional Registered 
Mail Services

Fee (in addition to 
Registered Mail fee and postage)

Registered Mail COD Collection Charge 
(maximum amount collectible is $1,000)

$5.70

Registered Mail Restricted Delivery

Fees for articles valued over $50,000 are for handling only. Maximum amount of insurance coverage available is $50,000.

4 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Your plan is to bring books across the border to ship out of the US....better hope you don't get caught! 

2 hours ago, spreads said:
7 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Your plan is to bring books across the border to ship out of the US....better hope you don't get caught! 

Sounds like the plan is the opposite.  Bring them from Canada to the US, to ship to other parts of the US.  I don't think it'll be too hard get them in, assuming a normal car and normal interactions with border patrol.