• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay changes over the last 12 months
1 1

21 posts in this topic

What critical bits of new stupidity have they implemented on ebay since I last sold 12 months ago? (I am too lazy and stupid to research this myself.) I took a sabbatical to make sure any hot books I had back then cooled off. Apparently Old Man Logan ain't all that anymore, eh? 

Edited by the blob

Better post up the keys because everything else will get lost in the clutter.  It was bad a year ago but seems to be twice as bad now with the key or nothing mentality.

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Latest change I can remember off the top of my head is that you're forced to choose a publisher from a drop down menu now when listing comics.

Yep - that stunk when it was time to relist the store.  It went fairly quick in the bulk format but still took awhile to add the publisher for 500 items.

I am pondering a store well beyond the minimum so that I can park 500 - 1500 good items in there and not worry about stuff, but I dread the idea of putting the work into listing 1500 items and then maybe giving up when they jack up subscriptions or do something irritating. It's not like that effort can be transferred to some other venue/database. At least they still do self-hosting (right?) so that I don't have to mess around with photobucket. And their phaseout of paypal will create new problems.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am pondering a store well beyond the minimum so that I can park 500 - 1500 good items in there and not worry about stuff, but I dread the idea of putting the work into listing 1500 items and then maybe giving up when they jack up subscriptions or do something irritating. It's not like that effort can be transferred to some other venue/database. At least they still do self-hosting (right?) so that I don't have to mess around with photobucket. And their phaseout of paypal will create new problems.

You can always start slow and get the 250 listing for $20 a month and see how it goes.  The 1,000 listing store is a bit overwhelming especially if you price books low so you are not just rolling over most books month after month.  The 250 listing store is nice because you can roll them into an auction once a month at no cost and it easy to bulk move the books back and forth from set price auction to BIN.

19 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You can always start slow and get the 250 listing for $20 a month and see how it goes.  The 1,000 listing store is a bit overwhelming especially if you price books low so you are not just rolling over most books month after month.  The 250 listing store is nice because you can roll them into an auction once a month at no cost and it easy to bulk move the books back and forth from set price auction to BIN.

Once upon a time (like 14 or 15 years ago) I had a full 500 listing store. Back then people would buy a bunch of stuff to get free shipping, so most of my sales were people buying 5, 6, 7 items. ahhh, good times. But yeah, I hear you, I need to ease into it. I need to start creating some additional income streams. I'm adjuncting a class, which is nice. weird being called "professor". would love to do one of those a semester.

They said something about changing the return policy. 

Every month when I go to relist something pops up that I have to update my return policy as my current listings are non compliant to what eBay wants.

Every month I relist things unchanged anyway.

Things still sell. 

I have no incentive to go in and edit 188 items one by one. 

So... non issue.  Especially if items still sell. (shrug)

Next year though there are some significant changes coming (supposedly)

Without being able to read the ebay message you received to be sure, those messages indicate non-compliance with the Top Rated Seller policy, not general ebay policy. To maintain top-rated status these days, you have to offer 1-day handling time as well as free returns.

I’ve been selling car parts as well as funnybooks the last few months. It’s a PITA, but despite working full time I’m unsually able to ship books within that strict time frame. In the real world, that means if somebody places an order on the west coast late at night/early morning, I have between the time I wake up and 4:00 pm to get it in the mailbox. (Scheduling a pickup is not an option.)

With bulkier and heavier car parts that require a trip to the P.O., there’s no way I can ship that fast and no way I’ll eat a $25 return on postage for something heavy, so I extended my handling time to 3 days and dumped free returns for those listings, resulting in multiple messages from ebay about top rated seller compliance. My funnybooks display the TRS icon and receive the FVF discount, my car parts do not.